8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Newbie saying hello and a question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie saying hello and a question
Michael Mararian
Junior

- posted July 01, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Michael Mararian   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mararian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone - i just started my foray into 16mm feature film collecting with a focus, for now, on the Universal Horror films.
I have a few already I've acquired from some of the trusted dealers on-line (most of them posting here on occasion)for fair prices however I was wondering in Universal's case is there a basic pricing guide or range that I should be aware of?

for instance, someone is selling "Bride of Frankenstein" on Ebay
with this description...

"Excellent condition ORIGINAL print on 2 1600’ reels. Minimal wear and very few if any splices. Contrast and sharpness are fantastic with booming sound. The source negative had some wear seen in a few frames here and there mostly at the beginning of each reel which does not detract from the overall beauty of this print. Opens with UNIVERSAL plane circling globe. Complete with end titles and SCREEN GEMS logo. No vinegar smell. The images are from the actual film taken with a handheld digital camera as projected. Reasonable reserve."

his starting bid is $1,199 with a BUY IT NOW of around $1,350

Is that too expensive? Too Cheap? Is there any way of getting a sense of price points like a reference site out there to see what things have been selling for? I guess an example being like Christie's Auction house that lists the latest high price for any given artist. Or is it just one of those things you have to take chances on...?"

thanks in advance...sorry for such a verbose fist posting

Michael

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 01, 2010 02:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,

There is no reference guide as such.

My opinion on that BRIDE print is it's overpriced, though the SCREEN GEMS release is reportedly the best print of this title.
The most I would pay for even an excellent original of this title would be around about $500 or so.
But, they have sold for high prices before. It all depends on who wants it,how badly they want it and how much they're willing to pay.
[Smile]

As for general prices on Universal stuff, someone like Steve Sigel would be able to give you a rundown on this.
He's a member here so maybe he'll chime in.

Michael Mararian
Junior

- posted July 01, 2010 02:50 PM      Profile for Michael Mararian   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Mararian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Michael Thanks, that's what I figured - kind of like the wild west of collecting I suppose -- and I am familiar with Steven, I have bought a few things from him already! He's spot on.

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2010 04:24 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After a little experience you will get the feel for prices. Pretty much identical prints of a given title can fluctuate either way in a matter of weeks or months. For example, something could sell for $50 today and then $100 next month. All it takes is for 2 bidders to really want it and the price skyrockets.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC