8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Bell and Howell worm gear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell worm gear
Barry Webb
Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Barry Webb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all this is my first post and first time on a forum.I have been in to this hobby now for about 4 years starting with super 8 and then moving on to 16mm.I have about 6 bell and howells.
My problem is i have one 1695 that has had a new worm gear fitted by someone and it is to tight and the machine jams after a short time can any tell me if this this is a easy fix or a total strip down.
Barry

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 03, 2010 02:52 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry

There were a lot of black nylatron worms which were slightly over size and as they get hot they expand and jam.

It sounds if your installer (unwittingly) used one of these.

Open up the back, is the worm darkish grey in colour? If so, it's a nylatron single piece worm.

I suggest you contact your engineer immediately as it means a complete stripdown. It will either need a new worm or a "turn down" of the OD of the worm, and a corresponding reduction of the bottom of the groove.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

--------------------
Maurice

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2010 09:21 PM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
It may be installed backwards.I have seen this before.
on the 1695 which would cause binding.
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Josef Grassmann
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2010 08:40 AM      Profile for Josef Grassmann   Author's Homepage   Email Josef Grassmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a bit clerance between teeth of worm gear to top and lower gear when warmed up? Is is more difficult to crank it by hand when warmed up?
Otherwise it could be that claw mechanism is tighten too much.

Every time worm gear is changed full service / inspection has to be carried out to ensure that projector runs smoothly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC