8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Color correction for 16mm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Color correction for 16mm?
Zachary Reader
Junior

- posted November 24, 2010 06:49 PM      Profile for Zachary Reader   Email Zachary Reader   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a film I'm considering purchasing and since its very red, I would like to buy a color correction lens. Does anyone know of a website I can get one of these?

Thanks [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 24, 2010 07:02 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zachary,

Here's a link to a review I did of Wittner-Cinetec's Color Rebalance Filter.

As I say in the review, if your print is totally red nothing will work!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2010 10:21 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just find a 50c color correction filter to attach to your lens. It will do the same thing. Here's one for $5:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-COLOR-COMPENSATING-FILTER-CC50C-CAT-149-6579-/230497388920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aab70978

and even a bigger one, 6 inches square:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KODAK-COLOR-COMPENSATING-FILTER-CC50C-CAT-149-6579-/230497388920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35aab70978

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 25, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't waste your time.

A faded print is a faded print.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2010 05:12 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite Larry..... CHECK the POSTAGE CHARGE!!!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 25, 2010 11:16 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a look at the Kodak filter mentioned by Larry and the packaging says "keep in a cool dry place", so I suppose this one would not be made of glass?

Martin - Even with the postage added, $10.99 doesn't seem excessive for a US buyer, if the product is effective!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple other things to try to bring out color would be to use a silver screen or even a light blue bed sheet to project warming prints on.

Another alternative is find a place that sells high end telescopes and ask them what filter lenses they use to make the colors pop on distant planets.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 27, 2010 02:28 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or just buy the DVD!

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 06:04 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
It may not be a lot altogether but I just have a thing about excessive postal charges.... in this case $4.99 for the item and
$13.99 for postage, which makes $18.98 altogether (not $10.99!)

The "bargain" is not a bargain after all, especially asa at the end of the day the filter will not help anyway..... "a faded print is a faded print".....you cannot put back that which has GONE_ the other colours!
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2010 03:58 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...or just buy the DVD!
[Razz] Very true Mike, when all tinkering is done, a faded print is a faded print and the best way to have perfect color is the DVD...works great for V.S. cure too [Wink]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 28, 2010 02:46 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see no reason at all for messing around with faded prints - OK, perhaps if it is ABSOLUTELY the only way a particular title can be seen.

I would prefer film to anything digital any day, but not a print which shows such an amount of fade that one feels one needs to "correct" it.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 28, 2010 07:47 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin - I share your dislike of excessive postal charges, but as the member who started this thread is in the USA, the $10.99 I mentioned was a reference to the total it would cost him to buy the filter.

It's a personal view, but I think such filters do help in some situations if there's still some colour left. Doug's link above to the thread in which he illustrates the diffence in relation to a selection of prints seems to support this.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2010 06:08 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

the above eBay-filters are "Optical Gelatin Filters" ( http://www.motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/OpticalGelatinFilters.pdf ) and hence not made of glass/plastic.

Jörg

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 29, 2010 05:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS!

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 29, 2010 05:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anybody wants a set of these filters (3) I have a set I'm not using because I actually have 2 sets.The cost is 10.00 which includes postage in USA. I take paypal.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2010 02:01 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks @ Larry Arpin for simplifying the matter. I finally bit at that price (found one for $9 with shipping for 6"), and it just came in the mail. Granted, I haven't projected yet, but slapping the filter down over the film on a light table with a loup, it looks extrememly promising! I checked out my Jaws print first, which I unfortunately just showed--wish I had had this first. Then my print of Nashville, which is far more faded, and the results actually looked even better in terms of the rescue being done, if not the final result. I would wager, based on looking at the pics here, that compared to that Wittner filter, this allows more light (in color, and probably as a gel vs. glass, though correct me if that's wrong) and a less aggressive lean towards green (or the intensity of the blue), so when it is doing nothing more than removing red, the blue balance left behind is more natural than either the red or the sickly blue-green of the Wittner at it's worse--although it may work less miracles than the Wittner at its best. Maybe things will be different when I actually project, but if anyone would like to see scans of these prints, with a frame under the filter and one without, let me know, and I will get to it sometime soon.

Andy Davis
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Andy Davis   Email Andy Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I projected the films today, and the difference from what I saw on the light table is fairly significant. Nashville looked pretty terrible. I would rather go with the vibrancy of the original faded film than muted blue highlights, which just trade one set of flaws for another.
Jaws, which has significantly more color, was a different story. I could see maybe using the filter or one similar. The color correction was great and the blue highlights fairly mininmal. The main drawback, again, was the muted quality of the image. On the face of it, the picture was quite nice, and color-wise vastly improved. With no basis of comparison an audience would be very pleased, I think. But when you pull the filter away there is such a leap in tactile vibrancy--an immediate "hey, we're watching a movie!" feeling, like it's coming off the screen, compared to the relative politeness of the filtered image. The reason I say I might use a filter to show Jaws is I did find a compromise which is probably going to sound pretty cracked-out. If you lower the filter so that maybe a fourth to a fifth of the top of the image slips over the edge of the filter, the screen gets a much-needed boost of vibrancy and warmth. Weirdly, it doesn't register that there is a band of unfiltered image at the top of the screen--it all registers as a happy cross between the "trapped in amber" feeling of the completely filtered image and the unchecked warmth of the unfiltered image. I would probably do a test of a third or so of the film to confirm that it does not produce a weird result in any scenes. The right spot is easy to find--if you slide it up and down, you get a sort of "a-ha" moment at one point.
My gel filter is already totally messed-up, scratch and mote-wise, so that may be contributing to things. Maybe I should get a glass version, but I'm not totally sold on pursuing this avenue so far. I did order a few other suggested types of gel besides the CC50C, but mainly it seems like a lighter shade of the the same color as the CC50C would be a better solution than allowing light to spill over the top of the gel...
I don't have a still camera, but again, if anyone is interested in seeing what I am talking about, I can shoot some Flip video of these tests at some point.

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2010 04:45 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zachary, I work in the Sensitometric control dept in a film lab., and I use colour filters in correcting all aspects of printing of motion pictures, and I have tried to correct the colour on faded 16mm prints at home without success. Adding filters to achieve correction is called a subtractive process, and it does just that, it may give the slight appearance of correcting the colour but also cuts down the light dramatically. It's interesting to experiment, but I've learned to live with my faded prints, and there's allways something special on seeing a film the proper way. Allan.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC