8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » ARE 16mm Bell & Howell Movie Projector Filmsound 535 Good Machines?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ARE 16mm Bell & Howell Movie Projector Filmsound 535 Good Machines?
Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2012 07:37 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
16mm Bell & Howell Movie Projector Filmsound 535 good models and do they scratch films. How do they operate after long time use?

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 535 is described as an economy model, it has manual thread which to some owners is a bit cumbersome.

I have many Bell & Howell projectors, including a 535, and have never had any trouble with their handling of film.

One big problem, however, is that of their notorious worm gear.

Are you thinking of buying a 535?

Do not buy blind, you need to see it and personally check the condition of the worm. If there are signs of cracking do not buy.

In the UK the replacement cost by a qualified engineer would be approximately £150, however, when stripped down, there might possibly be more work that is necessary.

With a new worm and a good service a Bell & Howell will last for many years.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 31, 2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, have no fear of scratching film with Bell & Howell 16mm
projectors, these people have been making excellent projection equipment for a long time and they know their stuff,Also B&Hs
are known to be very kind to old or shrunken film stock.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2012 01:11 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What and where is the worm gear? I just bought this BH from eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/170954825279?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I just bought a 16 mm 20,000 Leagues Feature 3X 1600 reels

--------------------
" Faster then a speeding bullet, more powerful then a Locomotive "."Look up in the sky it's a bird it's a plane it's SUPERMAN"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector has two sprockets. Each has a shaft with a gear on it.

The two gears are connected to a worm gear which runs horizontally across the mechanism.

The worm gear comprises a nylon thread on an aluminium former. Over time the nylon often starts to crack resulting in a very major job of the worm's renewal.

Take off the back and locate the two vertical gears, the worm is between them. Slowly turn the inching knob and look carefully with a torch (flash-light) to examine for cracks.

If the projector runs fairly quietly it should be OK. If it make quite a loud noise or the two stabiliser rollers move up and down rapidly it probably indicates a cracked worm which will cause the projector to run with vibration.

--------------------
Maurice

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 05:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi has been sending PMs about his projector problems so I am replying here so that fellow members can share his troubles and also, perhaps, offer advice.

Laksmi recently bought his Bell & Howell 535 from ebay and is experiencing problems:-

1) The motor runs but the mechanism does not
2) The exciter lamp does not light, although the filament is OK

As regard 1, this could be a slipping motor drive belt, and 2, could be poor contact between the lamp and its holder.

The ebay seller used the following phrases. "The machine is very clean and works very nice". "Sound is booming loud and clear". "Everything works".

The seller further states "No returns or exchanges, but item is covered by eBay Buyer Protecton."

As Laksmi paid quite a lot of money for the projector I suggest that he takes advantage of the eBay Buyer Protection and opens immediate proceedings to return the Bell & Howell and get his money back.

The valve (tube) amplifier model 535 was made between 1961 and 1969 and could be 50-years-old, however, there should be no problems if a projector of this age has been well maintained.

--------------------
Maurice

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 12:31 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Maurice thanks for the info here is more. I found out that the sound works I just did not wait long enough for the exciter lamp to warm up. I took the back off abnd found out the machine looks like it has two motors one on top of the other. Is this true? And the screw piece you talked about is lubed and good not cracked. The people said they can help me repair the machine because I wanted to try . THe lamp works,the sound, the motor and it looks to have all the gears and belts. the only belt that is working isthe middl;e belt conected to the big motor at the bottom to a top red joint thing that is coming out of a small motor ? Nothing is moving except the black fan belt I just discribed. Here is some things the guy told me to do. Hi Laksmi, so the claw assembly and motor all work,the exciter lamp now works, it's just
the spool arms that are faulty.On the arms are a couple of screws to remove that will give access to the cogs, inside will be a couple of cogs and a spindle with cogs on either end, make sure these are free moving and don't jam, a spray with WD40 or a light oil will suffice.On the take up arm

their is also the fabric belt,this may be very smooth on the inside and is not gripping as well as it should, it can be removed and turned inside out, so that the clean surface is in contact with the take up pulley.I have discovered that if you wash then in just soapy water, dryed off in a warm

oven ( not switched on ) for a few minutes till dry, the belt shrinks ever so slightly and is as

good as new.After this has been done,and the pulleys and cogs sprayed, then there is no reason

on earth why there is no take up.Leave the covers off while you test it, and all should be moving

as designed.Good luck.Hugh. It all is not moving ?????

Maurice I think I will take your advice and send it back to this guy. He said it worked and it is not working and I don't have time for all this. And it has many fan belts or gears. Do you know if elmo makes a good 16mm projector? And do they all have so many fan belts?

[ January 06, 2013, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Laksmi Breathwaite ]

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 06, 2013 05:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I also told you to return the machine if it seemed more than a
slipped belt or simple lubrication Laksmi. As Maurice rightly stated
buying blind on ebay can prove costly.There have been plenty
of 16mm projectors on this very forum for sale, one was being
sold only weeks ago by one member for $40.00,Michael is also
right in that the Elf projectors are very good, I have four myself
and they are, but I still prefer the B&H 2592s which are solid
workhorses and give great service.So learn the lesson and only
buy if you can see it working or from a forum member.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 06, 2013 08:29 PM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Hugh and all your advise. But I need a projector now I can't wait I want to see my new 20,000 Leagues film ASAP!. And I just won a ELMO on eBay for $130 plus shipping its discribed like this. Vintage Elmo 16-CL Channel Loading Optical 16mm Film Movie Projector. In good cosmetic and working condition. See photos. This has been tested, confirmed in working condition. Powers on and Lamp works. I trust Elmo because I have had them for years. I'm sending the other one back they agreed to a refund.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 07, 2013 02:02 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Laksmi, I've just received your email,but you didn't buy the projector from me,it's the sellers address you want.I am not
the seller.Anyway, a projector from the UK wouldn't be very cost effective.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 08, 2013 11:50 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
As a footnote,I re-read my emails from Laksmi, and I think I have
been confused with the seller, I thought it was advice I was
being asked for and I very nearly received a projector.

Laksmi Breathwaite
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2013 10:26 AM      Profile for Laksmi Breathwaite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Hugh this has been one big confusing mess! My entering the 16mm projector world Oh well you guys have been helpful.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 10, 2013 05:42 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope your new Elmo is okay Laksmi, I really am not as big
a fan of them as I once was because the Japanese never made
things to last, and I trust B&H, they do tend to. Elf are a nice
projector and can be taken apart with a Philips screwdriver, but
there hasn't been a projector built that won't need maintenance of
some description at sometime.So while the machine is working
I would suggest removing the back and having a look at what goes where for future reference.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2013 02:43 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason the UK calls EIKI projectors Elf. The US calls them by the manufactures name EIKI.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted January 10, 2013 05:41 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It does get confusing,but I think I prefer Elf, it sounds cute, and
we all should be aware of 'Elf & Safety David.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 10, 2013 10:50 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo CL 16 is a very good projector but it suffers from rollers that turn to goo. If yours are bad they can leave the goo all over your film. Replacements are available for about $100.00 and you can install them yourself. Google ELMO 16 CL ROLLERS and you will find many articles.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC