8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 16mm Len's Number Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 16mm Len's Number Question
Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2013 10:01 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm still new at this and I thought I remember hearing that you want a lower lens number for your projector, could someone please explain? My Eiki's came with F/1.4 so I got a F/1.2. I think it lets more light through? Now I'm thinking about getting a larger image lens, but it's a F/1.5. What are the cons, more flicker, not as bright picture? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Scott

|  IP: Logged

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 01:48 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott you actually already have it.... For brightness you want to get as close to an f/1.0 as possible and for image size the lower the number gets the bigger the image will be (ie: a 1 inch lens will give a bigger picture than a 2 inch lens) BUT the bigger the image gets the less bright your picture will be, so you need to come up with the best compromise for your particular screening room, since you will want to fill your screen with the brightest picture.... You should not have to worry about flicker period unless you start messing with your shutter, which it sounds like is still a ways off for you....The other thing to think about is depending on the optics in the lens the general rule of thumb will be the bigger the picture the harder it will be to keep a sharp focus so a 2 inch lens will tend to be sharper than a 1 inch lens....obviously there can always be exceptions, but this is the general rule...

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2013 08:06 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dino. My screening room is in a mid-sized room in the basement with a 8x8 screen. My Super 8 fills the screen but both of my 16mm projectors only look like a big screen TV on it, still lots of white space which gets frustrating. BUT it doesn't sound like the adapter with a F/1.5 lens will be my solution if I'm only going to get a big, fuzzy image.

--------------------
Scott

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC