8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 4mm thick wall rubber tubing for EIKI lens adjusting knob.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 4mm thick wall rubber tubing for EIKI lens adjusting knob.
Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 10, 2013 11:58 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

turns out the one on mine has gotten old and brittle [Frown] ... Any ideas on where I can get some, please [Big Grin] ? Thanks again!!!

Best,
ET

|  IP: Logged

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2013 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can probably get a new focus knob from Richard C Patchett quite reasonably. Check out his website. http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/eiki.html
Alternatively you can get tubing from model shops. The fuel pipes for Radio controlled planes works well. Fish tank supply shops sell tubing as well. As a quick fix you could wind plumbers PTFE tape around the focus knob shaft to the correct thickness, it should do the trick. However a new focus knob is probably the best way to go as they are really quite cheap to replace.

Paul.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem on my unit it turns out when i did get a new one old stock it was already starting to breakdown so i found a silicone rubber grommet that fit over the shaft nice and snug, but it was to big diameter wise so i used my exacto blade to whittle it down to the size needed and it works perfect, and if it goes bad I have more.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2013 11:30 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Paul and Jim,

thanks so much for the heads up [Smile] !!! I will be sure to try n fix it n will have a report on progress soon, gentlemen [Wink] ... In the mean time, hope y'all are having a great week [Big Grin] !!!

Best,
ET

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2013 07:44 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi friends,

I cannot thank you both enough. She's all fixed up n tip top now. Paul, I went out n got the PTFE tape you suggested and put that on the knob shaft first to thicken the diameter just a tad and provide a snug fit. Jim, I went out n got clear plastic tubing which was a tad too narrow, hence the aforementioned step. Together with the detailed description at the link below, I got the thing done PERFECT for under 3 Bucks... woot woot [Big Grin] !!! Thanks once more, guys, for making our forum JUST THE BEST!!!

http://www.acofs.org.au/part_4_files/Eiki/Eiki.htm

Cheers,
ET

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted June 12, 2013 11:49 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a particular type of windscreen washer tubing available in the UK that's absolutely perfect but I don't know if exactly the same thickness would be found in the USA. I'm not certain if getting an Eiki spare would have been a long term solution as they are bound to have been manufactured at least 10 years ago, and the later ones may be just as prone to disintergrating.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2013 01:27 AM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adrian,

thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to note that down in case the new solution doesn't do so well in the long run, good sir [Big Grin] !!!

Cheers,
ET

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2013 05:27 PM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any hobby shop that sells r/c airplane kits should have silicone fuel tubing they sell by the foot. Its available in various sizes and very inexpensive

When I needed to replace mine I went into my shop and pulled out my box of tubing then simply snipped a small piece of the appropriate size.

That was about 8 years ago, no problems since.

Elyas Tesfaye
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2013 04:46 PM      Profile for Elyas Tesfaye     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dearest Roy,

thanks a lot, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. So far, so good btw [Smile] !!!

Best,
ET

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2013 11:54 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roy is (of course) right on this. My focus knob has been poorly behaved even after previous attempts to improve it. Got the smallest silicone fuel line available at a local hobby store - like $1.29 for a foot - trimmed off a little, put it on the knob's shaft, and now the focus knob works like new.

There's one catch: the thickness of the tubing is just infintesimally too small. But silicone is pliable enough that I could bunch it up on the shaft, thereby increasing the thickness with no problems.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC