8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » B & H take up problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: B & H take up problem
Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 07:34 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bell & Howell 2585 with a take-up that slows down when running longer reels. The film on the take-up reel is saggy and sloppy, and can run over the side long before the reel should be full. Motor still maintains proper speed so it's not that. Maybe an arm or belt problem? (And is there a quick, easy, cheap and stupid "fix" for it?) [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 09:02 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Belt. Replace it.

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 16, 2013 09:12 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt in the arm itself?

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 16, 2013 10:19 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely the one inside the projector. Take the back off and very carefully. Run the projector to see the belt that is slipping. Replace it and you should be all set.

BE CAREFUL RUNNING IT WITH THE BACK OFF!!!!

PatD

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 17, 2013 02:27 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the motor sounds OK I suggest that the problem could be the cloth belt in the take-up arm assembly. It has a rough edge on one side which eventually loses it "roughness" due to use. As the spool's weight increases this causes sloppy take-up.

The belt could be OK. If an old warped is being run the take-up will have problems with the film causing what you describe.

--------------------
Maurice

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2013 05:51 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, you were right. I took out the old arm belt and replaced it with one salvaged from a machine that had a broken gear train but did have good take-up. Belt "A" was stretched out to the point where belt "B" fit inside it with room to spare. Tested it with a full 2300' reel of junk film and got a smooth, solid take-up.

Easiest "fix" I've ever done; undo two screws on the back of the reel arm and the cover of it falls off (plop!) Everything inside is open then, just slip off the old belt, slip on the new, and screw the cover back on. A five minute job even for a hopeless klutz like me.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 02:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't lose the spring which will also "plop out" !

--------------------
Maurice

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 07:38 AM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're definitely right again, but mine stayed in! I suppose it helped that I worked with the machine upright on the table rather than turning it over to rest on the "operator's side."

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 08:32 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, your old belt, which is tough woven, can still be saved. Wash
it in a soap solution, rinse, then dry off in a warm oven, not on,
but switched off, after the Sunday roast. Result, a new belt. I have
done this for many years, it's just a case of shrinking the fabric.
It also cures "wow" on the sound.

Jeff Missinne
Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2013 10:01 PM      Profile for Jeff Missinne   Email Jeff Missinne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's some unusual advice to say the least, but it can't hurt to try it, so why not?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 27, 2013 07:12 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
It's worked for me for many years Jeff, and these little belts are tough, they just get smooth and greasy. Cleaned up,they're
as good as new,and I've never had occasion to buy new.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2013 11:21 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings
Hows the rubber under that belt?
It gets a little thin and and worn out
That should be replaced too
Get much soot from it?
Some times it gets like a Elmo roller
RC

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC