8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Screen cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Screen cleaning
Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 09, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My old Mentor model 5 screen (now 40 years old) has suddenly started to show some marks in s line from the top. It's a linen screen and I wondered if anyone has cleaned a linen screen surface and if so, what did you use and with what results. I did talk to Andrew Harkness who were very sympathetic and, to a point, quite helpful, but they don't make or supply linen based products. Any ideas Guys. I'm loath to buy a new one (I've had a look at what's going and it's as bad as buying a t.v.) so I'm waiting to see what suggestions you have.

--------------------
Dave

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 09, 2016 06:22 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is a real tricky one Dave with your screen fabric being Linen.

Perhaps a little Stardrops (very mild detergent and totally non staining) and a good air drying session?
I really wouldn't know what to suggest for such a fabric, for sure?

I had the same problems a few years back now with my original high gain glass beaded screen.
Once they get even a mark on them, they are rendered useless as you simply cannot clean them with anything!

I hope someone here has experience of using a similar screen as your own and can give you some firm helpful and satisfactory advice for your problem.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 01:54 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with Mentor screens are they anything special? If not is it really worth the trouble trying to clean it. I've got 3 or 4 screens that I can't give away. You can pick them up at car boots and charity shops very cheaply. Pity you're not closer - I'd give you one.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 07:50 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, the majority of my shows over the past 50 years have been public ones and so I've always gone for the best. Mentor screens were well constructed and when you consider the number of time it's been in and out of cars and even carried on the underground it's proved it's value. You don't come across 8' tripod screens in really good condition very often and my regular audience of 40 (and growing every month) deserves the best. I might just have to contemplate a new screen but observation yesterday revealed that it's not as noticeable as I thought. The M.D. of Harkness Screens knew of the Mentor name and said 'you won't find any as well made today'. I shall be having a word with Father Christmas (the Mrs.) and who knows what might happen?

--------------------
Dave

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2016 02:40 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
In the words of Victor Meldrew - 'I don't believe it'.
As I said I have several screens which mostly lay idle and unused. I knew that I had a big one somewhere and upon checking I found that it is indeed a MENTOR 8 Footer!
I haven't used it for years and so I cannot say what condition it is in. I will have to erect it and find out whether it has deteriorated in any way, but it has always been stored well.
I have to say that I didn't know that it was linen based. I thought it was some sort of plastic.
I'm not trying to sell it to you but I thought you might be interested and I have to agree it is very well made, but no more than some other screens I have.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2016 04:12 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,
Let me know what condition your screen is in. I'm undecided what to do. I've looked online at new screens but I'd actually like to see one before making any decision. I'm a little reluctant to buy a new one, the only thought being that I might find one a bit lighter than the Mentor which is somewhat heavy to carry.

--------------------
Dave

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2016 04:34 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
I got it out today and it is in good condition with just a few spots of rust at the top that have transferred from the steel tubing where it has been stored over the years. I have just painted over these spots with a white gloss paint and it is as good as new. Perhaps this is an eay solution for you.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2016 05:38 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8 foot tripod screen:

https://www.projectorshop24.co.uk/en/projection-screens/mobile-screens/tripod-screen/celexon-screen-tripod-economy-244-x-183-cm.html

£215 with delivery. That doesn't seem too much for what is a large screen.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 08:47 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Terry. Very much appreciate your help, but thinking about it,I've decided to go up the new screen route. Firstly, it will give the audience the best possible viewing pleasure. Secondly, it weighs less than the Mentor so it will be easier to carry. The one I decided on is the very one you've mentioned Steven, but Cherrywood AV are selling it for £172 with free delivery! And while on the subject of buying things, I needed some Din plugs and cable to enable me to run a digital (shhhhh) show. I came across a firm called Flashback Sales. They supply cable and plugs etc. Rang them at 10a.m. yesterday and the plugs arrived already wired this morning at 10.15a.m. Nice people to talk to and great service with very good prices. Now you know where to go. Perhaps we should have a site for particular items like cheap lamps, projector repairs. Helpful suppliers are always worth supporting and knowing where to go saves time

--------------------
Dave

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2016 03:42 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Dave! One of the few things for Cine we can still get new is the screen so no excuses, really.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC