8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Looking to buy Elmo 16F - some advice needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking to buy Elmo 16F - some advice needed
Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 04:33 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'm an owner of a couple of Bell & Howell's, an 8mm 606H and 16mm 613H, in love with them both and I enjoy my silent films.
However I'm now wanting to get a 16mm sound projector as well. I own a few sound films so naturally would like to view them with sound.

I know there's many options for 16mm sound projectors but I have the opportunity to buy an Elmo 16F but I can't seem to find any information about it online and I was wondering if anybody here to give me some details and is this model even worth pursuing?

For example, is it manual feed or auto (I prefer manual)?

Does it only have one speed setting(24fps)?
Is it magnetic or optical for sound?

What's this particular model like with old, warped film?

And finally is it known to have any major issues, such as broken gears etc that i should look out for?

Is this model even worth pursuing?

So many questions I know and any advice or knowledge given will be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Can

|  IP: Logged

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2017 05:26 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fully serviced blue elf magnetic and optical sound runs well and projects fine I also have spares for these should you ever need any I have over 50 projectors of all makes in stock as well as over 4000 features and over 6000 shorts email me on dwgdodgems@hotmail.co.uk

Keith Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2017 05:34 AM      Profile for Keith Wilson   Email Keith Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
please send me your list of 4000 features you may have for sale or trade

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 04, 2017 05:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can
I have an Elmo 16F.
24fps, belt change for 18fps. Manual thread. Optical and magnetic playback. Still device. No internal speaker, speaker is in side-cover.
My only criticism is there is no provision for Bright/Dim setting for the lamp. My projector was going through its ELC lamps until I changed to using a long-life lamp.
Metal worm. so no worry like a Bell & Howell worm.
Very heavy!
Recommended.

--------------------
Maurice

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice for your reply.
Interesting to hear the gears are metal and not plastic.
Unfortunately I've missed the Elmo now:/
I also got a reply elwhere in regards to the 16F and was told to avoid it because parts for it are really scarce.
So back to square one for my search for a 16mm sound projector.

Thanks again

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 02:36 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that, however, the Elmo 16F was probably quite an old model, and as such, parts might certainly be a problem.

Bell & Howell 16mm projectors still have quite a few spares available and, other than the dreaded worm problem, are very reliable.

If you could find a cheap TQIII with a faulty worm it would worthwhile to have a new worm fitted. My engineer can do this and at the same time other points would be covered, such as a new oiling wick.

Once done, you would be able to enjoy many years with it.

--------------------
Maurice

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2017 04:31 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have plenty of projectors in stock elf elmo Kodak bell and howells

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC