8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » Episodes of top of the pops on 16mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Episodes of top of the pops on 16mm
Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondered if any episodes of the BBC show top of the pops have ever turned up on 16mm possibly telerecordings ?.Does anyone have any?.

|  IP: Logged

Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
You might want to post this question on www.cinematography.com.
There’re a lot of old-timers on there who know this kind of stuff, including even one of the original cameramen for Let It Be...!
I’ve heard that much of the appearances such as the Beatles from the 60’s were actually destroyed- the only stuff I’ve ever seen is videotape from the 70’s and later...
The German produced Beat Club - on the other hand- seemed to save everything, but I don’t know in what format.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your old enough to remember 'Ready, Steady, Go' in the 60s; the rights were purchased by musician Dave Clark, and he won't allow any of it to be released.

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 03:48 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Six Five Special' was televised a couple of years ago with Petula Clark and Lonnie Donegan. My guess is it's around on dvd, but who know's if it's on 16mm. It's worth watching for a young lad in his first t.v. appearance singing a terrible song with the most hilarious leg movements to go with it.

--------------------
Dave

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 05:35 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Used to watch '6.5 Special' every week, Don Lang, Pete Murray, and Josephine Douglas, and there was a film version. The Tony Hancock shows were live, as it all was then, telecined on 35mm. I wonder why they used that guage instead of 16mm? Who was the young lad, and what was the song, Dave?

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 07:57 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
If that's Dave Clark of the Dave Clark Five, I wouldn't describe him as musician. He was a drummer and 'vocalist ' and not a good one at that. But he was extremely successful in the sixties and the band purportedly rivalled the Beatles.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 09:29 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's him Terry; he's had lots of requests over the years to release footage from 'Ready, Stead, Go', but he refuses. Best drummer IMO was Gene Krupa. I described him as a musician, because there is music written for the drum, but whether he ever read any?

Peter Gilabert
Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 10:22 AM      Profile for Peter Gilabert   Email Peter Gilabert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least Ready Steady Go! Was on VHS - at some point; I used to rent them all of the time.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 11:00 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least at the BBC 35mm film recordings were made for domestic use and 16mm for export. In the early days videotape editing was by physically cutting the tape and editing 35mm film was cheaper (more than a few edits and an expensive tape could not be re-used) and quicker.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2018 02:11 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just found this on Wikipedia.

In the 1980s Dave Clark of the Dave Clark Five acquired the rights to the 1960s UK music show and bought the rights to the surviving recordings.

On 10 January 2018 BMG Rights Management announced that it had acquired the ancillary rights to Ready, Steady, Go

From another site:
Ready Steady Go was held as part of the Dave Clark Archive and Kaleidoscope tried many times to ascertain exactly what he held. Dave was a very private person and we had no joy. Earlier this year the Dave Clark Archive was sold to BMG and since then Kaleidoscope has worked with their team to find a purpose for the surviving RSG material.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC