8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm Forum   » 2580 worm gear (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 2580 worm gear
Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 06:10 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim. Paul said you have to take the chassis out to adjust the screw.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Repar
Junior

- posted September 20, 2019 08:32 AM      Profile for Paul Repar   Email Paul Repar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,Exactly how you have it in the photo,the little notch out above the hole in your photo on the shutter blade,there is likely a fire shroud covering easier access to that adjustment screw,if you remove that,you will have access using the bristol spline blade to make the adjustment,there is photos of this procedure on "how to" in some of the B&H service manuals,but yes you can do it with the chassis in or chassis out,its trial and error sometimes.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2019 08:20 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I took out the chassis to do the adjustments I lined up the claw on the downward stroke and adjusted the claw so it poked through the gate more but I cannot get it to sync up very well, on the upstroke seems to grab the film and push it up so I backed off the set screw now it doesn’t seem to grab the sprockets I tried adjusting the framer too but no luck.
 -

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Paul Repar
Junior

- posted September 23, 2019 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul Repar   Email Paul Repar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,I think you may have over compensated that adjustment too much,It will take a few tries to adjust the 3 claw,that adjustment needs to be turned slightly to get the claw just right to grab the perfs,so try to go back where you started and give it a slight turn.Its best to use the service manual to get the right height of the 3 claw in the channel of the gate.Invest in a multi feeler gauge to measure the clearance.After this use your countdown leader and check the frame alignment by turning your pulley wheel,if it pulls the perfs by tripping the loop restorer your timing is still off.It will take a few tries but you will get it.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2019 10:11 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul I noticed you measured something at .015 was that for the loop restorer? what am I measuring I do already have one of these as I use them to measure points in my distributor on my old car. also i have heard one can use a Bell & Howell tool part number S-552-1-N1 would this be necessary to have? thanks f or all your input and help so far.

--------------------
jim schrader

Paul Repar
Junior

- posted September 29, 2019 06:15 AM      Profile for Paul Repar   Email Paul Repar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,Measuring the loop restorer "L" bracket distance of .015 spacing between the bracket end and the loop restorer cam that is on the right side of the worm gear.The feeler gauge helps in the spacing which is critical,if spacing is not proper,the "L" bracket will clip the loop restorer cam causing you to lose the film loop,which means this needs to be adjusted,if you download a service manual this will be explained in depth.

Richard C Patchett
Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 09:41 AM      Profile for Richard C Patchett   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings Jim
If you do happen to replace the worm
Be sure that you also replace the
015533 Lower Sprocket Gear 1575/1580/2580
This gear usually cracks over time
You can tell if the film bunches up, just before the sound drum. with or without a new worm
save time and replace it
RC
Thanks Maurice for the referral

--------------------
RC’s Classic Collection
16 mm Parts & Service
Elmo, Eiki, Bell & Howell +
http://www.rcsclassic16mm.com/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2019 11:04 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard's comments remind me what my engineer said some time ago. I have two Bell & Howell Slot-Loaders, a 1680B and a 1680G.

He said that the internal mechanism differs between the auto-thread models and the slot-loaders. In the former, the worm drives direct to the two gears, each connecting to the two sprockets. Whereas in the slot-loader, the spacing is different, hence the need for an extra small gear. When changing a worm he always changes this small gear.

I assume that this is what Richard is referring to.

--------------------
Maurice

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2019 01:14 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I did order that as well and reinstalled the chassis and ran the unit that’s when I discovered the claw was not in time It ran real smooth other wise just gotta get the timing in place, thanks

[ September 29, 2019, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Jim Schrader ]

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC