8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 16mm equipment for sale/trade   » Eiki SSL2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eiki SSL2
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like there is going to be a big fight over this one! Only been listed for a day and it's up to £160 - still a week to go. It'll be interesting to see what it fetches?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131634433333?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 22, 2015 10:01 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the first time I've ever seen an ESL offered on UK eBay. As I've been looking for one, I'm certainly tempted to bid, although the seller hasn't mentioned the damage evident in the photos in the text. Note around the screw that goes through the lamphouse cover, and also the strange marks on the top of the back foot. But a few months ago I saw another ESL sold (not in the UK) which was in worse condition and even had a missing front cover, and I think that sold for over £200, which was remarkable considering the state it was in. I'd therefore guess that this one could easily go for £350+ despite the flaws.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 02:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was bought from U.K. eBay in 2007.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 03:53 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Adian I noticed the rear foot but not the screw you mentioned. There are some 'bruises ' to the casing as well by the look of it, but still a nice looking machine.

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 04:04 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the interest in this i assume is because there are few about. for the gadget minded it must appeal.but surely the normal rotary switch is far more trouble free than the electronic functions.and far less to go wrong i would think.the seller of this is no expert it being her father in laws. the points Adrian made re its condition should indicate if its been well looked after. a gamble i would think. and at a high price to by the looks of things.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 11:04 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Paul. I might have been tempted at a reasonable price, but this is not going to be. As you say it will be a gamble too.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 02:54 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - I'm sure you're right that the seller is no expert, and he will probably be surprised by the price he gets for it! However, I have to disagree with your point regarding the rotary switch - at least in relation to my own experience. Although these switches can work OK, I've owned at least three Eikis where they have not worked perfectly, causing me to think that they can be something of a weak link in projectors where not all the relevant parts are in exactly the right position. I've often found a sense of them 'catching' on something and not smoothly operating as they should. On one Eiki I had, a microswitch the switch made contact with failed and although I eventually managed to change it, reaching it was a challenge. In contrast, I find my Eiki ENT a joy to use, because the touch switches have been completely reliable and the lack of the rotary switch means that the associated mechanical aspects can't go wrong! It can even handle going directly from forward to reverse, without you having to stop it in-between. But I'd be particularly intrigued to see how the ESL, being a slot load, copes with the upper loop formation as not everything happens at exactly the same time when you touch the relevant switch.
PS now up to £232!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2015 04:45 PM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Adrian. i have no experience of the electronic system on the Elf/Eiki projectors as i have never had one with this feature.but from what you say and your own experience of owning one, it does sound very good. i do though feel you have been unlucky in the past re the rotary switch. i have had umpteen Elf/Eiki projectors over the years and never ever had a problem with the rotary switch on any of them. let us hope that whoever purchases this particular one is pleased with it for the outlay they will make.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 23, 2015 08:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul - Although I like Eiki's, especially the 'last generation', I get the impression that even when new, whether you got a 'good' one or a 'problem' one was more dependent on luck - or perhaps the skill of the assembly people in the factory - than with certain other brands. The amount of problems I've had certainly suggests that I've been unlucky. At one point I had two SSLs, kept one that subsequently gave me problems (because it was like new) and sold one that gave the buyer years of trouble-free use, despite frequent use for public shows, etc!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Barker
Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2015 08:24 AM      Profile for Paul Barker   Email Paul Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Adrian i have actually had problems with bell&howell in the past which has really put me off them.i have had 2. a TQ1 and a much later 2592. both proved a pain in the backside to me.so i stay with ELF/EIKI machines.i just like them. years ago at a film fair i purchased an old blu/green ELF. i paid just £10 for it.i took it to pieces cam tank and all. then put it all back together .the quietest one i ever had was a Elf ST model with switches (not rotary) it was manual thread.( my favourite).an old model but it ran like a dream. i have never really liked the auto thread on any 16mm projector except for the slot load models. like everyone its personal experiences that make you go for a certain make/type of projector.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 24, 2015 03:56 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That certainly reinforces how variable and subjective our experiences are. Although I've never owned a B&H, I've certainly met the occasional owner who is convinced that they are fundamentally superior to Eikis, so it's interesting to see an alternative view.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2015 02:21 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am one of those that prefer the TQ3's and if it hadn't been for the bad design of the worm gear they would have gone down in history as one of the all time classics.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 01, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ESL-2 went for £411.05, which must have pleasantly surprised the seller! I put in a pretty substantial bid but didn't win, so I won't be able to report further.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 06:51 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the slot loader sL1 in almost brand new condition mines the one with the trouble free rotary switch ,much better than the electronic one its on ebay or email for details. at lot cheaper than the one that sold and a better condition machine

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2015 08:04 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that went for a good price , but Eiki are great projectors! I own 2 - both Slot loaders and very reliable [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2015 12:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an ESL-0 listed on Ebay.com (USA) as a Buy It Now which comes to less than £300 including shipping and import duty to the UK - item number: 261886863224

I can't recall if these have internal selectable multi-voltage but an external mains transformer shouldn't cost too much.

Kevin

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 02, 2015 06:43 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin - I first saw that USA projector offered several weeks ago and considering that the condition looks good and the price is very reasonable for an ESL, it may seem strange that it hasn't been snapped up. However, I think the 'problem' is that people are hesitant about it being described (on lower left of projector) as an "automatic repeater", so it's hard to say if this has any impact in relation to normal projection. The projector otherwise appears normal except you can see an extra protuding part near the top right.

The back panel indicates 120 volts. It's rare for Eiki's to be dual voltage although I struck lucky in terms of getting an ENT from the USA that is - the best projector I've ever owned. I also suspect that if someone from the UK bought the ESL, the seller would soon want to revise the shipping, which seems far too low at only $41.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2015 08:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Adrian

Thank you for the extra details - I think the repeater function is actuated by using a blank film or magnetic 'slug' picked up by the sensor in the feed in chute that will send the projector into rewind at the end of the film then replay again once rewound - using the rewind through the gate facility. This shouldn't affect normal projection.

Also if you change your postage location to USA the postage cost becomes free indicating the seller is simply charging a reasonable top up charge to cover higher overseas post costs.

The 120v operation can be resolved with a basic 240v to 120v external transformer and (guessing here) moving the belt to the other cam pulley to allow for 50hz ac operation?

These questions could only be fully answered by the seller - it's not a projector I want so is up to prospective buyers to message the seller themselves - they have 100% feedback and promise a full refund with return postage paid so not too risky.

Kevin

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC