8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Da Vinci Code (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Da Vinci Code
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 10:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the wonderful
support regarding my post
to the topic: Da Vinci Code.

Doug / Alan: very well stated.
I have not been to lower
Manhattan since June '98.

In the past, I have taken many
class field trips, family and
out of state friends to visit
the observation deck.

If I took one look at that
gaping hole in the ground
as to where everything once
stood, I just might have
a break down.

Steve / Jan: the hype of the media,
and 'polarization' of citizens is
voiced extremely well in your
posts.

Kind regards,
Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 03, 2006 09:38 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan,

A 400' digest of "The Da Vinci Code"? That would be quite an edit job. Since the fim is released by Columbia, they'd probably have that hated Columbia narrator working overtime!

Doug

Good challenge, though.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 03, 2006 12:55 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now what about the remake of The Omen? C'mon now [Roll Eyes]

(This running gag is starting to wear out) [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2006 08:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebert & Roper, film journalists
and critics reviewed the new
'Omen' on this evening's broadcast,
and they both praised it.

Mia Farrow as the sinister Nanny,
and Julia Stiles as Damian's Mother.

They even showed the scene that
leads to the build up of the mother
clinging onto the edge of the banister
before the fall.

Frankly, I just don't get it [Confused]

Besides, how do you replace Lee Remick
and Gregory Peck?

Check out this early review:

Omen 2006 review

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 03, 2006 08:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's what I thought. File it under "waste of 35mm film" and move on. Sigh [Razz]

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 04, 2006 03:07 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I said in my previous post, the film is an almost exact copy (scenes, shots, cuts, dialogues) of the 1976 original. The scriptwriter is the same so he didn't have much to do.
Liev Shreiber had to finish paying for his own directorial effort (the charming 'Everything is Illuminated'), this is why he agreed to play the part of Robert Thorne.

Doing a cut-down of that would be dead easy, just follow the original Ken and Piccolo versions! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 03:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks mike,but are the music cues the same?.andy.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 03:36 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks mike,but are the music cues the same?.andy.this is for the omen(2006).

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The shot and set-up was identical,
but I did not notice the chorus or
music cues in that one scene
during the film clip.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2006 04:21 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The remake of 'The Omen' was discussed on the Radio 4 'Today' programme this morning as the release date of 6/6/6 is upon us. When this item started I suggested that they should have just re-released the original movie. At the end the film critic on the programme stated exactly the same thing.

I suspect this film was remade because 6/6/2006 was approaching rather than for any artistic reason. After all, how can you remake a film that in its original incarnation had Gregory Peck, Lee Remick, Billie Whitelaw and Patrick Troughton in the lead roles? I have no intention of seeing the new film and suggest it will be as successful as the other recent horror remakes of 'The Fog' and 'The Amityville Horror'

And add me to the list of those who think 'The Da Vinci Code' is poor. I thought Tom Hanks performance was bad but it may not have been his fault. Sorry if this upsets anyone - I enjoyed it, it's just a bad film. Wouldn't be difficult to edit down to a 400ft reel... just put the end credits on it, that would fill the spool!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 06, 2006 08:34 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This 666 nonsense is getting to me anyhow... I'd love to clobber people over the head and tell them it's 6/6/2006, not 6/6/6 which is just an overly loose interpretation of today's date [Roll Eyes]
As for the Omen remake, nope, not gonna go see it either... I saw the original and quite liked it... one interesting tidbit I learned, though: they casted Mia Farrow as Damien's overprotective nanny in the remake. Ironic when you consider her starring role in Rosemarie's Baby in which she gives birth to the devil - spooky!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 06, 2006 08:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah!

That doesn't play very well in our house at all! June 6th is our anniversary!

We prefer to not associate June 6th with "666", but rather with something more appropriate to a wedding anniversary: D-Day!

Bonus: We were engaged on December 7th, as in "Pearl Harbor"!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Anniversary Steve! [Smile]

Many more healthy and happy
years to you and and your wife
and family, even if they still think
that the film is video tape. [Big Grin]

Great we can laugh about
this, because we are all in
it together.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 07, 2006 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Michael!

Fortunately the only one we have to explain that it's not video (and I mean repeatedly) is my Mother-in-Law, but she's a few reels short of a feature! (...If you know what I mean!)

I have good family involvement. On her own my wife designated Friday night as "Movie Night", and my 4 year old has dubbed himself "Light Man" (He's a wizard with that dimmer!)

Oh, yeah! Da Vinci code! #4 per the IMDB and getting ready to be run over by "Cars" this weekend. ( Seeya, bye!!)

That's one of the joys of controversy in our times: people generally have the attention span of a hummingbird, so if it's a big stink today, give it a week!

[ June 08, 2006, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC