8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Value of New 35mm Prints.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Value of New 35mm Prints.
Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2006 02:33 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was talking to a fellow cameraman friend of mine yesterday who tells me that his son has a new job as the projectionist at a local multiplex.

He told me that a print of the new Bond movie had recently been destroyed by a burst water pipe (I suppose plumbers don't really worry about putting pipes above film platters [Roll Eyes] ) and that a replacement print had cost in the region of £70,000!!!

Can this be true? I wonder if his son had been including the cost of repairing equipment, etc.

Surely a new print can't cost THAT much?

|  IP: Logged

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 07:40 AM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahhh...35mm prints run to a couple of grand. They are churned out on high speed
printers at the labs (about a reel a minute).

Stuart

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 08:48 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the reconstructed version of "Lawrence of Arabia" was released a few years back I heard that the Odeon Marble Arch needed a replacement print and that it cost somewhere in the region of £19,000. And it still had wet gate printing marks.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, not so much for 35mm prints ....

German labs offering prints of a small edition from about 2000,- EUR each print. Warner, UIP, Fox ...etc. let printing in UK (Rank, Technicolor) or Italy (Technicolor)for different european countries. ... they make thousands of prints from the same negativ and they change often only the optical soundtrack negative for different dubbed versions. So the printing costs are much less.

The printing time is not one reel per minute.

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2006 01:55 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Andreas,the cost of a new copy in spanish labororatory is 400-500 €, i work as a film restorer in a spanish film library and that the price the labs charge to me when i restored the negatives and need a work copy.
Kindest regards and long life to super 8!!!

Jose

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC