8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Rare Rare Rare (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Rare Rare Rare
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 02:37 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone looking at e bay ever noticed how many items of super 8 and cine gear is classed as Rare?
[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 02:40 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It always amuses me that the 1st 400ft cut down of Star Wars that was arguably the best selling cut down ever, is always to be found on Ebay - often two or three listed at any one time and invariably described as rare! [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 26, 2007 03:39 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rare is definately an over used adjective on ebay. Which raises the question,'What cine items are really rare?
Here's a few that come to mind:

Kodak M100 S8 sound projector (the original model with the 2000ft spool capacity)

Agfa MOVEX 8MM cine camera (looks like a 35mm camera)

Dekko 9.5mm projector

Pathe Monaco duplex projector (4.75mm horizontal Vistavision)

Feature film 'The Magic Box'( 1951 Festival of Britain film about the invention of the cinema, starring Robert Donat)

Any more?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael Scalise
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Michael Scalise   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Scalise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and if is indeed a true rare item...KEEP IT!!! [Big Grin]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 27, 2007 01:01 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GS1200 Pcom, Fumeo Xenon Super 8 Stereo/Playback/Record machine,
Hard Days Night Super 8, Freaks Super 8, Enter the Dragon Scope Feature,
there are many truly rare titles...but none on Ebay! Well...rarely!!!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 27, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's truly rare on eBay? Films without color fade and scratches.

Except from those sellers who are Forum members, of course.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 02:14 AM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alan,
'Enter The Dragon' scope feature; is this the full feature?
Who released it? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Thanx,
Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 02:23 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind" must be the rarest feature of all, Derek said he did only 12.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 29, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thats right Barry, and i'm still waiting for it to slip into ebay without any of you chaps noticing so i can win a bid for a tenner [Big Grin]
Well, you never know do you. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 29, 2007 06:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Funny Micheal, but true...

At least half of the time the films I buy on the internet are faded. It appears one person idea of "little fading" can mean that there's the slightest shred of colour left.

And then there are others that are so wonderfully technical, that a slight fade is absolutely unobservable to 99 percent of people, but they still sell it for less and you get a great buy.

The best way, of course, is to buy from trusted friends or professional dealers.

Yet,

Even with dealers you can be treading in bad waters. Some dealers only rate the condition of the print and not the colour,
(which is always convenient), so it could be rated "A" and the actual colour is closer to a B-!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 31, 2007 02:12 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Enter the Dragon Scope Feature and Way of the Dragon Scope feature were bootlegs I hear! That is what Andreas told me once. I believe they had German sound. I was offered both prints and also Game of Death 4 parter. I thought the Game of Death was more rare. I was wrong as the Game of Death was a UFA print. And then the scope features were gone. I have Never seen another one offered up for sale and this was 4 years ago.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted May 29, 2007 12:44 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a topic rarely discused. I think it should be addressed more frequently, so that it's rarity will not be so profound. Then rare will become common place and not so hard to find, but then that is rare also or is it? If rarity were rare and not run-of-the-mill, would it not be run down rapidly to a point of lesser response from those who seek it's illusivness by reason of what it is? [Confused]

When you say, "I would like my steak rare please", does that imply less often? Maybe one would prefer one's steak rare frequently or less frequently and if so why? [Eek!]

[ May 29, 2007, 02:55 AM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2007 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides that Dan, is incredibly hard to get a steak house to even cook your damned steak bloody rare anymore, not without a waiver of liability, ect.

Many an optical sound super 8 title are quite rare, (as in "Ruckus" that i bought from you Dan,)

and of course, the infamous "Close Encounters" feature in scope, which, alas, I'll probably never have, (always a bridesmaid and never a bride, boo hoo, de boo hoo!)

--------------------

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2007 11:26 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends where the items are offered.

Think that one of german Godzilla releases from marketing or UFA, or "Young Frankenstein" from piccolo are really rare on US/UK-eBay.

"Silver Streak", "People that time forgot", "At the Earths Core", "Incredible Melting Man" for example are rare prints in Germany, cause these titles were never released here on super8.

[Big Grin] Looking for "Silver Streak", "People that time forgot", "At the Earths Core".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2007 12:25 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the ultra rare full length italian print of SOLDIER BLUE?
I have only ever seen it for sale once on Derann's used list.
And I didn't buy it!!!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 29, 2007 03:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen this word used to describe films and projectors far to often, [Roll Eyes] as a means to inflate the price of an item thats nothing more than junk, what's rare about a faded print of eg Star Wars, certainly there might be the odd film or projector that could be called rare, but to find that in itself is rare. [Wink]

Graham [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 29, 2007 06:20 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Young Frankenstein released as a feature?

Also rare, "Warlords of Atlantis" (One of those wonderful Doug McClure American International films from the late 70's) 1978, which i believe was released as a 4X400ft slightly edited feature.

--------------------

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

"young frankenstein" was released here only as a one parter in 1978. Includes the complete funny scene with the blind man (Gene Hackman).

"Warlords of Atlantis" was from UFA and therefor a 3x400 release.
Was also available in France from Film Office as a shorter 4x200 edition.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 30, 2007 10:28 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I would say rare means:

Occurring very infrequently

In other woids, dont come up very often.

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2007 11:56 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently won "Warlords of Atlantis" on ebay. It was released by Iver Film Services on 4 x 400ft reels in their excellent clamshell packaging. Nice print too.

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2007 02:11 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds interesting. Didnīt know the Iver Release.
Never seen in a Derann used list.
Are there any complete listings of GB-releases in the internet
to find out what different 8mm versions exists?

For example: http://www.super8online.de/suchen.php

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2007 03:38 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another rare Scope print is "Superman The Movie", I've had an odd reel of this and the quality was very good, I had a word with Ian of Perry's at the time and he thought it originated from the U.S., so there's another Scope title to look out for, and it was F/L too!

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2007 05:29 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The SUPERMAN THE MOVIE features were actually printed for either Oilrig or Airline use as I remember seeing a pile of them when I collected a print from Warners in the late 70's I remember I thought it was unusual as the large 8mm cores in plain white boxes were all marked SCOPE.
I bet they are as rare as hens teeth now!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 31, 2007 11:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see a scope airline feature! The sharpness of at least 90% of the airline features was as good as super 8 could look, (Derann included), and a SCOPE print must have been a heavenly sight.

Hmmm, I wonder if us collectors ought to search out oil rigs at least 30 years old or so, in order to find long dormant prints just sitting around, Hmmm?

Hey, it's a thought!

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2007 12:49 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I've had a few parts in the past of "The battle of Britain" in Scope and optical sound, quite nice prints too. The "Superman" print I was refering to was a mag track print and not optical, if these were made for oilrigs then they used normal projectors and not the cassette type used in Airplanes.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC