8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Last films released on 70mm (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Last films released on 70mm
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 24, 2008 04:21 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone happens to know what was, or were, the last 'new' films that were released on 70mm? (I'm not referring to films necessarily shot on 70mm or reissues of old films). I suppose digital could be the last nail in the 70mm coffin, but 70mm use for prestige screenings at selected cinemas seemed to have died off before digital made an impact.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2008 06:18 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there were one or two 70mm prints of TITANIC struck for Los Angeles and New York engagements but can't think of anything past that.

One of the reasons 70mm lasted as long as it did was it offered the ability to offer premium 5-channel sound. When DTS came along and could link up to any standard 35mm print with the proper code, the studios no longer wanted to spend the money to produce 70mm prints which were significantly more expensive to produce and required long runs to pay back their costs. 5-channel sound was suddenly available at a reasonable cost to hundreds of cinemas who were only offering Dolby stereo previously.

I do know that inquiries were made as recently as 2 years ago to see if there were enough 70mm installations still in use to justify making 70mm prints of Terrence Malick's THE NEW WORLD, but nothing came of it.

Imax has recently been running demos of a digital Imax system to the trade to try and deal with the astronomical cost of their film prints.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 03:24 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last film I saw in 70mm was Titanic. It didn't make the film any better though. That was at the Odeon Leicester Square with sound from a DTS CD-ROM.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saw Titanic (1997) last year at the Pictureville, Bradford in 70mm. was a good print.
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/bff/2007/film_detail.asp?filmid=56

A new copy in Todd-AO 70mm Those Magnficent Men in thier Flying Machines also been screened.

See
http://www.in70mm.com/widescreen_weekend/2008/index.htm

This will help with past 70mm and FUTURE!
http://www.in70mm.com/index.htm

--------------------
Regards,
David

Rob Koeling
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 04:43 AM      Profile for Rob Koeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to http://www.in70mm.com/ (a website dedicated to 70mm) there were 'about a dozen' 70mm prints of Titanic (paid for by director Cameron) and it is supposed to be the last film that got a proper release in 70mm. Shows weren't limited to a few venues in the US. At least 1 print toured in Europe as well (I saw the film in 70mm in Holland).

According to the same website, 70mm prints were struck for special (one-of) screenings for some later films: 'Tomorrow Never Dies', 'Armageddon', 'Godzilla', 'Mulan', 'Dinosaur' and 'Pearl Harbor'

- Rob

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 06:12 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!

I did'nt even know that 70mm prints weren't being struck anymore.

That's ashame. There is only one theater here in Washington D.C. that I recall boasting "70MM" on their newspaper ads. That was the Uptown Theater (near the National Zoo).

The theater is still in business today and often hosts celebrities for special high-profile releases. Its the last single-screen cinema in this area, but I thought it was still showing 70mm prints [Roll Eyes] .

Nick.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 07:10 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another nail in the coffin for 70mm prints was that they used magnetic stripe sound tracks.
It is now considered eco unfriendly, and expensive, to produce mag tracks as large as those needed on 70mm.
I believe that any new 70mm releases use the DTS system.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 07:13 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gQVpOFAf-s

--------------------
Regards,
David

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 07:55 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody going to Bradford in March to see 70mm festival?
Looks a good week for film in all the large formats.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 09:27 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we are on the subject, Ron Howard's "Far and Away" was the last studio release I recall actually being shot on 70mm (Super Panavision, I believe.)

James, the Uptown, to my knowledge, hasn't run a 70mm print in years, a real pity as they still have both the Century machines to do so and that big Cinerama screen. I did broadcast coverage for the gala-premiere of "Black Hawk Down" there, and even then, the producer went with 35mm.

I still recall how the Uptown used to have summer screenings of 4-6 classics in a row in 70mm, as a break from the regular schedule, but that, too, is long gone.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 10:25 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Pictureville is only allowed to show certain 70mm prints on the deep curved Cinerama screen, such as the single lens Cinerama films and Super Panavision and D150.
Others go onto the roll down screen in front.
Would seem that Cinerama company must still have some control.

--------------------
Regards,
David

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 10:09 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Titanic in 70mm still crops up here at the Astor in Melbourne a few times a year.

Robert, 70mm was genuine 6 channel sound: L, IL, C, IR, R and mono Surround. Later sound formats including Dolby 70 and others that included a sub channel and split surrounds and removing the IL and IR.

Do a search on the this forums big brother at film-tech for all the information you'll ever need on 70mm.

David

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 02:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kenneth Branagh shot a film in 70mm in the 90's. I believe it was another version of Hamlet or some such other Shakespeare play.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted January 26, 2008 04:46 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
According to the same website, 70mm prints were struck for special (one-of) screenings for some later films: 'Tomorrow Never Dies', 'Armageddon', 'Godzilla', 'Mulan', 'Dinosaur' and 'Pearl Harbor'

Those also had no sound on them or dts timecode. They were picture only, and the sound was derived from a 35mm print interlocked with the 70mm print, of which the Dolby Digital soundtrack was used.

And there were 14 70mm prints of Titanic. Only 3 in the US survived the run, mine being the best remaining print in the US (quoted as "flawless" by the late John Pytlak of Kodak when he came by and saw it about a week or two before we lost it).

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted January 26, 2008 07:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies - fascinating reading.

I can't help being horrified by the thought of digital Imax (is nothing sacred!), although I'll be interested to hear how it compares to film.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 08:24 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the demonstration I had at Pictureville of digital onto the deep curved Cinerama screen blew my socks off!
So again I'm prepared for a good surprise.
On the present Imax I find it hard to watch the height of the picture gets me. I'm looking up and down all the time, it too much height. I can't just sit there and relax like I do with the widescreen formats.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 07:49 PM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Clancy,

you are right. The last feature film to be shot on 65mm negative and released on 70mm was Kenneth Branagh's "Hamlet" (1996). 65/70mm was also an option for Terrence Malick's "The New World" (2005) and Bryan Singer's "Superman Returns" (2006), but in the first case finally only small segments and in the second case only tests were shot in 65mm. In 2006, a 6-minute demonstration film called "As Good as It Gets", that should remind producers and directors of the excellence of 70mm, was co-produced by Kodak, Arri and Foto-Kem. As magnetic stripe for 70mm films is not available any more, the sound for this film comes from a CD.
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2007/as_good/index.htm
At the moment, Ron Fricke is shooting "Samsara" in 65mm - a sequel to his documentary "Baraka" from 1992.

Now, some guys are intending to re-establish 70mm by shooting 48fps. They call this "Super Dimension 70". Their special business idea is that the cinema owner does not have to buy the new projector: The SDS-70-projector remains property of Super Vista Corporation who will also be responsible for servicing the projection equipment. This shall be financed by charging $ 3,00 more for the cinema tickets: http://www.superdimension70.com/

I don't think their idea will be really successful, but I like their efforts.

[ January 27, 2008, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: Eberhard Nuffer ]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite films I ever saw was filmed in 70mm.

Baraka - a film by Ron Fricke. If only this was on super 8 scope/stereo - I'd be in heaven.

Google it for more. (Baraka movie)

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2008 09:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought there was a Russian art film shot in 70mm within the last 5 years, but not even IMDB seems to help me on this one. Otherwise Hamlet wins.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 27, 2008 11:40 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eberhard
Thanks for that it made very interesting reading,

To quote from there web site.

The impending arrival of High Definition HDTV in homes will necessitate major advancements to the movie going experience because of competition for the audience HDTV will create. Super Dimension-70 movies are the answer.

There comments are spot on, and I hope what they are proposing really takes of, imagine 70mm film at 48fps on a large screen sounds great to me.

Graham. [Smile]

James E. Stubbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2008 03:26 AM      Profile for James E. Stubbs   Email James E. Stubbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last 70mm film I saw was Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade. Saw it in 35mm first. No compareson. Portland, OR is a big cinema town. Lot's of old theatres. I think a 70mm revival would go over great here. Problem is the only cine that I know of that had a big freaking screen and 70mm projectors is many years closed and is now a chruch. The Eastgate. It's the largest cinema and screen in Oregon. It was a victim of it's neighboorhood as much as the times. If it were in my hood, (Hawthorne distrct) or any other "hip" area it would still be alive as the McMinemann brothers would have turned it into a pub much like the Bagdad (blocks from my house). I saw the Eastgate projectors for sale online not long ago. I'm sure other cine's had 70mm but I don't know which would have had the screens. There's a new IMAX in Bridgeport Village which is quite impressive. My favorite cineplex not far from the Eastgate has some big screens and has the most fantastic stadium seating: the back of the chair in front of you is at your knees giving you completely unobstructed view of the screen a-la IMAX. It's a bit older complex, so perhaps they have/had some 70mm. Next time I'm there I'll have to ask.

If anyone knows the history of 70mm in Portland I'd like to hear it.
Cheers,

--------------------
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 26, 2008 04:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey James!!

I went to school over there and never even knew if anybody was collecting Super 8 over there. Bad on me! Next time I end up over, with your permission, I'll look you up!

Are there any shops over there selling any old Super 8mm?

Just curious.

Yeah, I remember a lot of old movie theaters over there too. I think when I was there, there was one closing down and they were showing as they're last feature, "Raiders of the Lost Fart er .. Ark" was I right on that? (note, that was 2003, I believe)

Cool town.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have recently heard that Ron Fricke, the director of Baraka as I previously mentioned, is NOW SHOOTING his sequel to that movie in 70MM. It's called "Samsuara" and I will bring you more information as I receive it. Yes, this will be another non-verbal art film.

I can't wait!

Chip G

Eberhard Nuffer
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 11:48 AM      Profile for Eberhard Nuffer   Email Eberhard Nuffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" (starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix) was shot on 65mm negative stock. To retain the maximum resolution, the negative was cut the old-fashioned way instead of relying on a digital intermediate, which is normally used for 35mm productions these days.
There is a very limited release of "The Master" on 70mm: I think they had only one 70mm print made which is now travelling round the globe. In Germany it will be shown during the 8th Todd-AO Festival of the Schauburg cinema in Karlsruhe on October 7th. A list of the 70mm screenings of "The Master" can be found here. For the schedule of the Todd-AO Festival in Karlsruhe follow this link: 8th Todd-AO Festival

Bruno Heughebaert
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2012 03:52 PM      Profile for Bruno Heughebaert   Email Bruno Heughebaert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the direct link to the festival page with some pictures of the 70mm prints who arrived this week including "the master". On saturday 8pm a new 70mm prints (2010) of west side story will be screened.
http://www.in70mm.com/news/2012/billboard/index.htm

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC