8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The African Queen at work

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The African Queen at work
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 05, 2008 09:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be an age thing but reminiscing seems to be running through my brain at the moment anyway years ago [Roll Eyes] when I worked on aircraft we had what we called in the hanger "The African Queen." When an aircraft had been de-fueled and before any inspection work could be carried out on the inside of the wing tanks they first had to be vented, this required a high volume of air "big blowers" but before this could be done, sucking out the residue fuel had to be carried out with a long flexable hose attached to "The African Queen" it was a electric motor driving a large vacuum pump hence the...Chug...Chug...Chug.. the residue fuel being fed into a large drum. The funny thing I remember most was the look from a new apprentice when I asked him to get "The African Queen" [Confused] it took a bit of explaining but as he had not even heard of the movie that was a waist of time, well for 10 years "The African Queen" chugged around that hanger until the day they closed the base down, it really did sound just like what you here in the movie I wonder what happend to it Chug... Chug.....Chug.... [Smile]

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2008 07:04 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For years at the Coburg drive-in theatre (I could see the screen from my bedroom window!) the assistant used to call out the change over cues to the projectionist by saying "push the button Max".

That is a line from The Great Race, this drive-in had exclusive rights to this Warners roadshow so it kept coming back and back again in the mid - late 1960's. The projection staff knew every line.

David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 06, 2008 07:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice story David [Smile]
Here is a still from the real "African Queen"
 -
Just checked the "Index of Reviews" nothing on "The African Queen" had the Super8 feature years ago and sold it "big mistake" was an excellent print although the sound could have been a bit better has anyone got a print?

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC