8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Interest In Film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Interest In Film
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 23, 2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although this has been covered before I never really tried to analyse it in detail, yesterday had me thinking about it again as I showed a family around the projection room at work, later the grandparents returned that evening to watch "3:10 To Yuma" and told me how they enjoyed the afternoon look around and that their grandkids were still talking about after they left leaving with the traditional strip of 35mm film. In the 8 years I have been doing this it never fails to amaze me at the reaction from people looking at something thats been around for over 100 years, you would think in the day of video projection there would be little interest in film so why the interest? is it watching old film projectors working? time again I am told we thought it was on video these days, and when shown that its not the fascination of it all takes over, what do you think?

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Cragg
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2008 06:27 PM      Profile for Dave Cragg   Email Dave Cragg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find this reaction myself when I have friends around for their first film show.
I feel the difference is that with a film show, it becomes an 'event'.

Dave

--------------------
Wide eyed novice.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2008 07:18 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been much interest shown in the GS when showing films to various local organisations.
The older folk tend to say "you don't see many of those things these days" and youngsters are fascinated by a projector. One young lad asked me how did the picture get from the GS to the screen.
After I explained it to him, he replied "cool" and was very impressed. He even asked if he could rewind the film for me.

After one particular show, a retired teacher told me about how films used to be fairly regularly shown in his school, adding you can't beat a good 16mm print.
I said "look again". He was amazed to see it was 8mm, he was convinced he had been watching 16mm.
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 23, 2008 07:31 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most people ask me how I got started, where do I find all these wonderful films and where have I been hiding all this time - Others, especially youngsters want to know how the image is printed to cellulose. A few commented on the fascinating picture that was as clear if not better than most DVD or tape, then we discussed cost through the years and many converted to wanting more films - Cheers, Shorty

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 24, 2008 05:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of around 30 years ago, or so, when I used to give film shows to childrens' parties using a Bell & Howell DCR.

At one show I was rewinding the film on the projector and all the children were now dispersing in search of food. I felt a tug on my trouser leg, I looked down, and there was a little boy, probably only three or four years-old.

"Please mister, how do you get them from the telly?" Remember, this was before the intoduction of VCRs.

I still give shows, but have never been asked a similar question since!

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC