8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My 3D Video Camera

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My 3D Video Camera
Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2008 10:30 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug Meltzer has asked me to describe the camera set
up I used to shoot this 3D clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM-myb2Cteo so here goes:

It's basically two Sony DCR-HC51E Mini DV camcorders mounted side by side (65mm separation), synchronized by a LANC controller. I got it from the ColorCode website here: http://www.colorcode3d.dk/group.asp?group=93&sub=93 They also sell the LANC controller separately.

Prior to this I was using the Nu-View adapter that some of you may be familiar with. The huge advantage with the two camera solution is that you end up with a left and right image, each in full resolution, rather than an interlaced file with only half the horizontal information from each side. Also, because you are able to look into the viewfinder of each camcorder with both eyes, you can see what you are filming in 3D as you are filming it. The other option is to flip open the screen on the left camcorder, which is how I was able to film whilst cycling!

There is a drawback however, in that while recording is synchronized, playback is not. To combine the two tapes I transferred each to the computer, trimmed them with Virtual Dub and converted to anaglyph with Stereo Movie Maker (both excellent free programs). I adjusted the parallax for each scene as unlike the Nu-View, there is no way to do that while you are shooting.

Best wishes,

Tiv

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 19, 2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, kudos, this is absolutely fantastic!
3D rules!

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 02:35 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That explains why the 3D effect is so impressive. Can't wait to see how the BFCC turns out... more 'outstanding' than ever no doubt [Big Grin] .

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Excellent clip, well done.

I've been experimenting with 3-D field sequential projection via my Infocus single ship DLP projector with LCD shutter glasses and found a unit that does the job brilliantly.

I've been bidding on Japan auction sites for VHD discs of 3-D features released in the mid 80's and am just about to complete my collection with a purchase of HOUSE OF WAX which I've been searching for the past couple of years now. I've even managed to purchase a brand new VHD player and hope to eventually transfer the collection onto DVD for my own use, I wasn't impressed by the shoddy DVD's available on Ebay.

Have you attempted non-anaglyphic projection of your material?

Rick

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ricky,

Indeed I have. I have a large collection of field sequential dvds which I can project with my Optoma DLP projector. I also have the Sensio 3D processor. The Sensio format is vertically squeezed side by side and I find that the loss of vertical resolution is not so noticeable as the loass of horizontal resolution you get with field sequential.

I also have the Infocus DepthQ 3D projector, which I had to give up on for movies, due to the limitations of my PC and a 1950s Viewmaster Stereomatic 500 slide projector (polarised) which produces truly stunning images from reels shot with my Viewmaster cameras. Oh and not forgetting my trusty Nimslo lenticular camera and the Stereo Realist, that's it for me and 3D

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC