8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Using Anamorphic lens with DVD projection.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using Anamorphic lens with DVD projection.
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 26, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested in hearing how other forum members with video projectors handle the projection of CinemaScope (2.35:1) DVD's. There are two ways to handle this. One is to simply zoom the image out to the full width of the scope screen. The other is to do an electronic vertical stretch of the letterboxed 16:9 DVD image and then slide in a 1.3X anamorphic lens. If you go to the AV forums, you will find a lot of people expounding the superiority of the A-lens method. But is that just a lot of hype?
After all the DVD source image is letterboxed, NOT anamorphically squeezed like our scope film prints. So how can vertically stretching it and then expanding it out be any better than just optically zooming it. You cannot generate more information than is on the source DVD.
Opinions and experiences please.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an excellent current model Panasonic HD projector and using a 6ft wide screen I believe 2.35 ( or 2.55 as some Fox releases are ) comes out great as is. The projector is 16 x 9 anyway. The only advantage to using a crop setting - one of the Panasonic settings takes out the black bars and leaves the x.33 squeeze - and then adding a x.33 unsqueeze optic would be one uses all the lines of resolution on the vertical axis of the projector. BUT one adds more glass and therefore you lose some light. I haven't done this on my home set-up... only seen demos. But I'm happy with the straightforward effect as is - optically zooming up a bit to fill the screen ( and my projector has remote zoom and focus ) I believe the A lens route might be better if you have a very much larger screen to fill. For my British front room - already crammed with 16mm, Super 8, slides, etc and video projection a 6ft wide screen about 2ft 6in high on scope ( 4ft x 3ft Academy ) is enough.

[ July 27, 2008, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Steven J Kirk ]

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 26, 2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
I cant see the reason for adding an extra lens or how it would even work, [Confused] all I do is to zoom out and adjust the top and side masking to suit, as far as the image is concerned using the projector and the DVD player set for 16:9 looks fine to me on both the Panasonic and my old Sanyo Z1 projector.

Graham.

peter booth
Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 06:50 AM      Profile for peter booth   Email peter booth       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Steven I have a Panasonic VP and a 6'screen and find on 16.9 just masking the picture gives excellent results,no need for extra lenses.regards,Peter.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, the way it works is this. Cinemascope pictures (2.35:1) are of course letterboxed on the 16:9 DVD, so you have black bars above and below the picture when you project, and the picture height is only using about 75% of the projectors LCD or DLP panel height. In other words, about 25% of the projectors imaging panel is unused when projecting CinemaScope. OK, so now we electronically stretch that letterboxed DVD image in a vertical direction (using the ASPECT RATIO menu feature available on most VP's or DVD players) so that the 2.35 scope picture now occupies the full height of the 16:9 projector panel ( and therefore the full height of the screen). We now have a stretched image where everyone is tall and skinny, so it looks just like an anamorphically squeezed image. Now put a 1.3x anamorphic lens in front of the VP, and the image is expanded out to full width 2.35 CinemaScope, with the picture height being exactly the same as your 4:3 or 16:9. This is called a Constant Image Height (CIH) projection system, and is of course exactly what we all have been doing with film for the past decades.
Advocates of this system, claim that using an A-lens in this way results in a brighter, more detailed, picture than that obtained by simply zooming out, because you end up using 25% more of the video projectors picture panel. I'm not sure I buy that argument totally, since an Anamorphic lens is bound to introduce some loss of light and image contrast.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Thats interesting by using the 4:3 on the projector on a 2.35 16:9 picture would give the same height, the amount of squeeze would have to be just right for the anamorphic lens to work properly image wise, do they use a special lens? as unlike our Super8 frame which is quite small a VP 4:3 is large and as such a large lens say eg 35mm would be needed and using something like that is limited to its focus range no use for short throw video projectors that most home projectors are, the ratio I prefer is 1.85 widescreen 16:9 DVDs or Todd AO films where the widescreen panel is almost fully used, however it would be interesting to see an anamorphic lens demo.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 03:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,
There is an A/V showroom in Orlando which has the Runco CineWide projector ($35,000!!!) that has a slide on the front of it mounting an A-lens. I am planning on seeing a demo soon - not that I am in the market for a VP at that price!
The A-lenses on the market for home video projectors range in price from about $3000.00 for prism based lenses, to $6000.00 for the Isco 3 which is a cylindrical lens design. There are some cheap prism based lenses for $600.00 but they suffer from chromatic aberations and pin -cushion distortion.
At those prices I have no real desire to move from simple zooming out, with wide top and bottom masking panels to 'absorb' the grey bars on the scope video image. But I would like to see a demo of the A-lens approach.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 04:26 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The typical 2.35 DVD is BOTH black barred and x.33 squeeze so it isn't a vertical stretch. The lenses, as you say, are expensive.

--------------------
VistaVision

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 12:34 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might try out sitting a 35mm anamorphic in front of the Panasonic this coming weekend [Roll Eyes] just to see what happens you never know [Wink]

Graham.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 08:02 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, don't you need a projector which is specifically designed to take the 2.35:1 image (with black bars top and bottom) and stretch it to fill the whole 16:9 panel, as this is quite an unusual manipulation of the image.

My new Optoma is supposed to do this, but I haven't quite figured out how yet - you see several new projectors advertising this feature.

Then when you add the anamorphic lens the image is, as you point out the same height as your normal 4:3 or 16:9 image, but wider still.

I can see the advantage to this over zooming out; firstly, when you zoom out on most video projectors, doesn't the image move upwards, so it isn't central to the screen anymore.

Or, more troublesome, if it is ceiling mounted, the image would move downwards off the screen.

The anamorophic lens kits (I think most decent projector manufacturers now advertise their own kits) are designed to fit to the front of the projector and have motorised rails which slide the lens infront of the lens for 2.35:1 movies. So the image gets wider than 16:9, but stays screen central.

Also, depending upon the lens on the projector it may not be possible to zoom out for wider images. My Optoma is set at maximum image size and gives a 6ft wide picture. If I had more throw it wouldn't be a problem, but if I wanted a wider picture for 2.35:1 movies, I'd have to use an anamorphic lens with my current set-up.

One last thought is that with HD material, these lenses must (hopefully) be one heck of a piece(s) of quality glass - hence the prices!!!

PS. Just out of interest and slightly off topic, but I used a 16:9 anamorphic lens infront of my old 4:3 chip DLP projector for years with great results. Since the whole panel was in use for 16:9 movies, you got a wider image but with all the horizonatal resolution of the chip. Sure, vertical resolution was stretched a bit, but still a much better picture than zooming out a masked 16:9 image.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob,
My Panasonic 700, which is now almost 4 years old, can give a vertical stretch of the letterboxed 2.35 image (thus filling the 16:9 panel) by pressing the appropriate button in the ASPECT menu.
Going the anamorphic lens route involves a bunch of money. The Panamorph prism based lens costs about $4000.00 and the top of the line Isco 3 cylindrical lens is about $6000.00. Add to that $2,500.00 for the sled system to slide the A-lens in and out. The question is whether or not there is a really significant gain in image quality which warrants that kind of expenditure.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 09:26 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it's down to how much brighness / resolution you feel you lose by zooming out the image compared to the results of using an A lens, which comes down to the quality of that lens I suppose...I think it is one of those where only a good demo can make up your mind...that is a lot of extra cash though!

Paul, presuming that the image on your Panasonic does move off axis when you zoom it out for a wider 2.35:1, how do you compensate? With my old 4:3 projector (before using an anamorphic, I had to physically tilt the back up to bring the picture back to the centre of the screen).

Does the vertical image adjustment give you enough to compensate?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob, all the Panasonic projectors have a menu button for vertical position. Press this button and you can electronically step the picture up or down on the screen in a few seconds. You do not need to use the manual joystick lens shift feature on the projector lens, that is only used for the initial setting up of the projector and getting it aligned to the screen. When I zoom out for CinemaScope, the picture moves down on the screen. I then press the position menu button to move the picture back up to center. There is a lot of range in the electronic positioning, you can move the image up and down considerably. Its a real fast operation. Also, with my set up, there is no focus change zooming from the 16:9 to the 2.35.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey Paul

How about that DVD projection advice.....try this address:

chipgelmini (at) yahoo (dot) com

If you sent it once it might have gotten lost in the world of the too wide web LOL

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 06:21 PM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The prism 'lenses' are such a backward step, I don't advise going in that direction. It's the approach of the very early days of 'scope. The prices asked for VP A lenses are madness, IMO. Because these are the same lenses they are using in public cinema installations. On the principle of 'garbage in, garbage out' concentrate on the source; blu-ray, better DVD player, better cables, etc, first. Sticking expensive optics out the front won't add anything, only take away. The vertical line structure is the only advantage.

--------------------
VistaVision

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC