8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Has horror, lost it's horror? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Has horror, lost it's horror?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 12:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I were watching the "The Fly" the other night, and while there were some good gross out scenes in it, I talked with the wifey afterwards and we discussed horror in general, and while some Generals have been horrifying (snicker), horror, in films, hasn't been horrifying in a film in years.

It seems that most horror films really don't elicit horror either to the audience, or from the audience, being more one bloody venture with intestines bursting left and right, but perhaps we have become so desensitized, that not much really strikes us as horrifying.

Hannibal lector slicing, dicing and preparing for dinner his latest tasy victim, doesn't seem so horrifying, when we read in our paper or have plastered on our TV screens the "consciousless crime of the day" on the network news, (and we all love our "Dirty Laundry"), so that when we see, (perhaps) well crafted horror on screen, it just doesn't "do it" for us anymore, more intent on seeing the latest nublie young bare breasted woman on screen and how many seconds it'll take for her to take her top off, (and then how many seconds later she is decapitated), and then wondering two things ...

Why in the hell would she go to "Camp Runamuck"?

and ...

I just blew 8.00 dollars on this?!!

Am I the only perpetually anal person about this out there, or are there very few truly good horror films anymore?

Your opinion, gentleman?

While on the subject, what is the last TRULY horrifying film that you saw? I'm not talking about something jumping out of the screen and giving you a quick jolt, but a truly horrifying film?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 29, 2008 12:38 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think if anything it's not the movies that have changed but perhaps the movies and other media have changed us!

Let's think in these terms: in 1903 they released "The Great Train Robbery" and included a couple of seconds of a bad "feller" pointing his six gun into the camera and firing a blank. Even without sound people jumped out of their seats in panic!

These days you have heads being lopped off on screen, and you can feel the thud in the floor when the body hits the ground. Meanwhile the audience is sitting out there not impressed enough to stop talking on their cell phones!

Maybe it's a little bit of the real monsters of our lives being so much more evil than the pretend ones on the screen. How many people do Count Dracula or Frankenstein's Creature kill during a feature? -a dozen maybe? That's pretty lazy compared to a Hitler or a Stalin.

-maybe they should just merge Horror Films and Historical Films and be doen with it.

Regardless, I think that people are simply oversaturated with horror and violence and it's tough to make an impression these days.

The greatest experience with horror I ever had was once I had an overnight job alone in a factory and silly me I brought along Stephen King's novel "Pet Sematary" to fill the time between taking data. It creeped me out like no movie I've ever seen!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So called "Horror" films these days are not deserving of the title. Shock effects....loud soundtrack.....thats all thats needed it would seem.

Put on a print of THE HAUNTING (or a DVD, for that matter, if that is your wont)and sit alone in the dark watching it - it'll remind you of whats missing from the modern "Horror" film.

-Mike

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 02:03 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite agree.
For me I never fail to get creeped out by THE INNOCENTS with Deborah Kerr. And for a rare modern film with no gore, THE OTHERS. Nothing graphic, just great storytelling.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 02:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I saw Psycho in 1962, it scared the pants off me.
The Roger Corman films of the Poe stories, such as 'House of Usher' were pretty scary at the time. They are still pretty creepy, but Vincent Price has become such an Icon of the genre that he now seems like an old friend and is no longer scary. But Corman's films were so well made that they are still a joy to watch.
'The Shining' is I think one of the scariest horror films ever made, and has stood the test of time. Ealing Studios 'Dead of Night' is also very very creepy, as is 'The Innocents' with Deborah Kerr.
When I was about 8 years old I saw 'The Spiral Staircase' with Dorothy McGuire and George Brent: it literally terrified me and I could not bare to watch the film again until I was in my forties. I now have a super 8 print, and it still creeps me out.
One of the all time best is 'The Wicker Man' with Christopher Lee (NOT the recent version with Nicholas Cage, which is a disaster). The final scene of this film is unforgettable.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 07:11 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree on the Wicker Man Paul, a fantastic film in many ways.
I found the recent The Descent quite frightening, but maybe showed a little too much towards the end.
Japan does soem truly horrible and distrubing horror films, seen a few on the TV, yuk etc.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 07:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To add another layer to the discussion, I think part of the problem is that we become, not necessarily jaded, but more experienced, and while something would scare us when we were kids, it doesn't have the same impact as adults.

A good example is the late 70's horror film, "The Manitou", which is laughable these days, but there was a scene that got me when I was a kid. This person dies, (man or woman, I can't remember). The body suddenly jerks up and just starts floasting across the room. The head completely turns around and shrieks "MANITOU!!" and then the body floats above the staircase and falls limply down the stairs.

I have always been a "techno junkey" and so while other people would be shocked and horrified, I would look at it and go "cool", like the neato effects in "Life-force", (that dried mummified dead guy that rushes up to the prison bars and just disinegrates).

I have a scene in a screenplay that I wrote, working title being "Plague" (with a real neat "Twilight Zone" styled shocker of an ending!), and one of the happenings is that everyone over two years old dies of the plague and for some reason, the younger live.

In one scene, Dex (The private detective) over hears a rising "din" as he drives through the town. he turns down the radio to hear a wailing. He stops the car and gets out and looks around.

What he hears is the wailing of countless babies. We never see any of the babies, we just see housefronts at different awkward angles, (editing having quicker and quicker cuts between full shots to extreme close-ups of DEX intermingled with the housefronts.), and those baby screams coming on all 6 channels of surround sound, rising to a din.

You don't have to see the children. The horror would certianly be felt by the mothers in the audience as there are all these unattended and dying babies. All you hear is the cries. KMothers that I've told this scene to think I'm sick, but had to agree that it was very effective horror. (I don't mention that, at almost the very end of the film, now wild dogs are fighting over the leg of a dead baby.)

Which brings me to my point. I think the only way to really truly make an effective memorable horror film is to portray something that would be a true fear that they could potentially face.

There's even a script that I refuse to write about terrorists holding a school's buses hostage, (and blowing up one of the buses full of children to make a point), as I could truly see some really sick son-of-a-bitches actually attempting to emulate it in real life. Would it make an intense thriller/horror? Most definitely. Is it societally responsible? Definitely not.

--------------------

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 02:32 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that got lost somewhere along the way is NOT only using close-ups in an entire movie. I just saw Hancock (which I realise is a film in an entirely different genre than discussed in this thread) and like so many other modern films, it looks like it's been filmed with a video camera a 35mm adapter, they never heard of a tripod and almost only used close-ups. Utter crap.

My point is less is more. It's when your fantasy/imagination gets going it starts to get scary or horrifying. Take a picture like the "The Sixth Sense". We did eventually see dead people like the kid, but damn, the hinting and build-up to it was one of the best I’ve seen since I saw Poltergeist as a Kid.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No way Jose!!!

Some of the latest horror movies have been real balls to the wall horror inc INSIDE,FRONTIERS both great french movies and THE RUINS from the good ole USA,there seem to be no limits these days with the amount of gore on display which is ok in my books if required but I realy prefer the more subtle Val Lewton approach to horror where more is implied than actually shown.

Even the new BATMAN movie is pretty intense and scary,just look at Two Face!!

Cheers MW

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a favorite topic of mine....and many books have been written on it...what is scarey...and why..and to whom. A film that brings on unease and a bit of nervousness is different from one that provides the gross out factors some audiences like. To me films like the Deer Hunter and other war films are as horror filled as any so call "horror" film. Maybe more so.

Some modern era "horror" films are capable of creating true spinal chills....that Mel Gibson film, Signs, was very scarey to many people...even though there was little physical horror.
I also really enjoyed and was genuinely unsettled by the remake of House on Haunted Hill...some of the images plus sound and set design really hit me and some of the other audience members almost at the viseral level. The end was the same old special effects claptrap, but getting there was creepy.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 30, 2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing is being able to generate suspense, hold it and then release it unexpectedly. This is as opposed to your typical slasher flick where all you need is a stock story line and computer generated gore. The problem is that people can easily choose to remember that it's all fake, so they won't be scared.

Comedy works the same way: the good stuff makes people think and even surprises them by turning what they first thought upside down. The cheap stuff just brings out the badly timed bodily functions and embarrassing situations.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see the original 'House on Haunted Hill' with , the Master himself, Vincent Price ? I remember seeing this in my little home town in Wales, and they even had that William Castle gimmick 'Emergo' installed! At the appropriate point in the film, a door opened alongside the screen and a skeleton floated across the audience, being reeled in by the projectionist! Now that was showmanship! [Wink]

-

Incidentally a great movie tribute to William Castle is 'Matinee' starring John Goodman. A wonderful movie on several levels, combining 50's nostalgia with a love for film showmanship.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 11:56 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, true horror (thrillers) are now by definition, nothing but utter revulsion; chaotic slap-dash melange with hardly a threadbare plot, if you will - Mostly cheap exhibitions to showcase raw, unassuming and in many cases (untalented) talent - One aspect missing is the real chill one gets when virtually nothing happens...little if any music is necessary...silence, then a combination of sequences, no delicacy or imagination on many offerings - Frankly, horror doesn't frighten me anymore, unless it's created properly

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 12:04 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe..you reminded me of why Frankenstein gave me nightmares for years after I saw it on TV at age 8 or 9....it was the silence....no music ...no background effects....raw silence..except for the hiss and occasional tick on the ancient soundtrack. When the creature comes into the room for the first time...turning slowly around ...then quick cuts closer and closer on his face....no big musical cresendo that tells the audience "it's only a movie"....just the image...raw and unaltered. The quiet was what got to me. I tend to think that most films today are over scored.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All good points. Some directors are better than others at creating an atmosphere. Though it became more of a carnival ride, the remake of "The haunting", while a shadow to the original, had a very atmospheric setting.

Some are quite good at it. Someone already mentioned "The Others", which I also admire.

I believe the familiarity with a subject, something that people in reality fear, is the best way to go. 99.99 percent of people will never meet a "Jason" or "Freddy" in thier lifetime, thier dolls won't morph into "Chucky", (heck, the sudiences actually root on the killers!).

There have been a couple of films that dealt with it, but I always thought a film where you can take away a persons very identity with the click of a mouse, is very scary.

Perhaps the very definition of "Horror" has been so convoluted in peoples minds, (mine included), that people have no idea as to what makes horror, horror.

Heck living ooze like the blob, if done right, slowly creeping up on an arm and eating it every "ooze" of the way, is pretty cool.

A good example of horror, in my mind, is the Thing (the remake), as it had both the elements of a awesome creature, and also the scariness of not even knowing if you ... are you.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 02:32 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an actor, I thrive on these and other elements to convey the mood, when I look at scenarios as a director, I keep in mind what Hitchcock summarized with when asked about the most frightening or eerie scene to depict (I'm wording this all wrong, but in essence) - His reply, as mine is too "A Clear Horizon" - Imagine if you will, what would come next - I feel this is the starting point for scary-shudders and gasping sounds that only audiences truly in-one with the moment, can project earnestly - I write some ideas down myself in this vein

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2008 09:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the creepiest movies of all time..........

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2008 03:49 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Ring" was a pretty creepy modern horror film. The US remake "The Ring" was good too. Worth looking for the original Japanese version if you haven't seen it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2008 01:59 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes these Japanese originals are far better than the US re-makes,check out THE GRUDGE & SHUTTER too.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 31, 2008 07:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job on those posters that you posted Paul!

I have that one "House On Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price, and it also had one of my favorite character actors who had an incredibly long career, "Elisha Cook Jr."!

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 31, 2008 09:45 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, did the 'Emergo' skeleton come shipped with your print of 'Haunted Hill"? [Big Grin]

Osi has opened a great thread here, and I think we are all agreed that the modern blood and guts horror movies just do not hack it (pun not intended [Big Grin] ). The truly terrifying and creepy movies mostly seem to be from Hollywoods golden age of the 30's ,40's and 50's. I have already mentioned 'The Spiral Staircase'(1946) as a film that really creeped me out, but there is one other film that just came to mind, which absolutely terrified me and caused nightmares well into my twenties. The film is 'The Red House' starring Edward G. Robinson. It is about a forbidden red house set way out by itself in the middle of a wood. Something terrifying happened there, and the film gradually reveals its awful secret. This is a film which will induce a claustrophobic terror and gnawing anxiety in most viewers. It is a little known film but is available on DVD. Seek it out, and make sure you do not watch it alone. The epitome of psychological horror.

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 31, 2008 11:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is interesting timing as "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" is the review at the top of the list on the reviews at the moment.

Pound for Pound, the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", is a great horror/sci-fi flick, (especially if you've been able to see the original cut the director intended, as the studio demanded that the prologue and epilogue be added to the film,
as it was too terrifying, as far as studio heads were concerned)

By the way, speaking of classic horror, one of the great almost forgotten horror classics has been restored and looks truly impressive, being released by Criterion DVD ...

Vampyr!!!

This film is amazingly atmospheric. The Photography is incredible. I loved all the trick photography, (for instance, the shadow shovelling dirt, backwards. A person and his shadow doing the opposite, great stuff!!) The whole film almost feels like it's done in slow motion. It's plaed out like a dream. I have read that the director actually smeared vaseline or some other substance over the lense to purposely give the image on screen a hazy feel. It has little dialogue and was made during that whole period when silents were switching to sound and so it could be just as easily shown as a silent.

The wonderful thing is that this film actually made it onto standard 8mm. It was entitled, "Castle of Doom", (3X400) for release in america with a synchronized soundtrack. Very rare now, (I snatched up the one copy I saw on ebay in the last five years, that's how rare!), but well worth it!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 01, 2008 01:55 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets not forget NOSFERATU - one of the most, if not the most, creepy movie versions of the Dracula story.

Max Schreck as Count Orlock is the most evil looking vampire of all time.

Difficult to find a decent 16mm print of this - and I would assume 8mm also.

-Mike

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 01, 2008 09:00 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Mike, Nosferatu is unsurpassed. The shot of Schrek's shadow climbing the staircase is unforgettable, and the flickering black and white imagery gives the whole film an unearthly feel.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2008 04:03 AM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's a difference between gore films and disturbing films; and I like the latter. Some of the most disturbing films I recall are Quatermass and The Pit, Jacob's Ladder, Angel Heart, Night of the Demon, Village of the Damned, etc.

I showed the original Frankenstein to my 11 year old nephew last week (on the video projector). The next day he made me promise never to show him scary movies again. Along with the silence, as mentioned above, the other element of this film is its unremitting cruelty; apart from the female lead (and the monster!) no character seems to care a jot about anyone bar themselves. The final scene with the creature in the windmill screaming as he burns is still disturbing. A shocking and distrubing film, yet we never actually see anything horrific - a lesson methinks.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC