8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Has horror, lost it's horror? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Has horror, lost it's horror?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 02, 2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no other horror film creature that emits such sympathy from me than the original Frankenstein!

He didn't ask to be there. He didn't ask to exist, period, and all that he gets is cruelty. I felt so sorry for him. In truth, the monster Dr. Frankenstein creates is the only one in the film who, in truth, is not a monster.

I agree, films that are disturbing, or far more horrifying the gore filled movies. Unless you have seen combat, (though I was in the first gulf war, I didn't consider what we faced combat, compared to what they are facing these days), you wouldn't have seen much "gore", so that stuff I believe, the audience doesn't really take too seriously.

Ahh, we are jaded ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Stewart McSporran
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2008 01:53 PM      Profile for Stewart McSporran   Email Stewart McSporran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief Osi, were we separated at birth?

From one of your previous posts I see that we're the same age. I also served in the military (Royal Navy), spent some time in combat zones but never (thankfully) actually saw action. The nearest I came to Gulf War One was three months in a bunker under London tracking enemy shipping. Although I later found that my name had come up to command a patrol boat off Cyprus in order to release the Royal Marines there for service in the Gulf. That would have been my type of war!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 04, 2008 09:43 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did a two year stint in the Army for my country. I got out of the Military about three month's after the first Gulf Conflict was completed, but as George C. Scott says in his brilliant speech in the beginning of Patton.

"When people asked you what you did, during that great world war, you won't have to say ...

Well, I shoveled shit in Montana. "

(loose paraphrase)

I will always be able to hold my head high and say I did my bit for "King and Country"

Back to Horror ...

Jacob's ladder was a good creepy film. Another good film, (though more along the lines of science fiction), was "Altered States", which had some good horror elements as well, and truly kick ass special effects. I was truly knocked out by that and even almost thirty years later, it still packs a wallop!

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2008 03:43 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been interested in horror films. As a kid, I didn't want to be scared at the movies.

As an young adult I was thrilled to watch Poltergeist, then later The FLY with Jeff Goldblum and Gena Davis. And Jack Nicholson in The Shining tops my list. I had a chance to see Physco and liked that one. At the screening, Anthony Perkins who lived in Wellfleet here on Cape Cod made an appearance for discussion. He later died of Aids - and his wife was on one of the planes that struck the Towers on 9/11. They were a really nice couple. In Wellfleet they are sadly missed.

Slice and Dice movies just don't interest me period. Those aren't scary.....they're just stupid. And comedies about scary movies (i.e. "Scary Movie") are just plain gross and a waste of production and box office time & money. I was checking the theater (doing a walk through) during the mentioned title in this paragraph, and the scene involved the male member sticking through a peep hole in a bathroom stall. I was so surprised that people were laughing at this. I found it particularly disturbing....both in the sense the scene it's self was very gross overall, and that it is the reason why movies like Scary Movie and I Know What You Did Last Summer are being made....revenues up the wazoo. They can take these cheap horror movies without the revenues and put them you - know - where.

So I think Osi is right. Horror has lost it's horror. And that makes me think that Hollywood will loose it too. I just hope it doesn't happen before my time is up. I just bought a DVD projector, the Panasonic AX200U. I want to enjoy it for a very long time. The possibilities of multiple medias on my big screen, double features, trilogies are mind boggling endless.

:-)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 06, 2008 09:38 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony Perkins, not there was a guy who could really creep you out! He looks so darn innocent, and then he slices you up in the shower!

I've never gotten over that scene where he's watching the car sinking into the bog, calmly munching on candy, until he stops,

as the car has stopped, then the bubbles start coming up again and it sinks further.

and Perkins smiles ....

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted August 06, 2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perkins was great.

PSYCHO II was also a great movie because it was made so many years later. One of my favourite movie scenes is at the beginning at Normans release hearing when the camera moves slowly in on the back of Normans head.

PSYCHO III was just crap - cashing in.

-Mike

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 06, 2008 08:58 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Micheal.

Psycho 2 (probably mis-spelled that) had a lot in common with the first. It was more the slow falling apart of Norman
and just seeing the small pieces of his fragile ego falling to the ground. The fact that many of the original cast members being a part of it helped a lot as well.

--------------------

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2008 07:55 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to chirp in one more time on this....yes most modern horror movies are horrible, but I have to recommend the Scream series....a "cut " above the usual slasher film...with an actual mystery to solve in each one..and by number three, you really do care about the main characters that have survived through the first two films. I also find them quite repeatable. And yes, I am the biggest fan of old Universal horror films...but the Scream movies are , to me, clever, high powered , suspense and mystery filled films...and lots of fun.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC