8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I'm very happy because..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm very happy because..
Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
last night I went to St David's Hall in Cardiff to see my beloved Moody Blues.
These guys get better with age and gave an outstanding performance to a full house. They received a very long standing ovation after 'Nights In White Satin' and at the end of the show.
regards,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 06:33 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mal,

Thats great. I've never seen the Moody Blues - glad you enjoyed the show.

Tonight I'm being dragged along to Stevie Wonder in London. He's not my cup of tea but, its a birthday present for my missus.

But, on Friday we go to see SOUTHSIDE JOHNNY AND THE ASBURY JUKES in Shepherds Bush - now thats my kinda music!!!! [Big Grin]

-Mike

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the honor of seeing them here in the states with that full orchestra backing them up. Except for them slightly speeding up those early classics, I enjoyed them immensely.

ELO was another band I saw live, (well the regrouped band entitled, "Orchestra", with a full orchestra backing them up, with two local high school chiors as well, and it really was great!

(Too bad Jeff Lynne wasn't a part of it).

Hey Mal, it's just my sick sense of humor, but your post and the next one down combined say ...

I'm very happy because ..

actor Paul Newman is dead.

I dunno, it struck me as funny.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2008 10:31 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but since you reponded to it is now:

"I'm very happy because check your speakers how the west was won Actor Paul Newman is dead."

Paul Newman died so we could win the west. The things we learn from speakers!

(Sorry, Mal...)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 12:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Mal,

Us juvenile deliquents, (I'm surpirsed I knew how to spell that), will never grow up!

I would LOVE to see Cheap Trick live, I have heard that they are one of the greatest live bands and even in some cases, they're songs sound far better (as in the case of "I Want You To Want Me")

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal

I read your post before I went to work this morning and consequently I've been singing the first couple of lines of Nights in White Satin to myself all day long, it gradually drove everyone in my office mad and now it's driving me mad! [Eek!]

Great song though, bet it was a great concert! [Smile]

Mike

Ps: Any one got any suggestions of a song to get NiWS out of my head? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 01, 2008 01:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike,

Try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIabgPX14R4

It's a small world after all!
It's a small, small, world!

Considered by many the most persistant song in your head on the planet.

(I'd rather have "Nights in White Satin" in my head, but you asked!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 02:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"This is the song that never ends,
and it goes on and on my friend
somebody started to sing it,
without knowing what it was
and they'll continue singing it,
forever, just because ..."

(repeat until vomiting incurs ...)

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 04:13 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Mal, you could not get me into the St.David's hall in Cardiff to see The Moody Blues. Now if it was The Treorchy Male Voice Choir that would be another story! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal, great to know they are still great!...I still remember the Moodys as they were 40 years ago....Days of Future Passed [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike P,
Yes NiWS is even better live than the original recording.
Have a look on youtube - Moody Blues Live At The Greek and scroll down to NiWS.
Paul- and I held you in such high esteem [Big Grin] The TMVC not a bad choice though!
Joe,
42 years on and touring more than they ever did in the past.
Flautist Ray Thomas retired 4 years ago due to ill-health so that rich baritone voice is missed in the harmonies but his replacement, Norda Mullen is a better flautist,plays guitar, does backing vocals and looks much better [Smile] [Roll Eyes]
regards,
Mal

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 03, 2008 10:09 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad to hear that he's gone. I have the original video from when the song first came out, with that lovely flute solo, probably the most memorable flute solo in all of rock. Yeah, I know that Jethro Tull did some great flute parts, but it's the combination of all elements, so I vote "Night's in White Satin" as the best flute solo part.

--------------------

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
just caught up with this post.
You mentioned Jethro Tull, well in an interview Ian Anderson,Tull's singer/flautist said he was hoping to get the gig with the Moodies, but then the band found Norda Mullen.
Mal

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mal,

Another great live band is the reformed "Orchestra" (made up of the original members, mostly of ELO) and they really are something to watch, but they rarely come over to the US anymore, mostly in the UK and all over the world. With that orchestra, backing up the Orchestra, they are great. I have a DVD of thier Concert in reno, (which I also saw live). It does show how much of a difference there is to DVD live and LIVE!

If you get a chance to see em, see em!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC