8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Waltons ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Waltons ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2008 10:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is way off my usual cine wanderings, but I recently bought the first season of "The Waltons" (hey, it was marked down season one for only five bucks, what the heck!) a show which I only rarely watched as a kid, and I have been impressed with how much I like it now. "Little Louse of the Prairie" (yes, mis-spelling is on purpose!) and this show are a very good companion together.

I am forever wrapped in Nolstalgia. Yeah, I know, times were in reality, tough during all periods, but i would have liked growing up back then. Even with all of our modern fancy stuff, I would love to have lived during that simpler time and, in the case of the Waltons, I would have grown up in the infancy of home movie collecting ... hah!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 04:41 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What struck me a bit about the Walton's is that they were a bit poor and struggling to get by with food, clothing ect. But wait didnt they OWN waltons mountain. Now if I owned a mountain id be stinking rich and rolling in it. I know in a much later episode Jon Boy actually sold off some land but couldnt they have done that much sooner.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 02, 2008 05:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three rules of real estate: 1) location 2) location 3) location

First rules of comedy, romance and business: Timing

They were in a place where land was plentiful and cheap at a time when nobody could afford to buy it anyway.

If they owned a mountain in Silicon Valley in the 1990s, now we're talking!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2008 05:50 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time they had finished saying 'goodnight' to each other it was time to get up again [Smile]
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 07:06 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

If you like the good old nostalgic shows, there was a really good 30 minute cartoon series that came on in the 70's. It was called "Those Were The Days", or something similar, and was alot like "The Waltons". It only lasted about one or two seasons, and you won't find too many people who remember it I don't think. The animation was similar to that of the original "Charlottes Web" movie.

I don't think its on video or DVD, but I'm sure there are 16mm prints out there somewhere, since it was on T.V. in the 70's.

James.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 04, 2008 09:24 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember that one, but for some reason, I remember a cartoon show called, "Wait Till Your Father Gets Home", mostly because of the theme song.

Most of my memories of Kids shows back then are a little spotty, but I do remember "HR Puff n Stuff" , The Banana Splits (Live action and animation) and of course "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters"

I know everybody has thier opinion on this, but I really do feel that, as a 70's kid, I had a very privileged time for Saturday Morning cartoons! There were a lot of really good cartoons! My wife and I usually turn on the TV on Saturday morning, and either the networks aren't carrying any cartoons period (every network had at least four hours of cartoons back in the 70's), or the cartoons are all "Yu gi Oh" or magic and scorcery. There's very few just sweet kids cartoons anymore. They all seem to have an agenda.

I think part of that is because the people who made the cartoons all the way until the early 80. were veterans of the theatrical cartoon market of the 1930's on up until the end (late 60's).

A side note : Did you know that the man who animated the lovely sexy fairy in Ralph Bashki's "Wizards" (1977) was Irv Spencer, the very same guy who animated Jerry mouse in the Tom and Jerry cartoons for twenty five years? Fascinating!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 04, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I also remember "Wait Til Your Father Gets Home" and the theme song.

In Ireland we had this on twice a week just after 6pm back in the 70's.

-Mike

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC