8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How do I transalate a French language email into English

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I transalate a French language email into English
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2008 11:27 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a question about 8mm (I can make that bit out) but it's in French, is there a site I can use to translate it into English, but please remember I'm not the greatest in using computers or thyere tools, so a simple site (if possible) please.

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2008 11:37 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url

--------------------
Regards,
David

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 03, 2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
babelfish does a reasonable job:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Unfortunately language is a very human skill and this will get you no closer than the kind of translation that may get your face slapped if used in the wrong circumstances.

If you cut and pasted the question here, I bet one of our French speaking members would help you out.

Edit: David got there first, but at least so far we are unanimous!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 03, 2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as a "back-up" to Babelfish Barry, you could also try this site.

http://www.rock3.co.uk/translate.shtml

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 03, 2008 01:42 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monsieur Friendly Giant: Why don't you ask me? If it's not too long, I can probably help.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Thanks, here's the email he sent me.

Bonjour.

Amateur de films en super 8,j'ai trouve votre site et je trouve celui ci tres plaisant.Je souhaite commander des films chez vous,mais helas je ne sais pas lire l'anglais.Le but de mon message d'aujourd'hui est de savoir si vous lisez le francais?afin que je puisse passer commande et vous poser quelques questions.Merci

Cordialement

So if you could give a brief translation, I'd be one happy BFG.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 03:07 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, I'm not going to post a translation here as Jean-Marc has kindly offered to do it, but either of the two "translation links" actually produce excellent translations of this particular message, certainly good enough for you to do business with the sender. You could use the same facility for writing back, or you could write in English and he use those facilities.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 04, 2008 03:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, here's what he says:

Hello,
Being a super 8 buff, I have discovered your site and I find it quite interesting. I would like to order some films from you but, unfortunately, I do not understand English. The aim of this message is to ask you whether or not you understand French as I would like to ask you a few questions prior to ordering anything.
Cordially

I'll be glad to translate your anwser. Please forward it to:

super8 (at) amusement-id (dot) com

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2008 04:14 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Thanks,

I'll be sending you an email in a minute together with his email address.

Barry.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 02:26 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what friends are for.

Good on you, Jean-Marc.

--------------------
Maurice

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 06, 2008 02:53 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi barry,

JM has done an excellent job, but in case he is not available this is what I got from google translation http://translate.google.co.id/:

quote:
Hello.

Amateur film in Super 8, I found your site and I find this one very pleasant. I want to order movies at home, but unfortunately I can not read English. The purpose of my message today is whether you read French? So I can place an order and ask you some questions. Thank you

Best regards

and for a comparison from babel fish http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url :

quote:
Hello. Film amateur into super 8, j' have finds your site and I find that Ci very pleasant. I wish to order films on your premise, but alas I cannot read l' English. The goal of my message d' aujourd' today is knowto know if you read French? so that I can place order and to ask you some questions. Thank you Cordially
And finally for http://www.rock3.co.uk/translate.shtml is actually using google translator like the first above.

Which one is the most understandable for you?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 03:08 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting... it would appear that the babelfish translator is quite variable; when I used it the result was clearer than that.

The Google one seems more stable.

Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted October 06, 2008 04:00 PM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the internet an amazing thing?

Paul.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC