8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » A Silver Screen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Silver Screen
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2008 08:41 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guy's
Can anyone help. I used to some many years ago have a silver screen, i was told at the time it was better for contrast. I would like to know if they are still available, are they better or is there another screen surface that would give the same or better results. I afraid it is for my digital projector not my newly acquired Sankyo 700.

Any ideas?
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 03:16 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a good white one.
We used to use silver ones when cine projectors lacked light output, but they gave a very small angle of view due to conentrating reflection of light to the front.
With todays high output lamps normal screen best.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 04:58 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been some talk about using slightly grey screens for video projection, because of shallow contrast on LCD projectors but the 'silver screen' as I understand it goes way back to pre-war and 'yellowish' arc lights. It may also only suit Black and White films. I'd get matt white vinyl now. I use a Panasonic VP and 16 and 8 cine and it works well.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 05:07 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Star Wars DVD to set my projector up, I think all THX DVDs have the setting up on.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 05:39 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With a silver screen the projectionist always had the best view!

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 05:46 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been checking through my screens....
I have Matt White Linen in a steel box (virtually unused), Matt White Plastic on a tripod (2), Silver Plastic on a tripod and a "Boots" BEADED on a tripod ! Not a lot of people know what "Beaded" is... and it gives the projectionist the best view of all (audience, what audience?)

Martin

[ October 27, 2008, 07:44 AM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 06:14 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a silver screen for my 8mm film shows and think that the picture is far clearer putting more light on the screen than using a matt white screen,however the downside is that the audience needs to be seated directly in front of it,if you sit at the side the picture appears very dull indeed.

As you say the Projectionist always gets the best view LOL!!

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 04:33 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than a very narrow viewing angle, the other purpose for a silver screen is for polarized 3-D projection.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC