8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » New LCD Projector (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New LCD Projector
Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 06:20 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I,ve just taken the plunge and bought a Hitachi CR-S55 LCD Projector,very impressed so far as I get a massive 6ft x 4ft picture in my living room,the light output is amazing at 1500 lumens and its so quiet too.

Watched a DVD of WANTED last night in 16 x 9 mode which was great fun,the picture was very sharp with great colours.

Does anyone else use this particular model?

|  IP: Logged

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 06:49 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,
Sound cool! I have done a search for you projector but can't seem to find it, could you post a link to a web site so i can have butchers at it.

1500 lumen's is bright, and great for daylight viewing when required. Is it your first digital projector?

I have just started up watching my Panny again. The Old mill, although not as good as my German 8mm print, followed by Elizabeth the golden age. My screen size is the same, i was dabbling with moving up to 8ft across!!! But might be pushing it in my room. Then again. [Roll Eyes] But i do need a new screen.

This is what i want for Xmas although not much hope i fear...
http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/imagelibrary/projectors/Epson/EMP-TW2000/pdf/Epson_EMP-TW2000.pdf

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Chris,

Here's a link with the full specs..

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/imagelibrary/projectors/Hitachi/CP-RS55/pdf/Hit achi_CP-RS55.pdf

I will add that to my Xmas list too!!

Cheers Mark W

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 11:18 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Mark,

I have Panasonic PT AE700E and has been a problem projector. it is still good to watch but i would not buy another Panasonic unless it came with a very long warranty. The Epson, is looking better to me all the time. The three chip DLP's are the best but are way too expensive at the moment, and i wouldn't touch a single chip due to rainbow effect, which i read can still be a problem.

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 02:45 PM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris,
I've had the Panasonic 700 model for 38 trouble-free months [there's the kiss of death [Smile] ] but I have read of others having problems, I believe our own Paul Adsett had some teething troubles with his.
Could you please tell me what sort of problems you have experienced, and their remedies?
thanks,
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2008 11:11 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mal,

Don't worry, if yours has been going for that amount time you have at least 6 months left. [Wink] [Big Grin]

Mine is acceptable for viewing in colour, but black & white viewing is a problem, to me. Note that non amateur projectionists in the household don't see a problem.

I think it's a problem with mirror alignment, although not 100% sure. If you go into the service menu that's the secret one hold down OSD and you can open a service screen, this should be white, mine has a green tint running down the middle, about 50%. This is not visible normally when projecting a colour film, unless you really look for it, but as i know about it i tent to scrutinize what I’m watching. Black and white it is very noticeable to me. [Frown] [Frown]

The projector had this problem after 11 months I sent it back to the internet shop and they sent it on for repairs, when it came back to them one of the LCD panels was cracked. They sent it back where they replaced all three panels, they were not happy as this cost them a small fortune. When I eventually got it back it was still not 100%, but I had a feeling it would be nothing but a nightmare to carry on sending it back as they were getting funny with me. Anyway it wasn’t too bad, but as time went on it got worse. I wouldn’t buy another VP unless it came with 3 years warranty like the Epson one I left a link to.

A problem that was fixable by me was the video banding I got when the unit was left on standby. Now it never gets left on standby and I get no banding.

These projectors were the bees when they first come out, and still the picture is pretty good compared with the new budget models coming out. But I am keen to go 1080P and also i want the contrast ratio that these new VPs have got. The AE700 2000:1 against the TW2000 50,000:1 I'm told the difference is like day & night, and i believe it.

I have never had these problems with my ciné projectors, that should tell me something. [Wink]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Christopher Way
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 05:40 AM      Profile for Christopher Way     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do like the Hitachi RS55 projector shown above. Can I asked what sort of price these retail at. Also, and I could not make it out from the specs. Is the DVD loaded into the machine, or is it connected to a separate DVD player. I believe the latter looks more possible.

Regards, Chris

PS: Great to see some digital aspects on the forum, [Smile] [Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 06:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For less than £500 (bought from Dixons in March '08 for £415 in my case) I would highly recommend an Optoma HD65, with 4000:1 contrast ratio, 4 year warranty and 10 year colour guarantee - new lamps when needed are cheap too (for VPs anyway) at £100 each. This is my 'current' model and it is the best performing machine I've ever used.

Link to HD65.pdf brochure here:
http://www.optoma.co.uk/uploads/brochures/HD65-B-en-gb.pdf

And loads of screenshots (see all the pages) here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/dlp-lcd-d-ila-projectors/747144-hd65-owners-thread-settings-calibration-screenshots-technical-issues.html

I can vouch for it looking every bit as good in real life as the screenshots on AVForums show.

Kevin

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 08:32 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, That's what i call value for money, excellent screen shots, the detail even at 720P is outstanding. Makes my set up look sick. [Frown] Have you seen any rainbow??
And can i ask what Blu Ray machine you are using, and if that was also a bargain? [Wink] [Smile]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 05:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chris

Thankfully no rainbows for me or the family with this VP - I realise though some people are more susceptible to the rainbow effect than others but this should be lessened now that faster RPM DLP colour wheels are used.

You know me as a bit of a bargain hunter, so with regards to feeding HD content to my Optoma I use two Toshiba EP30 HD-DVD players. I picked them both up brand new for £49.99 each earlier this year, one from Play.com and one from scAmazon UK, available so cheaply (they were originally priced at over £200 each in December 2007) as Warners pulled the plug on HD-DVD production thus making it effectively a dead format. However, as the players each came with five free disks I quickly sold the disks thus making the players almost F.O.C. Since then HD-DVD disks have been available from HMV etc. for £2.99 so I have a large box of HD content to keep me happy until BluRay prices drop below £100 for players and £10 for new (not old catalogue) titles. It will happen soon trust me - only yesterday John Lewis sold off their Sony BDP-S300 players for £99 each although being profile 1 and not upgradable, and pretty slow and clunky in operation, I'd personally wait for the newer models to reduce in price first.
Link to the John Lewis Sony player is as follows:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230443430/Product.aspx

Sadly at the moment all my AV kit is boxed up waiting for the slowest DIY builder in the world (ME !) to finally finish my home cinema conversion. The end result of Super 8, 16mm, DVD & HD projection (and a soundproof place to play my drum set too) in a permanent set up will be a dream come true though.

Regarding your Panasonic projector I would consider going to Panasonic direct, complaining in writing that the service level received via the supplier was less than impressive, and that your expectations regarding reasonable long term use and reliability of what was their top of the range model have not been met - often a well worded letter to the customer service department of a large manufacturer will have a more positive outcome than complaining to the supplier who, these days, are just box shifters really. Even if out of warranty Panasonic should still help you especially as your problems started within the warranty period but were never fully resolved. You have nothing to lose by complaining and everything to gain.

Kevin

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 10:06 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
Thanks for replying. Yes i was playing around with the idea of getting a cheap HD player to play with, but have not come across any as cheap as £49!!! You are Mr. Bargain. [Big Grin]

I am very tempted with your VP, i have seen them for around £460, but i am going to wait now, as you said prices are dropping quickly.

I may well do as you said and have a go at complaining to Panasonic, although i have herd from the AV forum that the customer service department is not very helpful to say the least, still one can but try.

You must and i mean MUST, post pictures of the home cinema conversion when completed, i am soooo envious.

Catch you at the BFCC.
Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 31, 2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin

you are the man! I quite fancy that projector as well.
Now when should the lightwater 6 (or is that Lightwater clique?) book in for the opening night? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2008 07:03 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any time your ready Tony, I am. [Smile]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 01, 2008 09:28 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hitachi also do nice XGA ones 2.3 million pixels compared to about 1.5 milion svga. But the svga are also superb.
You can often pick up very little used machines for £100-150 on ebay and they really are good with HD connectivity I believe on some models via the 3 colours in to get you going at least.
But s-video in is superb for dvds and about the best on the non 3 colour ones.
8 feet accross the top should be easy on these machines at 1500 lumens etc and as you go up you loose very little image quality at all, go for it.
You can also sit much closer to an 8 feet VP image than cine without any screen distance issues.
Nice looking machine Mark, have fun.
Best Mark.

[URL=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-6k-lumens-SVGA-Hitachi-CP-RS55-LCD-Projector_W0QQitemZ230303552635QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230303552635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A 2%7C6]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-6k-lumens-SVGA-Hitachi-CP-RS55-LCD-Projector_W0QQitemZ230303552635QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230303552635&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3 A2%7C6[/URL] 5%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

This one below is a good buy and can do HD to a degree and XGA 2.3 mllion pixels you really can`t see as so tightly packed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hitachi-ED-X15-LCD-Portable-Projector-2000-Ansi-NEW_W0QQitemZ160295803971QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160295803971&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A 2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 04:44 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Mark,

Cheers for your comments,I,m really pleased with my Hitachi so far showed A NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS on DVD yesterday and it looked superb with great colours.

I,m using the S-Video output too and hooking the sound to my Amplifier with 5.1 surround.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 02, 2008 05:42 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, sounds great. I`d say with those lumens 8 feet across the top would be easy.
Whats it like in eco mode, probably all you need.

I just use s-video from my £16.99 Durabrand Asda dvd player and the picture is amazing on my philips. It does have 3 colours in and I do have a proline player wth great pic and 3 colours out but simply never bothered as so good as is and like the little black stylish Durabrand in the sittingroom.
I suppose that means I can upgrade by just switching players and leads if in the mood one day !!!!
Some up to date dvds on the philips are so lovely its amazing.
If anyone is still wondering if they should have a go at VP ( and film ) its really worth a try as opens up so much more.
Also a really good point is opening titles up to watch large screen that other people , friends and family can enjoy as we collecors do tend to be a little centered if you will.
My kids prefer the VP as they chose what they like, not whats available or what I fancied buying on film.
Best of both worlds is fantastic, but I just can`t manage without a bit of real film going through most days.
Best Mark.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 02, 2008 06:41 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funny thing I've found is that even beyond the standard resistance to using real film, many people don't seem to like the idea of projecting either.

When most people talk about home theater these days, they are talking about an immense TV set with a 5 foot screen.

I have a friend(?) that gets a scowl on his face every time I mention my small gauge films (-having never seen them, of course...). What I found even more interesting is that I mentioned also going VP and again there was that same scowl! (Note: the subject of the conversation was home theater: seemed appropriate.)

However, why should I want to have in immense screen and cabinet dominating my living room 24 hours a day, when I can have a little projector perched up on a shelf and a pull down screen hidden away behind the curtains whenever we aren't in "theater mode", and also get a larger projection surface to boot!

-just seems common sense to me!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Mal Brake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Mal Brake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
I agree with your comments about large TV sets dominating a room 24/7. Where are the senses of novelty or more importantly, of occasion if someone watches day to day TV programs and films on the same screen.Familiarity will soon set in.
Luckily I have a spare bedroom dedicated to big screen movies be it film and/or dvd. When anyone enters the modest little room with its blackouts, dimmed coloured lighting, background music and its 8ft scope screen they are transported into a world removed from just TV.
One of my sons-in-law bought a very large TV, again used for everything. He was in my room one day looking at a dvd in 16:9 mode and said the picture is very good but hardly any bigger than his TV picture. Time to play the trump card...
changed the dvd for 2:40 ratio one and opened up the picture to almost fill the full width of the screen...
Mal

--------------------
I'm gonna live forever or die trying

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 02, 2008 07:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mal!,

Part of the reasoning for me is a living room is supposed to be a place for people to sit and talk and any TV at all is just an invitation for somebody to grab the remote and all human interaction to cease.

-The bigger the TV the bigger the temptation.

My grandfather was legendary for turning on the box in the middle of a party. ("Hey everyone, it's time to cut the cake" " Shhhh! -we're watching the game!") Eventually when my parents re-did the living room, my mom banished the thing altogether!

--------------------

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2008 07:58 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,
As you know LCD/Plasma TV does not give a picture as good as a good VP, also the picture looks really clinical and not cinematic as the VP can set up right. When i compare the difference between the two, and I have a 40" samsung LCD, the difference in picture quality is miles apart. Your friend is really missing out. [Frown]

Right i have a job to do on my Sankyo. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

[ November 02, 2008, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Christopher P Quinn ]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 02, 2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but people follow the herd, especially where technology is concerned, even if they don't really understand the difference. I love the way the word "digital" is thrown around these days. When I went to electronics school we were in the second year before we studied that concept and now it's become buzz word that everyone uses but few really understand. (Would they like it so much if they found out it's really about [gulp!] math!!)

My brother in law has about a 48 inch plasma screen and what intrigues me about it is the variabilty of the picture quality. It will look apectacular and then all of a sudden there will be a rapid motion on screen and there will be image smearing. HD really does look better, but unfortunately for the years they've been using the thing it's been mostly broadcast TV, which looks pretty bad.

-fortunately for them, they don't really notice the difference.

I think I'd be happier with a CRT TV half the size, but that ship has pretty much sailed these days.

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 02, 2008 06:24 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think its still hard to beat a decent old fashioned TV set for picture quality. The family old Matsui!!!! cheapie 32 inch looks amazing compared to 32" LCD I think.
Some of the big ones even now you have to sit twice as far away so the picture is OK. So why bother.
Your right good VP blows large screen TV completely away even up to 8-10 feet across its till better really.

I`m glad cine drove me along to wanting to project the image of dvd, for me actual video projection itself is just a bit more magic than DVD on the tv( well a real lot nicer really).
I see even argos sell VP,s now in the UK and there are plenty of interest free deals to be had.
If I could afford to buy new I would definately go for one of the 3/4 years gaurantee jobs. You can buy the machines now for what they would sell you the same extended gaurantee on them for not long so ago.
Its a great value time with top qaulity to get into VP as a cracking suppliment to film.
But simply nothing, no hpw ever for me will replace finding a nice film and looking forward to it coming in the post and then opening that little pack with 16mm or 8mm real film in it, quickly popping out the projector and running a few feet etc.
Magic, Best Mark.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2008 05:56 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I finally hooked up my Blu ray player to my projector and the results were superb!!

It was just a question of finding the right lead as the projector itself had no HDMI input,so I got a lead with 3 x RCA connectors which plugs directly into the SVGA port of the projector.

The resulting 1080p is fantastic and the lead only cost a few quid!

The quality of the upscaled dvds is also excellent,just watched the original WAR OF THE WORLDS in full screen 4.3 mode and it looked terrific.

I have also taken your advice and used the eco/whisper mode which hopefully will give me an extra 1000 hours,the light lost is very marginal and also gives a more filmic image.

Cheers MW

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 06, 2008 08:39 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark, sounds great, so that was three coulours down to SVGA in. I have 3 colours in on my VP so maybe its worth going blue ray.
So theres a real step up over usual DVD, is that a sony or samsung player by the way.
Best Mark.

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2008 08:58 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark W,

Hi Mark,
I don't think you can up scale to 1080P on your set up. You have to have an HDMI input to start and your screen resolution has to be 1920 X 1080, for 1080 progressive. Unless i have read wrong on your posts. I have HDMI input on mine but can only get 620P out of it, mainly because of my ageing 3 year old player. [Frown]

Chris.

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC