8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » BLACKPOOL VISITED!!!!!! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BLACKPOOL VISITED!!!!!!
Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heres some photos to start, loads more to come.

I am writing my post about the day and will post along with more photos shortly.

Chris. Enjoy...

Part of the bring & buy table.
 -

Main Cinema 1 (sorry about the quality)
 -

Classic Table...
 -

Main Derann Table
 -

one of the tables...
 -

The other half finds a friend.

As you walk in...
 -

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 04:24 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Pics Chris,are you glad you went in the end? ...Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 16, 2008 04:45 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, judging from the photos, I think Chris went in the front. [Big Grin]

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 06:25 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did, i did.

Left home from Eaton Bray Saturday morning at 8.30. Arrived four hours later some 207 miles to the B&B and all I can say is that it was the biggest flea pit I have ever seen and I’ve seen some I can tell you. Did a quick turn around and found a really nice hotel The Clarendon.

Spent the rest of the day visiting shops as was the agreement with the other half. (All married men will understand this bit) Dined at the hotel, very nice, and had a good drink in the bar, see pictures.

Arrived at the Savoy at 10.30 full of the English breakfast and ready to go. Parking was dead easy and got a space on the road costing £0 which is always a bonus. There is though plenty of parking available for those not as tight fisted as me.

OK, I was apprehensive as I made my way into the hotel, thinking that I was going to be let down, but i have to say the whole event was nothing but brilliant! I found friendly people every where I went, including the hotel staff, who were very helpful. A good mixture of super 8 & 16mm on the tables along with DVD! Everyone was happy. Even Phil of Classic was smiling, sorry Phil.

The Derann table was well stocked and the guy’s seemed busy from the start, even the other half found a table selling film posters and prints that she liked and we bought two photos of the boys (L&H). I found Record players an old radio, loads of binoculars for those sitting in the back row of the cinema, 78’s an old magic lantern, you name it, it was there, Just a nice mixture to keep your interest up. Bargains were around and dealers keen to talk you into buying there films.

I visited one film show and watch a film on early cinema buildings, it was interesting and informative, but I get fidgety and had to move on. My mission was taking photos.
I was excited also at the prospect at seeing the Derann special Blu Ray full HD show. The 1080P show was very impressive and will write more about it later. Derann had a second table dedicated to there digital side, blu ray, DVD, a dlp projector and LCD TV on show.

I bought a little film and had fun bidding in the auction, something that I would like to see at the BFCC again. (any chance John) I won a Derann print Tom & Jerry (Safety Second) for £12 and after just checking it out, found that it is perfect! I also got Disney’s Flowers and Trees, silly symphony. (yet to view). It was really good fun and great interlude from the films being shown.

Further for the DVD enthusiasts, there were two main tables, selling hard to find DVD’s Old Mother Riley collections, see photos, and many old films that are hard to find, including a full TV series of Harry Worth. (Window leg lifting and all)

There were tables full of odds and ends; one table had boxes full of lenses from so many makes of projectors, again see photos. A range of projectors from 9.5, 16mm and of course super 8 and standard 8.

The actress Valerie Leon and Caroline Munroe were signing autographs and telling about there times in the movies.

If I was going to criticise anything it would be that the cinema was not as spectacular as the BFCC, and the blackout was not 100% effective, but I know they did there best.

All in all, a real SUPER 8 visit, and would I do it again? Yes I would. But it’s not cheap if coming from a distance £150 not including the £65 pair of boots her indoors made me buy her and of course the meals. But it was really worth it. When I go again I will be booking up the meal and staying an extra night. So, hopefully, maybe next year I’ll get again.

Next The Derann open day.

Another view of the Derann table...
 -

shot across the room...
 -

Interesting table...
 -

-

Its that Derann again...
 -

My favorite table..
 -

Sorry about the quality, am not a photographer and never will be. More to come still, and photos i have mentioned in my write up, sorry they are ready to put on as soon as someone makes a post.

Just to add, it was surprising that no one seems to know about the 8mm forum. apart from Mark Williams a member and his friend Doug? that i met at the bar, not that i went there often you know. ;O)

SORRY, LINK BELOW REPAIRED!
Movie link...

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k22/stiggpots/Blackpool%20Convention%202008/?action=view¤t=MOV03863.flv
Chris.

[ November 19, 2008, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Christopher P Quinn ]

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 16, 2008 07:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All those lovely films, and no OSI about!

Did you buy any tasty celluloid tidbits, and if so, what?

(Yeah, I know, I'm nosey!)

OOPS! Sorry I didn't read far enough, got caught up in the pictures! Thanks for posting them!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2008 07:56 PM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi,
No, i didn't much as on a budget and so just enjoyed the day. 3 cheap films that i wanted, although i could have bought loads, felt a bit mift about it, but it was great just to be there.

Anyway, now i can upload more photos.

Ye Old 16mm Shop...
 -

More goings on...
 -

Cinema number 2, getting ready for the blu ray demo.
 -

A bucket full of lenses...
 -

Looks like it needs investigating...
 -

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 16, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris thanks for all of these. Great to get a feel of the Day. I did`nt go but a friend of mine did and got me a nice small film from Derann so looking forward to that.
Hoping to go next year, MOT + fixings etc Tuesday so had to miss this one sadly.
Best Mark.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all that Chris has said above. Great day out, cracking weather Grommitt, for November that is.

The auction was the quickest I've ever seen (only TWO 16mm films for sale) but I'm not complaining, as I picked up a "mint" copy of "Hawk the Slayer" for a good price. Had a chat with Barry Attwood - nice to see him getting "back to normal" after his recent sad event.

One dissappointment was that not all dealers are that, in the true sense of the word. As we all know, there are some unscrupulous dealers. There was one who had a Super 8 feature Scope print of "Carousel" for sale. When I arrived, at 10.15 I asked the price and was told £120.00. By 11.30 it had gone up to £160.00 (The reason - because Derann would sell it for TWICE that! - What has that to do with the price of fish, I'll never know?).

Needless to say, it was still for sale at 3.00pm when we left. The same dealer also purchased an optical print of "Force 10 From Navarone" from the "Bring and Buy", for £20.00. It was marked up by the "Bring and Buy" seller as having "fade and light lines".

Guess what? When it appeared on the dealers stall, it was in "excellent condition" and priced at £50.00. There it sat, alongside the print of "Carousel". [Mad]

Apart from that, I did pick up a few bargains from the lads at Derann, so I'm not complaining.

Bob Nichols did a good job with the cinema shows and he did his best to "prolong" the auction, due to lack of films to sell.

Once again, another great success for Derann. Well done lads (and lassies).

Looking forward to next year already, and to Deranns Christmas Open Day on the 7th December. [Smile]

P.S Great photos Chris - I took my camera, but in the haste of leaving home, I forgot the Memory Card!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great time too on my first visit and still am! Posting this on laptop in the Savoy, waiting to check out. I bought a episode of Star Trek and a Tom and Jerry I didn't have (super 8) at the auction. Met loads of great people and shot an awful lot of 3D footage of both Blackpool and the convention itself, which will be included in the new 3D show at the next BFCC. It was a pity about the film show, but the hotel had insisted on leaving 'safety' lights on, which caused 2 3rds of the screen to be lighter than the rest. Bob was upset about that, but there was nothing he could do. Looking forward to Ealing already and I hope I can make it to Blackpool again next year. Now to get that train...

Best wishes,

Tiv

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 17, 2008 03:38 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher,

Whose table was that in "Ye Old 16mm Shop" photo?

-Mike

Christopher P Quinn
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 05:15 AM      Profile for Christopher P Quinn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Michael, Ye old shop owner was Strangely mising when i took the shot., maybe Paul or Keith might know.

More pics?

Valerie Leon chatting to a fan
 -

Hard to find DVD's 1st table
 -

I got this ;0)...
 -

From here...
 -

Nice ceiling...
 -

Cinema room 1...

-

--------------------
Chris Quinn Rides again.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 05:19 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I think that "Ye Old 16mm Shop" belonged to Tony Hutchinson. If that is incorrect I'll stand corrected.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 17, 2008 05:40 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I wondered if it was though there appeared to be more film there than Tony usually has at Ealing.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 05:48 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I'm not sure, but I think that the bulk of the films on the right hand side of the photo belonged to the adjacent stall to Tony's. I've no idea who that stallholder was though - sorry.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 17, 2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting all those great pics Chris. I must say the Savoy Hotel looks really nice, as does Valerie Leon! Was Caroline Monroe there as well?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 03:39 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,

Just back from Blackpool,I had a really great time and surprise surprise nothing has really changed apart from the lack of super 8mm movies availiable but I still managed to pick up an ultra rare Iver 4 x 400ft test print of CARRY ON EMANUELLE from Derann,cheers Gary( I never knew that was ever released!!!) and a great 400ft of REBEL ROUSERS starring a very very young Jack Nicholson,love the great artwork,will post a cover shot later if anyone is interested.

Also in the auction I picked up a 400ft on the making of THE DEVILS released by Thunderbird Films which was top of my wants list for a bargain price of £11 so I was well pleased,now I have only ever seen that one about when a fellow collector showed it to me in the late 70's and he would not part with it.

The auction was great and the auctioneer Bob NicholI's was a delight making the most of a very low number of 8mm and 16mm films for auction.

I enjoyed the film shows too,but only managed to catch part of most of the shows which was a real shame.

It was great to finally meet Chris Quinn too,had a great chat at the bar over a pint or two.

I will upload a few pictures from the day later tonight.

Cheers MW

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 03:46 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith I also questioned the same seller about the "Force 10" as I had had a good look at it when it was on the bring and buy stall. The "A little Fade" and "A few Lines" should have said "Pink" and "Battered" anyway the seller insisted the print was one from his own stock (at that point a very strong odour could be smelled around the room, normally smelled in the toilet) the price at the time was £35.00, he tried selling it to me for £25.00, I just smiled to myself and thought if I wanted it I could have had it for £20.00 that same morning. Needless to say, that dealer saw none of my hard earned cash.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del, I think the words you were looking for are "Bovine Manure!".

In fairness, the print of "Carousel" was in "excellent" condition, but to increase the price by £40.00 in the space of an hour was a bit much. It's a pity that some "dealers" do not grasp the concept of Film Conventions - collectors attend them in order to find a bargain - most will come away more than happy with their "finds" and the odd few will come away feeling ecstatic.

You expect the prices to come down, not go up!

These "hope to get rich quick merchants" who pray on the "unitiated collector" should be ashamed of themselves. As I said, my intention on going back to the stall, at 11.30 was to make an offer of £100.00 for "Carousel" but when I saw the "Price Increase" and listened to the lame excuse, for that increase, I went across to Deranns stall and got an absolute mint copy of "Calamity Jane" for £80.00 instead! His loss and my (and Deranns) gain.

At least you know, when buying from Derann, that you have a "guarantee", if there are any problems.

If there is any justice, he will have those films forever, unless of course some pure "innocent" was "conned" into buying them.

Apart from this one "person" I found the other dealers very approachable and friendly, which is what you expect at these events.

Keep them coming Adrian!!

--------------------

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Caroline Munro was indeed there and here she is in 3D (red eye left)...

-

Best wishes,

Tiv

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 05:34 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, that's the one.
I think over the years certain dealers let themselves down by their honesty (I'm being polite). But then moan when they aren't selling much, I'm in the retail trade myself and honesty towards customers is something I ALWAYS insist on, as I want repeat custom. As super 8mm went Derann took some beating but was impressed with Classic too, I will return to their stall next year, Del.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few pictures as promised...

http://s492.photobucket.com/albums/rr281/django1963/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 18, 2008 12:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, do you own a 3D camera?

If so, totally freaking awesome!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 18, 2008 01:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Paul is Mr. 3D!

Chris and Mark,

Thanks for the pics. Just sensational!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted November 18, 2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a great time as always and it was nice to meet some Forum members making their first trip, as well as the regulars. The Saturday evening dinner privided the usual good-humoured start with abundant food and entertainment. I was sorry to not see Anne Simmonds but hopefully she was enjoying a well-deserved break in a warmer climate. I'd seen Caroline Munro and Valerie Leon at various horror/fantasy events over the years, but they are always perfect guests, entering into the spirit of the occasion as well as providing facinating stories and answers to questions. The dinner was a sell-out with several collectors unable to get tickets (maybe we need a bigger room?) and the numbers also looked impressive on Sunday.

Surprisingly, I only found one Super 8 and one 16mm film I wanted, but at least I was less weighed down than usual on the train home! The most notable item on the Bring and Buy must have been a near mint GS800 that looked a good buy for £200. Did anyone buy it? The auction was shorter than usual but nearly everything offered resulted in competitive bidding. Perhaps Derann could consider encouraging more contributions by eliminating the booking in fee and replacing it with a 10% commission on everything sold?

I think the stall with the 16mm features to the right of Tony Hutchinson's was David Guest's?

As for the dubious character who inflated the price and quality of the film bought on the Bring and Buy, is there any reason to not name him here, so that we can be warned in future?

I'll offer - at Adrian's suggestion in the other thread - a couple of constructive criticisms:
a) The light on the screen due to ludicrous health and safety measures was a pain. No fault of Derann's of course, but I hope some masking can be stuck on the ceiling in-between the most offending light and the screen to minimise the problem next year.
b) Part of the fun at Blackpool has always been to see new releases 'premiered', so I hope Derann/Classic can time at least one each next year, to coincide with the event. It must be good for business as well. I was disappointed that there wasn't even a 'recent releases' show, as I may well have bought one or two of the latest cartoons/advert reels if I'd had the chance to see them.

Overall, it was a memorable and friendly weekend and many thanks to the Derann staff for being so accommodating and eager to ensure that everyone went home happy. Blackpool continues to combine the appeal of a film collecting convention with a memorabilia/celebrity event, and in a setting that offers those of us staying two or three nights a relaxing holiday in the company of fellow enthusiasts. It's unique, and wherever you are in the world, you are likely to find it a pleasure to be there.

[ November 18, 2008, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2008 03:03 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian -
quote:
As for the dubious character who inflated the price and quality of the film bought on the Bring and Buy, is there any reason to not name him here, so that we can be warned in future?

I'm sorry but I don't know his name. All I know is, that he is a "regular" dealer at the event (he was definately there last year) and occupied the same table position.

It's a shame really because he seemed, in the first instance a nice guy, until the "Great God Greed" manifested himself in him!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC