8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dreamland, Margate, Kent

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dreamland, Margate, Kent
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 10, 2009 11:30 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many years, I have been working with some friends at trying to save Dreamland, the classic seafront amusement park in Margate, Kent, a great place featuring a listed 1920 wooden roller coaster and a 1930 cinema.

Things have been moving forward these past few months, I have been commuting quite a few times between France and the UK to monitor works being done by architects and business planners.

I'm pleased to announce that we are about to officially apply for some fundings and that we will unveil our plans this coming Sunday, March 15, at the West Coast Bar, in Margate. This is a casual/friendly gathering, open to all Margate residents and people who want to support our vision.

I know that fellow forum member Kevin Clark has been following our progress but if over members are in the area, feel free to join us.

All details can be found on the Save Dreamland web site.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2009 06:28 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,

Hey I'm not so far away either and would love to come to your event but unfortunately I'm working [Frown] It would have been good to see you and Kevin C too. Hope you have another event I can get along too as I'm just up the coast on the Isle of Sheppey (half of my life).

Since I bought my home on the coast I planned to take my nieces and nephews to Dreamland once I was settled but guess what... I bought the house and the amusment park caught fire!!

BTW This was nothing to do with me officer [Big Grin]

Good luck with the event,
Rick

[ March 13, 2009, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: Ricky Daniels ]

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 11, 2009 06:48 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ricky, thanks for the support, do not hesitate to sign up for the campaign on the Save Dreamland website.
Fingers crossed, we hope to reopen the park for the 2011 season.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 03:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A wonderful cause! Looks like it was (and is) a great place for the family.

Jean-Marc, do you have any other information on the theater, or better yet, vintage photos? No doubt it suffered a great deal in appearance by having it divided.

Details here:
http://cinematreasures.org/theater/15123/

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 12, 2009 07:54 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc,
Kudos to you for such a wonderful effort; it breaks my heart when such places are just allowed to vanish, so all the best with this 'salvation.'

If I could at all make it to England, I would have loved to attend, but reality says no. Where in the website is the sign-up list? I found a lot of info but no petition.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted March 13, 2009 02:03 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, unfortunately I don't have pics of the interior of the cinema. As you might imagine it is a poor shadow of its former self. We're planning to turn it into a multimedia theatre, for film projection, concerts, stage plays, etc. There's a large multiplex 20 minutes out of town centre so our only option to compete is to offer different types of shows. During the day, the cinema will be part of the park offer, with vintage films of the area, magic shows, perhaps 3D movies...

Claus, there's a big "Join us" button on the main page, but in case you missed it, here's the link.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC