8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dirty, dirty film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dirty, dirty film
Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 03:22 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago I did some film transfers for a video service guy. He normally does video tapes of weddings and such. He called me up and asked if I would clean some 8mm films for him so he could transfer those himself. I offered to GIVE him the cleaner, cloth, and instructions to do it himself. All I asked for in return was to bring back the un-used cleaner.

I'm not going to plug brand-X OR give away Film Guard that I paid for. I have some stuff that was given to me that smells like pinesol. The person soaked the film for several days, wiped it down, and then brought back the un-used portion. I meant for him to bring back what ever he didn't soak the film in, instead he poured back the portion of used stuff into my spare bottle and brought that back. [Confused] OHWELL...it was free to start with....

I would LOVE to have seen the films before he started. What I got back looks like a pint (a little less than) of coffee or maybe super strong tea! I have soaked several films before but I have NEVER seen this amount of dirt from anything. He ONLY soaked two 200' reels of 8mm film!

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 04:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it was PineSol and dissolved some of the emulsion.

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 04:21 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, it is a widely known film cleaner that smells like Pinesol. That, I'm sure of.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2009 11:18 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So maybe it wasn't PineSol but dissolved some of the emulsion anyway! [Wink]

Or maybe the films had a sound stripe before the cleaning, of which you are now the proud owner in liquid form!

Stewart John Boyle
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 10:22 AM      Profile for Stewart John Boyle   Email Stewart John Boyle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be tobacco staining?

--------------------
I`ve, seen things you people wouldn`t believe,

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:39 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it was 8mm, there was no sound stripes. I do know the person did transfer through a shadow box so the emulsion had to be there for a picture I would think...

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2009 12:43 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne,

My 8mm has sound stripes [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC