8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Groucho Moments"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Groucho Moments"
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 21, 2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to start a new series of posts entitled "Groucho Moments". I'm calling them that as Groucho could just spin off a brand new joke right off the top of his head at a moments notice. I do that a lot, and there was one such occasion today.

I and my wife were taking our morning "constitutional" ...

(discussing the bill of rights ... HAHA! Just thought of that!
Ehhh, after that one you might be wanting to declare a declaration of independence from even knowing me! Ba da Dump! Tsss!)

... a nice walk, and I have been having problems with my right wrist, and so I said ...

"I'm hoping that I'm not getting tendinitis ...

and I quickly quipped ...

"I wouldn't even want "ninedinitis"

My wife gave out a low groan, and I followed with ...

"Yeah, I know sweetie. I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole, but perhaps with a six foot swede!"

Ba da dump! Tsss!

Have a nice day, folks!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 21, 2010 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or are we funnier before the wedding?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted January 21, 2010 04:14 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't quit your day job, but wait! There is no day job. [Eek!]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 04:18 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do that too, maybe abit too much? (Everyone called me Chandler Bing throughout high school ^^)

I was talking to a friend there once, and we were discussing the US election (Obama/McCain) and while we were talking, some girl walked up to us, and asked what we were talking about.

"Were talking about Obama" we said, and she responded: "Oh, is that the place in Spain you visited."

A quick moments silence, and then I went "So her parents are siblings?"

Yeah, yeah, not the best, but the only one I could think of [Wink]

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2010 08:37 PM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do that a lot too.
Unfortunately they are (almost) all of the type where you play with words and their double meaning, so they don't translate at all. And those that are translatable, is so "non pc" that I would look as a really hard lined mysogynist and racist, among other things, if I related them, and anybody that really knows me can wouch that I am not.
If this sounds offensive, you should now that I subscribe to the belief that you CAN, and SHOULD, joke about absolutely everything. The best comics are those who stand by that rule.

However, I have always had a speciall fondness for Groucho, he was, and is, my favourite Marx brother. And when I found out that we acctually share the same birthday, I felt somewhat connected to him (I was around 9-10 at the time). We also share this birthday with Otto von Bismark, Mahatma Gandhi and Sting, to name but a few.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 22, 2010 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only off limits subjects for me are what are deemed, (as i call it) "Universally perverse".

Subjects such as sexual abuse of children, for instance.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2010 09:18 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi you are (naturally) absolutely right.
I usually say that no way how much a rule is set in stone there is always a exeption to that rule, and the example you mentioned is one of them.
And then there are some things you can't joke about now, but eventually. Like for example the current situation in Haiti, right now it is nothing to joke about, but in due time (six months, a year?) it can be joked about, as long as it is in a fun way and not detrimental.
At least that is how I see things.

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC