8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Projecting 35mm film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projecting 35mm film
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 07:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last week I thought I would give the old Ernemann 2 a run as its been a while since it was last used and considering the projector is from the 1920s and originally a silent machine its a real thrill to bring it back to life every so often.
 -

-
The old Zeiss Ikon sound head I was given last year from Pat I modified for cyan soundtracks. It took a lot of experimenting with the cell to get it right, likewise with the red LED I made a bracket for and fitted inside the sound drum. I am happy with the results and it seem to work fine, anyway here are a few screen shots from a 2000ft trailer and add reel I made up.
 -

-
a really nice Air New Zealand add.
 -
Ice Age2 trailer its brilliant it reminds me a little bit about real life.
 -
Guess...Who?
It really says a lot for German engineering, that this projector can still project a rock steady image and run so well after all those years.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 07:27 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful...

Bill [Smile]

David Erskine
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 07:34 PM      Profile for David Erskine   Email David Erskine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel humble! I've got a GB'N' - and I haven't run it yet! I'd be surprised if I got results as good as yours. Congratulations!
David E

--------------------
I've NEVER let failure go to MY head!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 30, 2010 08:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill and David

Here are a couple more photos taken that night you might be interested in.
 -
Just about to start.
 -
up and running.

Graham.

Damien Taylor
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 08:53 PM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice setup. I run a Philips/Norelco "portable" FP3. I've yet to convert to led but it's on the list. I don't have many cyan prints anyway, apart fom old ads from work.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2010 09:49 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh nice to see the old Ernemann machine running well!
I used to run this very machine along with it's mate back when it was installed in a commercial cinema, the machines were "retired" in 2000 and replaced with a pair of Westars.
I still know of a pair in use at a commercial cinema here complete with carbon arc lamps!
Graham's machine was installed brand new in the early 20s in the St James Theatre in a town called Gore, then in 1935 they were removed and installed in the Oxford Town Hall Theatre where they stayed until 2000.

Ernemann projectors are still made today, I believe they are up to the Ernemann 18 model now.

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 31, 2010 03:57 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnificent! German 35mm projectors rule! (this from a Kinoton user) [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Whittle
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2010 05:06 PM      Profile for John Whittle   Email John Whittle       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember an old story from a Theatre Supply Company guy. Back in the early 1950's they had sold new projectors to the Radio City Music Hall. The Super Simplexes (as I recall) were hauled out and replaced with E-7s (if that was the next model).

The original Super's were put on display at the store with a card that estolled the long service of the Simplex line and how many millions of feet of film that has passed through the gates of the machines.

He said, sadly, that they had to remove them from the showroom floor. Why? Because everyone that came in wanted to buy the used machines from RCMH and didn't want new machines.

That's the problem with stuff that doesn't wear out.

John

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 20, 2011 02:35 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And its still going folks

The good news is the cinema that fellow forum member owns and runs the "Regent" in Rangiora is back up and running and doing very well since the Sept shake.....Pat if you are reading this any chance of some photos.

Graham. [Smile]

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2011 04:56 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
Yes I would love to load up some photos of the theatre, I am unable to do so as I don't have a digital camera, so maybe you can come across and take some! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC