8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 8mm curling relaxing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8mm curling relaxing
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 01:19 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old 8mm home movie that has the dreaded VS it is interesting because its from the 40's and shows San Francisco and Joe DiMaggio’s restaurant in the Vegas I had luck projecting it last week and got it transferred to DVD but when I went to edit the DVD the player in which I recorded it on now says it cannot read it and to check the disc. I want to soak it so it can relax it enough to try it again I used film renew (is that Larry’s product?) is that the right juice for relaxing films of this nature?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 01:33 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could also try Liquid Film Plasticiser.
http://members.optushome.com.au/picturepalace/Vinegar%20Syndrome.html

I've had a couple of excellent results with relaxing warped prints.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 15, 2010 04:52 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
will it do anything to splices tape?

--------------------
jim schrader

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 05:09 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been mentioned that some have had to redo tape splices following it's use. I personally have had no such problem. I should point out that I've only used it on 16mm prints, by the way.

Email the guy who makes it. His name is Peter Goed and he's a collector himself. He'll answer any queries you may have.
He's very pleasant!!

[ March 16, 2010, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: Michael O'Regan ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 15, 2010 06:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,

Since you burn this to DVD and now the DVD cannot be read, don't you still have the original file stored in your computer? why don't you burn a new one?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2010 09:12 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LFP is the best bet for relaxing curling or warping.

An alternate method would be to use pure camphor. Pure camphor is cheaper, but seems to take much longer to get the same results. Living in a dry climate I use camphor with any film that starts to feel dry or brittle even before it shows signs of warp to ensure it will stay soft & pliable.

If your DVD won't read then I'd suspect you used a cheaper brand of blank media. Not all blank media is the same, & cheaper isn't always a deal. Some good research has been done on almost ALL brands of blank media at digital FAQ (dot) com It is worth the read especially in your case of transferring home movies with VS when you won't have many chances to get it right.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2010 05:36 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing is I used my dvd recorder while tranfering it sort of live so I didnot use my computer to make the disc Wayne thanks for the info I will look into that site. Might have to start over [Mad]

--------------------
jim schrader

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2010 05:44 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a cheap DVD recorder that I used to convert a bunch of videotapes. Alas, when I played them back on a different machine they skipped all over the place. I discovered that the Video_TS files were fine and I was able to copy them onto my computer and reburn them. Will your computer read the disc or at least make it show up on the desktop?

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2010 08:50 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have long since erased the dvd and will try again later this summer i have the film in a can soaking up vitafilm for 90 days thanks

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC