8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Warton R.I.P.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warton R.I.P.
Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2010 01:40 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard most sad news that Warton Parfitt has passed away..He was very important to me, and someone I considered a very good friend...It is so sad that after last weekend being such a "9.5mm" weekend to hear that he is now gone since he was one of my favorites in the 9.5 circles, and a constant source of parts/pieces....I want to reprint something from the March 2004 issue of FLICKERS by Bob Andrews where he takes a humorous look at Warton, and makes me smile in this time of sadness.
=++++++++
An imaginary discussion---

Customer: Good Morning, Mr. Parfitt. Are you interested in buying, selling, or exchanging?

Warton: Depends What you've got?

Customer: I've got a very fine standard 8 projector in a leather case, a dozen genuine Kodagraph films, some tinted and all in their original boxes. Also three spare lamps and an instruction book. Are you interested in an exchange or a cash purchase?

Warton: Standard 8? It's finished! I've already got more stuff than I know what to do with.

Customer: I've got a beautiful screen, eight foot by six. I understand they are in demand by builders of home cinemas.

Warton: That may be so. But I've got a whole roomful of them. Can't give them away.

Customer: Well, how about a mint condition standard 8 print of the 1925 silent film LOST WORLD, a Kodak amber print in five reels starring Wallace Beery and Bessie Love. Must surely be collectible?

Warton: Collectable maybe, but no one would buy it. Standard 8 again!

Customer: I've a 16mm sound projector, both optical and magnetic sound, made by B & H, one of the best of its day. There's a colour feature with it, "BEN HUR" with someone called Charlton Heston. I'll let you have the film for nothing if you buy the projector.

Warton: I've a dozen of them already. Nobody wants these things now, they're all into video.

Customer: How about a 9.5mm editor, 900ft arms, on a mahogany base, absolutely mint. A motor attachment as well.

Warton: I'll take a chance on that one. I'm willing to make a level exchange. I'll give you reel 2 of the famous Pathescope film "Here comes the zoo," slightly scratched with a few torn sprockets and no main title, if you can track down reel 1 you'll have a collector's item!

Customer: How about a Pathescope Ace projector, motorized, super attachment, case, three spare lamps, absolutely mint?

Warton: Got three of them already!

Customer (somewhat exasperated): How about a 200B converted to QI lighting, case, unbroken lamphouse top and base. I'd say its mint condition.

Warton: I don't really want it, I've got two already which I can't sell. But I'm willing to exchange it for a rare Chaplin called "Easy Street", great for children's parties. Some scratches and perf damage, but repairable.

Customer (slightly encouraged): I know where to lay my hands on a 17.5mm sound film starring Gracie Fields I believe. In original boxes and shown only once. That interest you?

Warton: If you had a projector to go with it I'd offer you 5 pounds, cash, subject to inspection of course. I couldn't buy the film by itself, I'd be stuck with it.

Customer (almost in despair): I've discovered among my father's effects in the attic 9.5 optical sound film, one of the last issued by Pathescope. It's called "Doomed Caravan" and I understand only three prints of it were ever made, so it must be considered rare. I think my father showed the film twice.

Warton:Never heard of the film myself. I've never had a collector ask me for it. But I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll take a chance and give you a two-reel notched Pathescope silent film mounted on 2 genuine Pathe spools and in tin cans. It's a western of some sort, some scratches and no main title but runable.

Customer: Are you interested in vintage 35mm toy projectors? This one was made in Germany around 1910. It's in its original box with some films and works perfectly. Seems to have the name Plank stamped on it.

Warton: Well, I'm not really interested but I'll take it off your hands I'll make you an offer. I have a Pathescope Imp projector with super attachments-- one of them is broken-- electric motor believed to be in working order-- and mains resistance. Not usable as it needs rewiring. Not too much rust on the whole thing, and Pathescope motif still has traces of chrome on it. Ideal for restoration or spares!

Customer: Thank you Mr. Parfitt for your kind and generous offers. I will go away and think about them.

Warton: You're welcome. Anything else of value?

Customer: Well, I don't suppose for a moment you'll be interested but here's what I found in the loft while searching for other stuff. I found it immersed in the water tank where it had laid submerged for some years. It is stamped "Pathe Baby" and has super arms and motor. The whole thing is rusted solid and not one of its components will move. Believe it or not it still has its original lamp, immovable of course because of the rust. I'm going to throw it into a skip.

Warton (with great emotion): No, whatever you do, don't do that! I've only got 120 GBP on me but I'll give you that and more later. Choose anything you want from my stock as well, but let me buy that machine from you. Don't throw it away!

Customer (by now completely bewildered): Don't upset yourself Mr. Parfitt, you shall have the Pathe Baby!

with that, the customer left Warton's stall shaking his head in disbelief.

+ + +++++++++++
I will miss you Warton....we will all miss you.....

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

|  IP: Logged

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2010 08:29 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Warton was not only a dealer I frequented, but a friend. I used to get up at 4am, in order to get to this house by 7am, to assist him at Ealing or Tadley cine fairs. What everyone remembers was that they always received a solid and good deal. If you weren't satisfied (very rarely, such was the honesty of Warton) then he'd sort it out. This is a testament to his character. I will miss the excitement logging onto his website to find he'd updated his list! Was that long searched for item going to be there? Probably, yes! Farewell...you will never be forgotten in our cine world.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC