8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Kodacroak (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Kodacroak
Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2010 09:35 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a NY Times article (Front page!) about Dwayne's Photo and the end of Kodachrome. That's some story about the railroad worker from Arkansas who had 1,580 rolls to develop!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very moving piece.

The amazing legacy of that film will never be forgotten, no matter how advanced digital gets. The sheer beauty of the images will see to that.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 11:32 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug

What a terrific story!

Pat

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 12:04 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doug,

Only a copy from the other thread in this forum. I want to show how beautiful is Kodachrome.

This link is a Kodachrome movie from.... the VJ day in Hawaii which is of course taken place in 1945.....or 65 years ago:

http://www.vimeo.com/5645171

still image:

-

Ok.....this film is 16mm, so much sharper.... but when you shoot super 8mm Kodachrome with better camera and good transfer, you will see this result:

http://vimeo.com/1644000

-

That was shot in 1975.... or 35 years ago.

For a contemporary shooting, the Kodachrome will also create a good image, and this below link show a video clip that was done professionally (added with music):

http://vimeo.com/2660646

-

Below is someone comparing his old reel (1970s) and new reel (2007) by making almost the same scenes.

-

The baby in the left picture is now a Mommy who is carrying a baby on the right picture.

The original movie is here:

http://vimeo.com/5469600

To sum up, you can see how beautiful is Kodachrome, even compare to that new stock (E64T) on the right, Kodachrome is still better.

Now it only Paul Simon' song is heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLsDxvAErTU

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, Oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

-

Good bye Kodachrome........

cheers,

winbert

[ December 30, 2010, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 12:28 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a great article. What a shame.

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 12:30 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I came to Kodachrome late on via Agfa Moviechrome (yuck).

For all Kodak's follies - Disk film, APS among others - they got one product right, and in spectacular style, Kodachrome II.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 12:31 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link to that article Doug.
What a sad day this is! The end of an American Icon. I have hundreds of feet of regular 8mm Kodachrome shot back in the 1950's that look just like they just came back from processing. There never has been, and never will be, another film like Kodachrome. Its beauty is unequalled, and its colors never fade. It was the best film in the world, and somehow it represented the best of America as well. I like the statement made in the CBS news link " Its hard to imagine how the world will be a better place without Kodachrome"

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 12:34 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice catch, Douglas. I just found the same article posted at MSNBC (where there are actually fewer pictures) and you beat me to posting!

Winbert, great screen shots. Thanks for a sweet tribute.

My final two rolls of Super 8 Kodachrome arrived at Dwayne's this morning (UPS tracking is great), my contribution to the final day. I honestly think they're deluged, so I hope they don't run out of dye before my rolls get dunked!

RIP Kodachrome
1935-December 30, 2010
It will be sorely missed!

[ December 30, 2010, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: Bill Brandenstein ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 30, 2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess is Dwayne's is packed to the rafters with film right now, maybe more than they expected.

Some of it is mine (Four S8 K-40s delivered yesterday 10:00AM by Fed Ex).

I hope if it comes to it Kodak will supply them enough chemicals to finish the job.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 02:54 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lets give the new stuff(E64T) 50 yrs and see how it holds up we might be surprised.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 04:12 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well actually Jim the only E64T left would be what's in people's freezers or closets, because the sole Kodak color reversal film in Super 8 is E100D.

Still, the Ektachrome slides in relative's collections still hold up well after 50+ years, so with proper storage, we might be very pleased with the longevity.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 05:57 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The story made national news! It was just on NBC nightly news .

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 06:19 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been transferring films for over 25 years. Some years ago, an elderly gentleman brought me his 16mm home movies to transfer. They were of stunning quality, better than 99% of the stuff I get. Almost all were shot from a tripod, properly exposed, with slow, smooth pans. My favorite Kodachrome is the stock from the 1950s. It was very slow and contrasty but had a wonderful surreal look when properly exposed. One of man's clips I have on YouTube. It is from Christmas 1952 and has that wonderful Kodachrome look.

YouTube

[ December 30, 2010, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: John Hermes ]

--------------------
John Hermes

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 30, 2010 08:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most amazing fact about Kodachrome is, to me, that it was invented by two musicians in a bath tub! Hard to believe, but true.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to see it go....I found myself with 12 rolls of regular 8, 8 50' carts and 2 200' carts of super 8 to shoot this past year. I had been saving it for the "right" time and the processing deadline meant now or never.

So, I was able to chronicle my son's adventures with his '85 Supra (swapping engines, racing at Autocross, etc.) and capture some family moments.

I have left 2 reg 8's, 1 super 8 50'er and 1 of the 200' carts because my only camera that takes the big cartridge jammed and broke [Frown] so I put those back in the frig for now. But I do have alot of Kodachrome moments from 2010 my son will look back on and enjoy.

I have 4 rolls at Dwayne's now part of the last batch. The last thing I shot was an image of the bright yellow boxes, all the different ones (I save them!) with the white lettered title...

the end

Bill

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 31, 2010 02:52 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a Double Super 8 Camera the most gorgeous footage I ever shot was with Kodachrome 25. It was simply stunning. I got one more roll and that was it. They discontinued the 25.
But I still have many footage of K40 shot in the 80's that still looks beautiful. And the slide film was gorgeous as well.
I hated the 64t- really like the 100D-really really like the Fuji Velvia...but the Kodachrome was the best.
Sigh. Grabs tissue.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2010 03:29 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve McCurry, the professional photographer who was given the last roll of Kodachrome that Kodak manufactured, has a great blog post here that includes some of the images shot with that final roll.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 04, 2011 09:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Terrific stuff! Thanks for that link.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2011 12:16 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CBS news on the last Kodachrome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPvF1MOU2kE&feature=player_embedded

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Strange...

So many people have stories involving what it took to get their film to Parsons before the door slammed shut...

(Mine's a doozy...there's a blizzard in the middle of it!)

-yet I haven't heard a thing back from them almost a week later. (Doubly impressive since I paid with PayPal and they have to invoice me to get paid.)

Anyone?...Anyone?

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2011 04:31 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is worth the price of admission just for the links in it (thanks Winbert, I'd heard about it but hadn't seen it).

Steve and others who are, like me, waiting for film: be patient. I sent an inquiry and just received the following reply:
quote:
Yes, we are 'stacked to the rafters' with last minute orders. [Wink] We are presently still entering orders received on the 30th. In lab time right now will be around 2 weeks. We are sorry for the delay, but we are working diligently and many extra hours to enter the orders and get them into processing and packaged and shipped as soon as possible. We hope to return to our standard processing times for all the other films we process in a few weeks.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 04, 2011 05:27 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is exactly what I wrote in this forum and the other forum that Kodachrome lab will still in br operating within 2 weeks after Dec 30th to allow those third party labs 9such as [pro8mm, spectra) to deliver their cartridges.

What is my question now what will be the future of Dwayne after this Kodachrome era. I know that Dwayne is not closing, but honestly many of us sending films to Dwayne because we also send Kodachrome at the same envelope.

Now, with Ektachrome left which requires E6 process, many labs are available locally. Also in Canada. Do I need to send my carts to USA which it will take more time and more money (because of shipping v.v)?.

On the other hand some reviews say that Dwayne E6 quality is not better from the other labs (even less).

Let us wait.

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 04, 2011 06:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill,

That's good enough for me!

Waiting two weeks for cartridges that lived in the fridge for four years seems more than reasonable.

I've been very pleased with the service I've gotten from Dwayne's for both K-40 and 64T. I think I'll stay with them.

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, you're welcome.

Winbert, with all due respect, I think you should take the cutoff date at face value. With the exception of WalMart, I've never heard of any third parties using Dwayne's, and certainly not Spectra or Pro8mm who've never offered Kodachrome or processing of it, and directly compete with Dwayne's on E-6 products.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 05, 2011 08:43 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I spoke with pro8mm last December and here is my conversation with Scott at pro8mm. (email is deliberately hidden):

quote:
To: winbert@xxxx.com
Subject: Re: Kodachrome super8mm film process at pro8mm
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:24:07 -0800

Yes, Dwaynes is the only lab that processes Kodachrome in the US. We have a slight grace period with them, but you'll want to get the film in by the 31st.
If youre thinking youre not going to be able to shoot the film before the deadline, I would recommend putting the film up on ebay. You could actually probably make some money off it as everyone loved kodachrome and with it basically dying off, would probably be willing to pay top dollar for it.

Thank you for your interest in Pro8mm

Sincerely,
Scott Sawyer
Project Coordinator
818-848-5522

So pro8mm would take Kodachrome and forwarded to Dwayne as Scott's explanation. Still pro8mm set up the dateline at Dec 31, 2010 when Dwayne has closed the reception.

quote:
I've never heard of any third parties using Dwayne's, and certainly not Spectra or Pro8mm who've never offered Kodachrome or processing of it
In fact pro8mm (under the old name, super8sound) sold Kodachrome with process paid (for US market) with their sticker as proof of payment. Here is the example:

-

Steve, I understand your situation because you live in the States. However, I believe there are more 8mm users in Europe and Japan who will now think twice sending film overseas while E6 is available locally (even DIY with good result).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC