8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Homemade Screen Project Done

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Homemade Screen Project Done
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 10:05 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I got my ST-1200 back to life about 5 years ago, I have wanted a real screen again.
I have been lucky that my little apartment has a nice-sized end wall to roll my 8 and 16mm films on, but the notion of "sacriledge" kept raising its voice when I ran the films; something had to be done [Big Grin]

With that in mind, enter an old 'find' of mine.
20-some years ago I worked as an A/V technician, and one of the little perks of the job was when the company did inventory. Any 'odd' or misplaced items basically got thrown out. As in: you could take them home.
I wound up with a Da-Lite 9.5-by-12ft. screen surface which got put away for....well, future use of some kind (I tend to do that...)

It sat in an old road case with rotting foam, in my mother's (humid) basement all this time. I pulled it out. It was badly packed. Wrinkled. A bit dirty. But it was in one piece, and, miraculously, all the serious dirt was on the backside. I decided to give it a shot.

To start, some vacuuming and a bit of Windex:

-

For the frame, after measuring, I went to my local wonderful hardware store. They cut pine wood for me (one-by-three is what the frame is made of) with a slimmer piece for the center support.
Here's the left leg with the half-frame:

-

I am by no means a "natural-born carpenter", but I can drive screws in with a power gun, so with angle braces, this is how the frame came together:

-

Doing this alone in a small space meant that the best way was to build the frame in two halves, put the halves against the wall and then join them in the middle:

-

The fabric was "fun".
Even after I had turned it on its end (the 9.5ft side) and roughly cut it down to size, holding it in place without getting tears in it and using an industrial staple gun to fasten it to the frame was...work. But up it went.

Then followed 3 days of letting the fabric stretch and get comfy, with removal of staples, tightening the fabric, and re-stapeling. My humidifier helped on the more stubborn wrinkles:

-

Since only two sides of the fabric had the original re-inforced edges after I cut it, I put Gaffer tape around the edges to prevent the staples from tearing the material. Finally, I also put more tape for an even masking of the frame:

-

The width is 9ft; the height is 5-3/4ft which comes to an aspect ratio of 1:1.56. I didn't go for a set aspect ratio, rather I wanted as big an "academy" frame as I could get, and also a nice wide surface for 'scope.

Sound is the next consideration; I have a smaller set of speakers I intend to place permanently by the screen, with an amp over by my stereo where the projectors sit when in use.

All told (because I had the screen fabric) I spent about $70 in materials and wood cutting to build this. I could have gotten a Da-Lite frame kit with fabric, but that would be a somewhat different price range.

I am happy with the results of trying this.

-

Claus.

[ February 12, 2011, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Claus Harding ]

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted February 11, 2011 10:53 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
geez the black tape gives the finished look...I build my screen several years ago, have taken it down 4 times in moves, and I still haven't got around to masking off the edges. [Frown]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted February 12, 2011 04:15 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kudos. I see that you indeed kept my own building project in Provence in the back of your mind. Remember this conversation we had two years ago ? And your selection of film is excellent. "Tall blonde man with one black shoe" is a classic.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 12, 2011 08:36 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus

Excellent job! Thanks ofr posting it here. I love to read story's like this.

Pat DAlessio

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 12, 2011 09:39 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,

Huzzah! Nice job, great post. I've been saving up that "huzzah" for some time now.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2011 10:31 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, guys.

A 'Huzzah" no less, my my.

Jean-Marc, no, I didn't forget; I don't have the surroundings you do, but at least now I have a decent screen [Big Grin]

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2011 05:52 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job Claus. I finally masked my screen last year and it really does make a difference with the brightness of the image and the nice crisp edges. I bet you will be pulling out some titles just to see how they look on the new screen.

I wrote an article in the Reel Image magazine a couple issues ago about my own curved scope screen project. It is still half done! Reading about your project makes me want to finish it.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Bill [Smile]

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice, Claus! So, does anyone have a rolled up screen they'd like to part with? I want to build a larger one for screenings where I can use it inside as well as out.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2011 03:23 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus, really nice work. You could go farther someday and get some deep black fabric.....and a bit more of that black gaffer tape....and actually run it across the screen and tape it for a quick, temporary scope masking along the bottom ...using existing masking you have on top. ...but wow..what a nice job you did on that. You'll have everybody wanting you to come and help build THEIR screen.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 16, 2011 11:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice.

As a general FYI to anyone looking for a screen no taller than 5 foot or wider than 12 foot, bright white "formica" kitchen countertop can be purchased fairly cheap. Back when I was in college it was standard practice for my setups to use a frame very similar to what Claus built and also mask off the edges with gaffer's tape. The results from the formica were incredible, even when sitting off to the side. It also made a perfect scope image.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 17, 2011 10:21 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bright white "formica" kitchen countertop can be purchased fairly cheap
Brad, doesn't "Formica" have glossy surface that can reflect the light of the projector?

--------------------
Winbert

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted February 18, 2011 12:14 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes and no. It does reflect quite well, but it doesn't act as a high gain screen. You can sit off-axis and get a nice picture.

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2011 01:00 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. I am in need of something for a scope image.... this sounds like a nice quick fix.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC