8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Suggestions folks ...?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Suggestions folks ...?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 13, 2011 10:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was exactly two months as of yesterday in my wait for my packages from South Africa.

Granted, John sent them by slow boat mail, and that is the lowest priority and i understand that, but it seems that it might be getting a tad worrysome now.

I recieved the toll free number for customs and, when punching the option concerning overdue packages it stated that they cannot help me, as thousands of packages go through everyday ... so your screwed hahahahaha! (well, that last part wasn't part of the message, but it is funny! [Smile] )

John is heading to his SAPO to check if he can do some kind f trace on his end. (... and why would he trace a number on his end? Yeah, I know, more bad humor!)

The problem with overseas tracing is that, whether fast or slow delivery, as a general rule, the shipping number works as far as the package leaving the country of origin, but US post rarely continues the overseas tracking number, so you have no idea as to where it is. It could just be sitting in a massive pile waiting for someone who has time.

Actually, one was mailed off Feb. 12th and the other Feb. 26th, so I know from the tracking that they were in fact shipped.

It's just where could it be now.

Any suggestions folks?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2011 10:54 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, as soon as you put it out of your mind, it will show up. [Wink]

I have shipped a lot of film out of the U.S. the last few months and a month to month and a half transit time has happened a few times to me on first class postage. They all showed up.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 13, 2011 01:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I agree with Wayne. It's recently taken over two months for packages from England and Germany to make their way to me.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 13, 2011 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh, I feel calm returning!

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted April 13, 2011 06:13 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you think someone might have stolen them?

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 14, 2011 07:15 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a seller you know personally?
Do you have proof that he actually shipped the items?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2011 10:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan ... no , I don't think they were stolen. However, being lost in transit is always a possibility.

However, as Doug said, he has been waiting for over two months for a few recently, so this may be an incredibly bad situation with "slow mail" these days.

Micheal ... Yes, I was able to track both packages to the international hub, but beyond there, nothing. The funny thing is, it only took three or four days to get to that hub. Now, it doesn't say when they actually left the hub, (I'll have to look at that again, it might say but I think I may havwe forgotten).

and I already have recieved one film from John "Vera Cruz" and that one he sent by the fast mail, but even that took three and half weeks, (where express mail from the UK would take one week tops, as in Derann for instance).

So, yes, I know John is reliable.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 14, 2011 12:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like you have no other choice than to wait it out.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2011 01:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup Micheal ...

One package means more to me than the other, as I traded for those films with a few of my archival prints.

Sadly, the US does not have "slow boat" shipping anymore, so the lowest shipping I could find was 45.00 dollars to South Africa and sure enough it took a mere week and a half.

However, to use the same kind of shipping from South Africa to here, it would cost John the equivilance of 80.00 U.S. dollars and that just seems way too high for the same service from there to here.

Boy, and I thought we U.S. folks were gouged on our shipping overseas. I'm beginning to think that we have it pretty darned good.

By the way, does anyone know which country has the most affordable overseas shipping? Just curious.

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 14, 2011 02:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, does anyone know which country has the most affordable overseas shipping? Just curious.

A: USA by the USPS.

You can't beat the USPS price especially international flat rate box. No matter you are sending to South Africa, Indonesia, Zambia, Canada, Mexico, Zimbabwe and....Rajatea (I don't know where is it...but in the middle of Ocean), it will cost the same $13.95 (to max 4 pounds).

I have tried the envelope can fit 3 * 400' or 6 * 200' and still the weigh is less than 4 pounds.

If I send 2 pounds parcel from Toronto to Iqaluit, Nunavut ( a province in northern Canada) via Canada Post it will cost $25.35 by the slow mail.

People in the US can send the same item to the same address above for $13,95 with USPS flat rate !! Funny ha !!

The strangest one, I can send the very item to US (by the slow mail) and then my friend in the USA forward it back to Nunuvut, Canada.

And.......the total cost still below what Canada Post will charge.....Hahahha... [Big Grin]

I have once made a calculation here that if you send from non-US land to obscure countries in Africa, it is better to re-route through USPS because it will be still cheaper overall..!!!

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 15, 2011 12:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX Winbert ... and all others. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC