8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Dubious ebay ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dubious ebay ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 24, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, do they make it harder than hell just to e-mail them with a question. They throw up tons of unrelated answers to questions but if you want an old fashioned e-mail address to write them, well, I just can't find it.

I'm trying to find out how I recieved the "dubious honor" of ebay holding each and every payment that I have well earned until the packages are delivered. My wife and I have never failed to mail out each and every package within the two days we always say with our auctions, so how did we get that "honor"?

The only thing that would seem to make sense is when we sold that "STAR WARS" super 8 print, the fellow came right to our house, clicked "buy it now" on his cell phone and took it home that very day. ne need for shipping. If that is the reason why, and they suspect us of not shipping an item, why in the hell didn't they just contact us and ask if we had shipped it already?

We're really puzzled by it. Are there any comporable selling internet sites out there, as were pretty much fed up with this stupidity.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted February 24, 2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely, it's paypal that are holding your payments and not ebay??
What's your ebay seller name?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 24, 2012 01:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just ran into a new one:

I bought a film using "Buy it Now" and was notified that until I pay for it it will be left available for someone else to grab!

(Done!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 24, 2012 04:46 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, are you sure you hit "buy it now" and not "add to cart"? If you add something to your cart on items that offer that button someone else can get it first.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 24, 2012 08:58 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not 100% sure, but close!

I buy from this seller fairly often, let's see what happens the next time.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted February 24, 2012 09:38 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OZ

That's a new paypal policy. They hold it for 21 days, or until the item is received or fb is left. That's so if there is a problem they won't have to use their money under the buyer protection program.

PatD

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 26, 2012 07:37 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The buy it now had a "Immediate Payment" needed option that the seller put on there. This was when you wanted to get paid ASAP. It was to deter the tire kickers who bid on an item and didn't want to pay for it or wanted to pay for it in a few days. So if you have 2 buyers who click buy it now at the same time the one who paid for it first won it. Its never a race though as never do 2 buyers purchase at the same time.
When you list an item that is an option they give you.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 26, 2012 05:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, it's a new policy Pat, but it's still improperly placed, as we have a spotless record. It almost sounds like the assumption is that a seller with few sales is a seller who is automatically crooked oir has more of apotential of being crooked ...

... while a seller with lots of sales, well, they are obviously as honest as the day is long ...

... and many of us know that THAT is not true!

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Osi, why not sell any films you have for sale on the forum?
Everybody knows and trusts you, I realise E-bay has it's benefits
of more people bidding etc but the same thing could be done
on the forum with "sealed bids".I remember the late Harry Nadler
doing the same thing when selling some prints on 16mm
and I was fortunate in getting "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth"
IB Tech for £250.00.I think that would work on here, where lets
face it,we're all in the same boat and dealing with like minded folk.
Plus you could cut paypal right out of the equation.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 08:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to always list them on here first, and at some fairly reasonable prices, (well hey, I'm cheap, so I tend to think cheap, except in the case of the STARWARS print, which I'm sure as hell not goin to just let go for 100.00 bucks.) ...

but I'd let them sit on here for four or five days, no e-mails or nothing, so then I'd have my wife list them on her ebay account.

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 10:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I agree with Osi on this one. I have listed a few things on here and not a word is heard..not even a mouse!
So I place it on Ebay and Voila!
Sold to the man with the green mustache!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 27, 2012 10:46 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh, this forum is filled with members who already had enough films. If films being offered are just the so-so ones, well it will not get sell here,....expcept for THE ROSE ! [Wink]

So Ebay is the only way now.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted February 28, 2012 11:41 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I take on board what you're saying Winbert and it reads like
this; so so films that can't sell on the Forum I'll pass onto Joe
Public for lets face it, some over inflated price, that you wouldn't
get anywhere else,I'll use the Elvis film as an example,thats how
the seller made himself $1200.00 which is fine by me,but if the
seller starts to complain that he must wait nearly a month for
his money then I'm afraid this is just someone else exploiting him
and that is the way of the world.If you want to play in this arena
then you play by the big boys rules, in this case PAYPAL.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 04:58 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what we need?

Something I'm going to call a "Film Convention".

That way, we can all meet together at various locations around the world, get to know each other, then barter over our beloved prints; maybe making some new friends or even enemies and in doing so, trade face to face.

And if that doesn't work...adopt a "middle man", ie; a "dealer" who can sit in the middle of the room and buy and sell our films for us, taking a little profit, but reducing the personal interaction between seller and buyer, thus reducing the potential for any physical disagreements.

Just a thought. [Smile]

Jon Addams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 05:43 PM      Profile for Jon Addams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That way, we can all meet together at various locations around the world, get to know each other, then barter over our beloved prints; maybe making some new friends or even enemies and in doing so, trade face to face.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Jon

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 28, 2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jon, glad you agree!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC