8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The irony of being a hero!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The irony of being a hero!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 01:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I had my chance to be a hero today.

We were walking home and we were passing a trailer on the corner of our street, and heard a fire alarm going off, and I could see a little smoke starting to exit a window, so I hurried Steph and Devin home, banged on the old neieghbors who live across the street door to call 911.

Meanwhile, I went over and fortunately, found the door unlocked, smoke majorly billowed out so I ran through the house keeping low and yelling for anyone. No one was home, so I went to the kitchen, (as it smelled like a "something cooking" fire) and sure enough, someone had left a pressure cooker style pot on the stove completely burnt, with the gas heat stove on.

Flames were coming up, so I got underneath, down low, and turned off the stove, got a pitcher on the counter across from it and splashed the fire a bunch, put it out, (the flames were maybe a couple feet higher, no more), and took a towel next to the stove and put the burnt pot in the sink, and right then, the firefighters arived.

Fortunately, all they had to do was blow the smoke out, as there was no damage I could see but smoke damage, and not much of that.

Why do I mention all of this?

Because of the irony ...

After I had given the statements to the police and fire fighters, the husband came home, and when he was told what had happened, he started yelling at me for going into his house and then, had the audacity to try to get me arrested for trespassing.

Hows that for gratitude?

Oh well ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 01:36 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I think of him f*&k him. I would go back and light it again!

I'll bet Superman never had those problems!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 21, 2012 02:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a course in CPR and First Aid recently.

They told us that before you administer the Heimlich maneuver you actually need to get some kind of permission from the victim because there have been cases where Good Samaritans have actually been sued!

If I were obviously choking and someone asked me if I wanted the Heimlich, I think my permission would be in the form of the International "You've GOT to be kidding me!" sign!

Thanks for helping somebody out, Osi! Maybe no good deed goes unpunished, but we still need them!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you are a hero, your neighbour is a grade A jerk. It would'nt suprise me if he has the gall to try and sue you.
Your story reminds me of a similar incident involving my son-in-law, who is an Orange County Deputy Sheriff. He got a call in his patrol car about a break-in and attempted rape at a house in his vicinity. He raced over to the house and found the woman in hysteria and then saw the guy trying to leap over the back yard fence. He rushed outside and tackled the guy just as he was about to get over the top. Then he hauled him off to jail.
Next day, the guy was out on bail, and my son-in-law was told to report to his bosses office, whereupon he was informed that the woman had called up and complained about him damaging her fence!
What a bunch of selfish screwed up people there are in this world! [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 21, 2012 02:59 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
you've done a good thing - do not lose sleep over the reaction of this guy, he's not worth it.
In Scotland the nice term for this guy is, Tosser.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 21, 2012 07:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
You certainly did the right thing going in....well done. If you hadn't and there were adults or kids trapped, or in most cases overcome with smoke and out to it......then what, fire can take hold "real quick" once enough heat is generated.

Like Steve I did a CPR first aid course a few years ago. Because the cinema was part of a shopping mall, the owners thought it would be a good idea to have the three of us projectionists trained and certfied, as their is always one of us working and to be on call, not just for the cinema but the mall itself if needed. It would be a sorry world if we did not help others in need thats for sure.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 21, 2012 08:17 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The odd part is even though I've had CPR courses before, this one is compulsory where I work (and only compulsory) for people that work with lethal voltages.

They call it the "Two man rule": one guy to do the work, the other to keep 'im alive until the paramedics arrive!

-although I'm not certain how the Heimlich fits that scenario...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 12:02 AM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you don't get it do you??? You ruined his perfectly good insurance claim he was working on...now he has to pay his bills next month. [Razz]

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 03:17 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Wayne you've hit it square on,that's exactly what he was doing,
well done Osi for his quick response and level head,my own view
now would be to settle the score by waiting for this guy to
discuss the pro's and con's of my actions,while there are no
witnesses to the event,and when he tries to get up,he goes down
again.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 03:21 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there was ever an image of how fast a fire can move, check out the Bradford City Football Club stadium fire May 11th 1985 on You-tube. I remember seeing this on the news years ago, the speed was unbelievable.

Watch the.. "clock"...its all over very quickly.

Osi, your neighbour is a "fool" and should have been gratefull.

Graham.

Austin Holcomb
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 08:04 AM      Profile for Austin Holcomb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are not only a hero but a overall nice guy not only on the forum but in real life we need more people like you in today's society. (:
Austin

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 09:10 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was an insurance claim, as they lost a very nice looking chicken dinner and that wouldn't make the missus happy.

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 11:07 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi...."No good deed goes unpunished"

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 01:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, you did good and you're right to feel good about it. kudos, friend.
Does this @**hole own a car? Buy a small fresh herring, slide it down the exhaust pipe and push until it can't be removed.
Sit back, relax, and let the guy enjoy the sweet smell of fish cooking. Forever.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

John Davis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2012 02:00 PM      Profile for John Davis   Email John Davis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with your solution Jean-Marc is that the way you have described; it sounds quite tasty.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how to describe this current society, as I am only temporary resident in the northern America. But to be honest, I see something wrong in this society in terms of "suing".

There are a lot of misuse in suing other people/company to the stage of looking for money. People should work to get money, not by suing people. Suing money should only compensate the lost not to make him/her to become rich.

It is very funny I read an article about people suing his Samaritan helpers, consumer suing McDonald because his cup is too hot to handle, a man suing restaurant because the floor is too slippery, and some other type of sues that enough to make my stomach sick.

My friend was in the car that his friend was driving and was hit by other cars. It was not enough for him that the other car (through the insurance) would totally replace him with a new car.

He asked my friend to sign as a witness and started suing the other car for his problem not having money after this accident, his old health problem re-appear, etc, etc.

I am not saying that we cannot sue other people but government has to limit the amount money he/she can get so it is not "sue for money" issue.

Not too many people realize that this current situation is actually bringing bad impacts to the society itself where we now see all the insurance premiums are going up.

With the premium is going up then all companies (restaurant, sport centers, stores, etc) have also to raise up the fee they charge to people. And you can see know who are spending more. It is the society itself.

In my country, people are still living side by side as neighbor and we don't have this sue culture. No wonder in my Consulate, I received so many requests to move permanently to Bali in their retirement age rather than getting involved in the culture that they cannot absorb.

--------------------
Winbert

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 22, 2012 04:55 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is very true Winbert,and this culture has spread to our shores
with"ambulance chasing solicitors" asking "Have you had an accident at work",my answer would be "Isn't he the lucky
Bastard,at least he has a job to have an accident at!"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 12:52 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I did that once, except, I opened a tin of sardines, let them sit out in the hot sun for a few days and then, knowing the dude was going on a long trip the very next morning, poured trhe contents under his drivers seat the night before! (hee hee!)

He described the situation that followed later on ...

1. He searched ...
2. His hands discovered a slimey smelly mess under his seat, fun!
3. Clean out said mess ...

4. Expanding his vocabulary with assorted "colorful metaphors" all the way from Mountain Home Idaho, to Spokane, Washington, (not to mention all the way back).

... bear in mind, that we had been playing practical jokes on each other for years and yep, he's "zinged" me a few times as well.

--------------------

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2012 06:22 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
In a similar story to Osi's,my late work colleague and friend, "Big"
Tom Markham,a sort of Bud Spencer lookalike,but very good
Bricklayer,was sitting having a cup of tea with his sister and brother in law in their kitchen,when suddenly there was a lot of commotion at the back door,on opening it,a distraught next door
neighbour asked for help as her caravan(trailer) was on fire.
The two men jumped into action,Tom got over the fence and asked for buckets,his brother in law quickly gave him two,Tom
responded by asking that they would be better with water in them,they were duly filled.The fire,such as it was,was quickly
put out,just as the tea party was about to resume,a fire engine
appeared,blue light flashing,and two firemen in uniform ran
towards the caravan,carrying axes.One ran into the caravan
and started chopping off doors etc in fact anything that looked as though it needed chopping got chopped.The other lunatic
was on the roof,his axe a blur, hacking holes all over the roof.
Debris was flying through the doorway at a rate of knots,not to
be outdone by his mate on the roof,he got the hose pipe for
him to liberally soak the vehicle.After a good five minutes,the
water was turned off,hose reeled up, a nod to the spectators and feeling their work was done,climbed aboard the tender and buggered off into the night.Tom turned to his in law and said
"i'd heard about that lot,but that was a revelation,It's nice to
know that while you're cremating in a real fire,termites like
them are vandalising your property." The caravan was a write off,luckily insured,The moral is that we have our share of lunatics and they all seem to gravitate to positions of power
or the emergency services.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC