8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Ebay protocol?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ebay protocol?
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 01:40 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I asked specifically in my ebay listing that potential bidders from overseas should contact me for a shipping quote BEFORE bidding.
Someone from France has just gone ahead and bid anyway.
What would you do in order to avoid hassle at the end of the auction?
I've sent the bidder an email with the full shipping quote and given them the opportunity to retract their bid if it's not suitable. Does that sound about right?

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 01:47 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds good to me. I would pay the shipping costs myself, if I bid. If he later says he won't pay, that makes him the bad one and you are entitled to leaving negative.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a seller you can't leave negative feedback,I've had a few non payers lately and ebay are not interested.I recently had a bid on a film from the Netherlands and normally i do UK auctions only due to trouble i've had abroad,I gave in and sent the films but they couldn't find the address so it was returned,more fool me!! Mark.By the way he bid first then asked to bid!!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 02:56 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, you couldn't be more fair than that, if they want the film
then no doubt they know that shipping costs must be paid.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 03:53 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your in the right. If the buyer does not agree to the shipping you can cancel transaction with no reflection on you. matter of fact, when you request to cancel a transaction the very reason is listed as a choice. Good luck with your auction!

PatD

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 10, 2012 05:36 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, if the auction ends, the buyer doesn't agree to the shipping, I can cancel the transaction without fear of negative feedback from him (or her)?

Wayne Tuell
Master Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2012 06:14 PM      Profile for Wayne Tuell   Author's Homepage   Email Wayne Tuell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the buyer does not pay, you file the nonpayment complaint, once that is over you get the fees refunded and the buyer does not get to leave feedback.

with the language barrier it is easy for them not to understand to contact you first, or could be they didn't read it. You would be shocked how many buyers see a picture and bid without reading descriptions. For future auctions, maybe put the setting not to allow other countries AND have directions for buyers outside your homeland to contact you first then you can add their buyer name to your allowed list. Before I started selling worldwide, I was having to do that.

It is possible to enter the shipping methods and weight of a package in the item builder steps. That way no matter who looks at it from any country, it will show the costs before they bid.

--------------------
www.16mmDrive-InFilms.com

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 01:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is as I feared.
How long does one wait before filing an "Unpaid Item" complaint?

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 02:00 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point Michael.
Experience tells me to file the complaint no later than 4 days after the auction ends.
The majority of bidders pay up very quickly after receiving a non-payment case against them, and with the rare exception of holidays/illness, I've found this to work on all but one instance.
There are lots of ways to ship internationally, as long as you weigh your item caefully, include the price of your packing etc and get a handy Royal Mail postal guide for international rates, then the ebay system allows for this quite nicely.
If you are clear in your item description and do what you promised to, then buyers have no comeback on your service.
Good luck, iit really is worth it, as most other forum members seem to agree

--------------------
Ron

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 02:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Ron. I'll give 'em till friday.

The problem is not me shipping internationally. I've always shipped internationally but I specifically ask in the listing for overseas bidders to contact me for a shipping quote BEFORE bidding. This person didn't, just bid anyway. I immediately contacted them and gave them a shipping quote but with the offer that they can retract their bid if they wished.

They went ahead and won the auction on Sunday. Despite three invoices and a email, no reply.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 04:29 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the problem stems from the upsidedown logic of Ebay. They are too biased in favour of the buyer. Whatever happened to 'buyer beware' the basic rule of auction. I heard an horrific story from a reliable source, where a seller sold an item to France/Belgium and the buyer requested to return the item for a full refund. The seller agreed and the buyer returned a package containing a rotten apple! The seller complained to Ebay and backed his complaint with photos of the content of the package. Ebay refused to accept the complaint and forced the seller to give a full refund. I have to admit that I have only suffered once in this manner but in my view Ebay gets worse by the day in many ways. The problem is that communities like ours rely on good faith and honesty, but Ebay attracts undesirables who see it as a way of making a fast buck.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted November 14, 2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Very True Terry,it's a sign of the times I suppose when people
are capable of such rotten tricks, and no more so than the one
being pulled on Michael,I STILL can't get my head around the
hang up that some people have with shipping, how the hell do
they think the goods are going to get there?

Ron Douglas
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 04:39 PM      Profile for Ron Douglas   Email Ron Douglas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gents, you raise some seriously important issues that are continually being experience by ebay members worldwide.
Ebay appear to have no true accountability and continue to fall back on their policy rules, evading the true issues and hiding behind some unevenly applied terms and conditions.
With sellers being unable to leave negative feedback, simply in order to warn any other sellers, ebay rely upon a buyer reaching a threshold of unpaid item cases, where their account may be estricted/or suspended.
The only way around international bidders not contacting you before bidding is to ensure your postage calculator is pre-set, so there can never be any doubt as to what the buyr is expected to pay for shipping.
For me, it's a realisation that there are far more time-wasters out there than I'd previously thought!

--------------------
Ron

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2012 07:50 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ebay has a new Global Shipping Program that is supposed to make shipping international from the U.S. a lot easier. You enter the weight and dimensions of the item and they calculate the shipping for the international buyer. I have a few auctions going on right now where I'm offering it. If one of them goes international I'll let you know how it works out.

quote:
The Global Shipping Program simplifies selling an item to an international buyer. All you need to do is ship the item to a US shipping center. International shipping experts manage the international shipping and customs process, and send the item to the international buyer.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 17, 2012 02:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to hear that Michael has received his payment. The buyer appears to have a bargain.

--------------------
Maurice

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted November 17, 2012 03:51 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you post eBay links here too? Easier for us ;-) (Lazy bastard that I am)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC