8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Horrible Cinema Experience (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Horrible Cinema Experience
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 05:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the future of home movie viewing is downloading to a cellphone or tablet, count me out. If I can't own it in a physical sense, I don't want it.
Blu Ray is now where super 8 was in its hayday, and represents the best quality obtainable for home movie viewing. To compare it to 16mm is unfair - it is much better than that, and I'm not knocking 16mm. But Blu Ray may not survive if downloading really takes off, so I am buying all the blu ray titles that I like and can afford, while they are still around. Remember the golden years of super 8 only lasted 20 years.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 05:39 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Remember the golden years of super 8 only lasted 20 years.
Yes, but it was replaced by another "ownable" medium. My opinion is that there will always be a medium such as DVD (just as an example) available. A huge percentage of the movie-watching public have no dealings at all with computers, cellphones, tablets or any other such devices.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 05:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The down side for the film companys regarding dvd/Blu-ray is that when you buy that disc, its a one off payment to them.

Now if those film folk decide, no more dvd or blu-ray and you have to pay for each home viewing, then they are making more money from you each time you watch it, either in download or memory stick fashion.

Cinemas will be gone, and the film companys will have total control and distribution of the product.

Graham.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 06:45 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have seen of their product of late Graham,they are
welcome to it.Modern film seems devoted to teenagers who seem
to enjoy what they are given,me, I am more discerning in my
tastes.I made a vow not to return to the cinema,only to break
it to accompany my better half to view the new Bond film.I have
little time for what I deem to be feature length adverts for products I wouldn't be seen dead with.As you rightly say,cinema
was something for everyone and every taste,not now,and no
matter how they try to enliven the experience with gimmicks,
the fact remains that unless you like crude humour and bad
language with endless bodily function jokes,mindless car chases
and dialogue you can't make out,punctuated by explosions
and shootings,then the modern cinema is no place for you.
Back in the '60's,I went as a schoolboy to see the excellent
"Planet of the Apes",that inspired me to study astronomy,what
inspiration does the modern film offer today apart from drug use and violence.Maybe it's just a sad reflection of our society.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 07:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Hugh, they do say that cinema reflects the society in which it is made. In which case we are all much worse off than I thought! [Frown]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 08, 2012 08:08 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with what you say about owning a film on something tangible as opposed to a memory chip Paul.The way
things are with the public though, is that it comes across that
all they require for their viewing pleasure are reality shows and
soap operas, with the ability to access missed episodes.I sometimes feel as though I don't belong because I watch none
of them.What is needed are some private cinemas to put on the
musicals and comedies etc of the past as an antidote to the poor entertainment in general that is being served up,don't
get me wrong,not all modern film is bad,there are some good
examples,like "Cowboys & Aliens",pure hokum, but great
entertainment,"Tinker,Tailor,Soldier Spy" a fine modern thriller,
the new Bond wasn't to my taste,but lots of folk enjoyed it.
A simple question I always ask myself is; Do I wish to own it
on film? and the positive answers are getting less and less.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2012 05:54 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I meant my comparison with 16mm only as a complement! [Smile]

You're right though, it can sometimes be a lot better.

Hollywood won't care about losing a format, because downloading will replace it, so the cash still comes in.

DVD Audio and SACD were potentially the best audio formats we were likely to see, but in the wake of MP3 downloading, quality was thrown out over convenience. Same will happen with movies.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 09, 2012 12:54 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hollywood won't care about losing a format, because downloading will replace it, so the cash still comes in.
I disagree.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 09, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hollywood studios will not write off any source of revenue. They will continue to support DVD and Blu Ray just as long as it is profitable for them to do so. If you want the discs to keep coming, then go out and buy some.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 09, 2012 02:03 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said it, Paul.
[Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 02:53 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they won't be a source of major profit because downloading will take over sales of physical media. Record companies generally didn't give a hoot about losing DVD Audio / SACD.

At best, Blu-ray may be a niche format with a limited life.

Now there is actually nothing wrong with the concept of downloading per say, if there remains the option to download at Blu-ray quality. Actually, the idea of a black box under the projector that can download high quality films isn't something I'd object to. My fear is that this won't be the case. Primarily, downloading offers convenience and speed. So whilst you are promised HD content to your big screen TV / Projector, the current reality is that it is very compressed and as such isn't anywhere near Blu-ray quality (internet speeds still aren't really good enough, although always improving, but if you wanted Blu-ray quality, you'd have to sit and wait as it downloaded; a concept that this market isn't really aiming at currently).

Whether distributers will bother with a high quality option if compressed downloading satisfies the mass market is questionable, but let us hope so.

Despite that, TV / Projector manufacturers have pushed forward with 4K displays, so maybe the future is a little more difficult to predict.

But to think that most people won't be watching films at home as downloads in the near future is cuckoo land; all you need is the internet and a modern TV, or an older TV with a box under it, so it isn't about being a computer genius.

By the way, I intend to keep buying as many Blu-rays as possible [Razz] .

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 03:13 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're probably right there Rob.Personally I don't think
for a minute the public care about picture quality as much as we
think.I have always found the picyures taken with digital cameras
to be flat with little contrast,but it doesn't seem to bother most
folk,they like the convenience.I side with Paul, in that a tangible
medium,that needs a clean now and then,or just a plastic disc in
an attractive case with notes, has got to be more satisfying than
a memory stick or some other form of download, but I'm speaking
as a collector/ film lover and not the general public.When people
can watch whatever they want,whenever they want, I think
you'll find they no longer want it.A point that does niggle me, is
that people warch TV programmes on their 'phones,PC's or
whatever, WHY AREN'T THEY PAYING A LICENCE FEE.?

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 03:17 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob is right on this one. DVD and Blu-Ray will be niche market eventually, or whatever replaces them will be niche market. My own documentary film production business has been telling me for years people in general do not want a physical disc but if they do want a disc they only want to pay a couple of pounds or don't want to pay for it at all. The future is download and unless fantastic controls go in all the piracy we have today will get worse and worse.

I hardly ever come across a film I want to go and see nowadays despite having very wide taste. The reason for this is because very little is being made and what is being made is largely aimed at teenagers who still go to the cinema in droves.

I too saw Prometheus at the Empire. It was in 3D and looked absolutely awful. So after straining my eyes for two hours I got the Blu-Ray in 2D - it is much better viewing it in the home using a reasonably decent video projector. I used to love going to the Empire, it was a real event just to be there. Now it's just another place to see something I can present better in my own home. Depressing really.

By the way, DVD sales worldwide (including Blu-Ray) are a fraction of what they were a few years ago. It's dying already.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 01:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By the way, DVD sales worldwide (including Blu-Ray) are a fraction of what they were a few years ago. It's dying already.

Which leaves us where?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back with 9.5mm YAY!! [Smile]

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 03:01 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the others have been saying, I highly doubt that downloading will be the "death" of the home movie, because there's always been a "new and better format" around the corner.

16 mm -> 8mm -> Super 8 -> Open reel tape -> Videocassette -> Laserdisc -> VideoDisc -> DVD -> HDDVD/BluRay -> Digital distribution -> ?

I have actually had the pleasure of trying out all of these formats, and they have all been a step forward, but never any "killers".

Yes, digital download/distribution is a spacesaver and much easier, but at a loss of quality, which in the long run won't be something the consumers agree on.

It's like the vinyl renaissance; CDs are out, vinyls are in, why? Because no matter what, a large chunk of the consumers want quality, not convinience!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 03:48 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly feel the opposite is true Chris,the public at large want
up to the minute techno,like touch screen aps,ability to play
moronic games or be in constant touch with everyone having
mindless conversations,we've all heard them "I'm on the train now" etc,picture quality is the last thing on their minds.These
are the same people that took instant pictures to their hearts,
video was a Godsend,not to anyone who has had to sit through
hours of someones unedited footage,but it was the fad of the
time and thousands of cine projectors were condemned to the
heap.I believe the public were sold a "pig in a poke" and the
record of a generation will be lost through desintegration of
video tape.The public at large were not told this at the time,
but the "Big boys" knew.The same thing is happening again,
it's all down to a sales pitch,"what we sold you last month is now
old fashioned,take a look at this months baby". So they don't
want you to watch DVDs when they can charge you a fee to
watch a film ONCE.It all boils down to the simple fact that there
is money to be made by selling the public what they already had.Gone are the days of walking into a cinema and watching
a 1940s movie,you'll watch what THEY serve up,which on the
whole isn't very good, but then this is a public that watches
films on mobile phones!So much for picture quality.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 04:35 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
16 mm -> 8mm -> Super 8 -> Open reel tape -> Videocassette -> Laserdisc -> VideoDisc -> DVD -> HDDVD/BluRay -> Digital distribution -> ?
Hi Chris,

I'm intrigued by the "Open reel tape" in your sequence between Super 8 and Videocassete. What was this?

Christian Bjorgen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2012 05:15 PM      Profile for Christian Bjorgen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I am referring to quadtapes and Type C videotape, which was on reels just like film, but the tapes were magnetic (pretty much big, big videocassettes without the cassette itself). I don't know how big these were in the US and UK, but in Norway they were actually fairly common during the 70s and 80s, since film never really bloomed here in the same scale as the rest of the world.

The problem with these tapes were that the machines used for recording and playing were insanely big, heavy and complex, and the tapes themselves did not fit a whole lot of video (most of the reels sold were 30, 45 or 60 minutes). I remember my uncle having a complete Type C tape recording of a country music concert that was broadcast back in the 70s, but it was missing one of the songs in the middle, as he had to switch reels and prepare the new tape!

--------------------
Well who’s on first? Yeah. Go ahead and tell me. Who. The guy on first. Who. The guy playin’ first base. Who. The guy on first. Who is on first! What are you askin’ me for? I’m askin’ you!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I see. I never came across those.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 06:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alhough downloading films has no appeal for me, I'd appreciate a better grasp of what the quality is like. I note the comments about the compression and the inferiority compared to Blu Ray but could anyone who has viewed downloads via a TV or digital projector please offer a more precise comment. E.g. how do they compare with a DVD?

And if DVD and even Blu Ray sales are in serious decline, is the effort put into creating and providing numerous extras for DVD/Blu Ray releases to some extent misguided, because a large proportion of consumers are not at all troubled if they don't have a chance to see them.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 10, 2012 06:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the DVD sales figures for 2012 so far. Do you think the studios are really going to walk away from this kind of money- $107 million for Hunger Games and $20 million for Downton Abbey alone!
http://www.the-numbers.com/dvd/charts/annual/2012.php

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 11, 2012 03:03 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re open reel video tape I’m sure a few on here will remember Sony’s low density open reel system from the mid 1960’s. It gave about a 1 hour record time in black and white.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 11, 2012 05:39 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that the comedy celebrity Bob Monkhouse was one
of the first to have this technology in this country at the time,
which enabled him to archive material that would have been lost
to us if he hadn't.One of the reasons I have little time for these
companies screaming about copyrights, they can't be trusted to
look after stuff.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 11, 2012 05:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly very true Hugh. The beeb without doubt are probably the worst offenders which is well documented.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC