8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My Horrible Cinema Experience (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: My Horrible Cinema Experience
John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 02:29 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I know what you are saying but a few years ago the DVD market was so big the release of a film to the cinema was not particularly important because there was always the secondary market on DVD to fall back on. That is no longer true today and in most cases if a film does not find an audience in cinemas then that's it. If we believe what we were told a few years ago big releases were earning more money on DVD than on theatrical release. Those days have gone and with the modern penchant for piracy and cheap downloads they ain't likely to come back.

Adrian, the quality of downloads and viewing on-line is awful compared to Blu-Ray. But like all these formats, things vary enormously. There are even plenty of sub-standard Blu-Rays out there. I saw the Apollo 13 Blu-Ray on a large LCD TV recently and it looked terrible. Interestingly the PAL LaserDisc looks excellent projected through my six year old Hitachi LCD projector but I think a lot of the Blu-Ray problem was the TV it was being screened on. Bring back 1200 line CRT televisions... having said that, I think there were only ever two produced! But the quality was far superior to these cheap LCD monitors being foisted on people today.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 05:33 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Talking DVD. One of our local cinemas has now removed the DVD sale machine from the foyer. Another is just about to bin the 35mm projectors and install dig. Perhaps now’s a good time if you have some spare cash, the space to grab a good cinema projector and preserve the equipment and art of projecting 35mm film. The digital switch over is happening very swift now and some of the chaps I used to talk to in the projection boxes have lost jobs.

[ December 13, 2012, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is there's no way the studios (for want of a better word) will just cut off the potential revenue from older releases. Remember, as I said above, there are a large number of mainly older movie fans, not necessarily cinemagoers, who do not use computers at all, and who will have no interest in downloading anything.
Younger cinema goers will have limited, if any, interest in older releases.
Sorry, but I can never see a time when there won't be some form of collectable medium for movies.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 01:12 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sincerely hope you are right ... I am the first to jump off the collecting wagon when I can't buy the CD or DVD/Blu-Ray or what not. I need the item stacked neatly in my shelves and looking good. Not a chance of me buying a binary, I either stop watching movies, listening to music or plainly take it for free ... Maybe I stick to seeing the old releases again and again instead, hopefully I'll have some full features in the future, like Alien, Aliens, Star Wars, Empire Strikes, Terminator ...

Was Blade Runner ever on Super 8?

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted December 12, 2012 01:35 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're right Michael,somehow I feel DVD will be around longer
than we think because they haven't really got anthing as good
to replace it with just yet,folks can still buy budget DVDs or
pay for an expensive imported one.Blu Ray, which was a further
step for better quality, proves my point that the public were not
convinced, and have stayed with "normal" DVD.Downloading
poorer quality product I don't think will bother the majority,as
society has a throw away attitude, and if the prospect of viewing more cheaply even with a drop in quality, I don't think
it'll bother Joe Public one iota.It might even lead to DVD forums
springing up in the future, where they can talk of the good 'ol
days.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2012 05:29 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having read all the posts about the future of Bluray and DVD versus downloading from the internet, I am of the opinion that DVDs and Bluray discs will continue until replaced by another "sell through" format of even better quality as has happened in the past. Probably sparking off yet another "Super high definition" format war between rival developers!! They say history always repeats itself!! Even the younger generation will get fed up with downloading unless something is done to dramatically improve the downloading speeds. From my own experience this is getting worse and often it just freezes for minutes on end because of the increased pressure on the broadband phone lines. There are still some areas of the U.K. that do not have broadband and others where the broadband, including my own area, where it is constantly interupted by the engineers re routing whilst changing the main lines from copper wire to fibre optic. There are so many other pieces of "gear" which now also include downloading facilities that there is often a Queue. It can sometimes take up to 5 hours to download a 90 minute film!! Pay per view by satelite is more expensive than buying a DVD. as far as I can work out. Particularly when you also pay for the viewing package. So I don't think the future is as bleak as some of you think for people like us. Wish I could feel the same about Hollywood though. Thank goodness we and other European countries can still produce good films aimed at more mature minded people. I hesitate to use the word "adult" as it can give a different conotation these days!!!
Digital cinema has created problems for the independents who are struggling to continue because of the high cost of going digital and the decreasing number of 35mm prints. Such a shame because the quality of presentation is often more like "the old days" than the multiplexes. Ken Finch.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 04:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to enjoy going out and looking around the VHS, LaserDisc or DVD shelves in shops for something to purchase to enjoy at home. Now there are very few shops selling DVD or Blu-Ray so for most of us the only option is a few titles stocked in a supermarket. It doesn't really appeal much. Yes, there are a few HMV shops left but in the main that's it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a collector of, mainly, movies from 1926-34, I've bought almost exclusively online for quite a few years now. However, I do agree, there are very few high street DVD outlets these days.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 13, 2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite the opposite out here, their are heaps of branches of what we call "The Warehouse" its discount stores, they sell everything including zillions of DVDs and slowly more and more Blu-ray titles.

Graham.

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2012 03:59 PM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In response to the comment by John of the decline of shops selling DVD in the High Street, surely this is not because of the lack of demand for them. Most high street retailers are having a hard time for mainly 3 reasons. 1. the recession. 2. competition from out of town shopping malls and big multi goods retailers like Tesco, Asda etc. and 3. shopping on line. On line sellers like Play.com, Moviemail are the ones I tend to use most. Prices are lower than H.M.V. and are sent post free. I also hire DVDs from Lovefilm if they are ones I wanted to see but unable to get to a cinema. Ken Finch.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC