8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Here Today, Gone Tomorrow (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 20, 2013 08:18 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Thanks for the offer..I bought another one lately locally.

I keep all my original camcorder tapes after transfer and editing, just in case. When DVD came along I went back to those original tapes to get the best transfer and not a "copy of a copy" had I used those tapes for something else.

I came across one I took of the time I worked on aircraft, so made a small you-tube video "Mount Cook Airlines The 748 Days" and posted a link to the facebook page of the airline. So far over 600 views, not bad considering...it gives the chance for the folk to look back at times gone by.

Over the last few years at the cinema before it closed, I once again mostly used VHS tape to record things and some Super8.. that, by the end of this year in this city "film projection" will more than likely cease to exist, replaced fully with digital [Frown] .."Here Today, Gone Tomorrow" as Paul would say

In saying that I have transferred that stuff to Archival Gold, The 100 Year Disc [Roll Eyes] ...

I once said to young Chris at the time of shooting this last video that he "would" most likely be "The Last Film Projectionist" I was right.
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2013 10:58 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By law you are permitted to make a back-up copy for your own personal use and
there are various freeware applications that enable you to copy using a computer and Handbrake is one of many.

I read that the chemistry also fails on home recordable DVD media. One Co. Mam#or*x, has had problems. I'm sure there are other risky labels that fail.
Verbatim media is very good. There is also Gold plated or Medical DVD media that will last. Verbatim also makes gold media.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 21, 2013 04:30 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were given this USB last weekend....it had seven full features on it. [Eek!] will this tiny little flash drive be the future??
 -

Graham.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 21, 2013 05:41 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitly not something you dream to own...

--------------------
Dominique

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2013 06:25 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Verbatim is very good as mentioned, my wife has some of these and they are quite old now. I always make 2 copies of all my digital home movies. I still have most of the clips on my computer.

I agree with Hugh, when we buy these DVDs they are supposed to be forever, just like vinyl or shellac. 20th Century Fox used to advertise there releases as 'Yours to own forever'

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 04:05 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with discs regarding a limited viewing
time, how would this be feasible with libraries etc that loan them
out, maybe we're just scaring ourselves.

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 04:42 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When DVD's all of a sudden refuse to play, in most cases this is due to the lens in the optical pick up element that got dirty. Some discs will still play while others refuse to start up.
Clean the lens with a cotton swap and some alcohol and you will be fine in 95% of the cases.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried getting a program that rips your dvd to external hard drive. Since you own the film its not pirating. I remember the laserdisc days people complained about laser rot.

I feel sorry for those who transferred there home movies to dvd and they trashed the films.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 05:15 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried getting a program that rips your dvd to external hard drive. Since you own the film its not pirating. I remember the laserdisc days people complained about laser rot.

I feel sorry for those who transferred there home movies to dvd and they trashed the films.

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 07:40 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had DVD's (many HD-DVDs) from US and Canada and often get the same problem. I managed to play mostly all of them after letting hot water running onto them and cleaning them. There's some layer on it, even if it looks absolutely lovely and no scratches, there's residue on it from the pressing (I was told). This has helped a lot. Also try two different brand of DVD players, as also I noticed, some play on this and not the other and vice versa

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 08:41 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movies on a stick? No thank you, count me out. But this is probably where we are heading to, a place where all movies are on USB memory sticks and are viewed on hand held devices. Will blu ray disc survive? Probably not, it will be the last video format requiring some form of mechanical motion. So buy em while you can.
All this makes the preservation of 'reel' film collections and film equipment all the more worthwhile.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 24, 2013 09:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of discussion about cloud computing these days. If taken to the extreme all storage will be out on the Internet and people will no longer have copies of songs or video and everything will be on demand. That kind of brings the idea of "collecting" to the point of extinction!

I like the idea of miniaturisation in principal, but all "movies on a stick" would mean in this household is we'd keep finding movies stuck between the couch cushions!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 09:33 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to find a way of preserving films for the future and stick to it. We had VHS and Betamax, then when you have spent a lot of money building up a collection it is suddenly obsolete, and replaced by DVD; then after spending more money, along comes Blu Ray, now it's a USB stick.

Film has been around for well over a century, and the BFI as well as archives in the US have spent a lot of money trying to stransfer nitrate prints onto safety stock before it's too late; the archivists favourite colour film Kodachrome has been discontinued; Fuji say they will continue to manufacture film for archive purposes only, but for how long.
Eventually, even those safety prints might succumb to VS, and so I say that we need to find a good way of preserving films for the future and keep to it. Sometimes you wonder if these changes are really an improvement or just a way of getting the customer to part with his hard earned money.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 03:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

It's good to know that your LD's are fine and have not had laser rot.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 03:58 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LD's might start soon. My early PAL discs are starting to rot ... Lots of distortion in the picture :-( But they are probably early 80's, so getting old

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 05:18 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Vadar my laser disc are from the early days of that format that are getting the rot.

Like your piracy Hugh. I rip all my dvd/cd to hard disc for ease of playing, I have even had a problem with one of the discs failing, and once they fail its really hard and can be expensive to get your data back. You can still watch a faded print though

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 06:54 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow Dave, I have doubts on the releasing companies incripting so many screenings as has been suggested, Alexander
I think is on the right track when he mentioned the lens of the
laser, but I am one that believes in leaving stuff alone when I know nothing about it. Unless when the cover is removed and there are
numerous arrows pointing to the lens, I wouldn't risk damaging
stuff.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 07:52 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here today gone tomorrow.

Sound like me pension!

PatD

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 09:51 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
When I told people I collect film they say why do you collect that old stuff. Im kinda disappointed today when I went to a kids festival and they were about to show a movie outside with a blownup movie screen and black box with a digital projection. Gone are the days when the mainstream uses film and metal screens.boooo

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted August 24, 2013 09:52 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
When I told people I collect film they say why do you collect that old stuff. Im kinda disappointed today when I went to a kids festival and they were about to show a movie outside. It was funny to see a blownup movie screen and black box with a digital projection. Gone are the days when the mainstream uses film and metal screens.boooo

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 24, 2013 11:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but show them real films with a real projector and they love it !

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 07, 2013 10:54 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yet another DVD from my collection locked up half way through the movie tonight, this time from a different box set than the first two that showed the same problem. Once again the disc had no visible flaws. I tried it on a second DVD player and the same thing happened. Washing and polishing had no effect - it just locks up and you can't advance or reverse or get back into the main menu. Another case of disc rot? I'm really starting to wonder just how permanent (or temporary) my DVD collection is. [Frown]
And this of course reveals the Achilles heel in the DVD or BR optical disc. With film you just cut out or repair a damaged section. With the digital disc, the whole thing suddenly becomes unplayable! [Frown]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2013 06:51 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, how old are the DVDs, I don't think any of mine are more than about 8 years old. I knew there were problems with the early CDs, but they probably iron that out. I have had a few problems with blank DVDs. You can't beat the old way, FILM.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 05:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many companies that push folk to transfer there home movies "film that is" to DVD also inform them, that in time those discs could, or can totally fail...then what?... your precious images lost forever.

I bet very few if any of those companies really care for the long term. I can only hope, some will tell there customers to keep there original film in a safe place...just in case.

Graham.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 08, 2013 05:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-but their whole sales pitch is based on the impermanence of film and how people should rush to transfer so their "memories will be safe forever".

We have a friend who's about to get a lot of home movies transferred. I've convinced her to save the film as an archival format.

-of course my reward is I get to be the archivist!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC