8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » First refund

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First refund
Bruce Wright
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2013 05:03 PM      Profile for Bruce Wright   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce Wright   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been buying off ebay for 15+ years. Today a Chaplin
film arrived with some folding money inside. The seller
said I was charged to much for shipping. Makes me have
faith in the human race. [Smile] LONG LIVE FILM !!

--------------------
Bruce Wright

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 07, 2013 05:39 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true, every so often people impress you with a little decency and kindness.

-it's too easy to forget it's actually still there among us!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 07, 2013 05:58 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once won a film. I have not paid it yet, suddenly it was marked as sent. I contacted the seller and said he trusted me since I had no neg feedback.

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2013 08:24 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah great story,but lots of sellers I feel charge too much for shipping. I'm glad ebay charges fees on shipping. I hate it when the items is low and they overdo on shipping

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 05:02 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm glad ebay charges fees on shipping.
Brian, but it hits sellers who are honest on shipping.

I was a seller before leaving for Canada and I always charge my buyer with the actual cost. I clearly stated that "buyer will pay the cost that will be seen on the stamp"

But when the stamps show $20, I could not charge my buyer that amount since there is:

- a 10% VAT (tax) that is not on the stamp
- a 10% for final value for shipping (Ebay charge fees on shipping)
- a 5% for paypal fees

overall 25% increase

So I have to inflate the shipping cost to become $24 that is I am not subsidizing my buyers.

When there were only VAT and paypal fee, I still can absorb it but then 10% for final value on shipping is ridiculous.

Why Ebay makes money for something Ebay is not contributing anything?

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 05:33 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, are you saying that there is a price written on the stamp but that you pay 10 % more ? Is that in Canada ? That sounds strange for me as the post office is supposed to be a public service, so add a 10 % public taxe to a price that the government choosed doesn't make (in my point of vue) no sense.

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 05:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's my understanding.

Actually the vat is 13%

So when I am buying a $1 stamp, then I have to pay $1.13. The post office will give me a stamp with $1 value and the receipt with tax added i.e $1.13.

I guess although the post office is a public service, it runs the same with other private courier. That is to say a free market. So all service will be taxed.

The Post office will say that they are selling a $1 stamp but the government charge 13% for tax so buyer must pay for that. But the PO will still give a $1 stamp. Not more not less.

--------------------
Winbert

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 06:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other country, other vision of the world...

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 08, 2013 09:35 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the UK's Postmaster General has not read about Winbert's stamps with VAT on them, otherwise he may think it's a good idea.

I don't relish paying 20 per cent VAT extra on our postal service, it's vastly overpriced as it is.

--------------------
Maurice

Lars-Goran Ahlm
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 08:20 AM      Profile for Lars-Goran Ahlm   Email Lars-Goran Ahlm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first refund earlier this year, and I was really surprised to get it. The seller said the postage got cheaper then expected.

But recent events made me wonder about shipping fees. During the last week I have received two packages six days apart. The first was from a ebay purchase, the second from a private purchase made thru this board. Both packages came from UK, both were sent via UPS, so reason says they should have the same weight to price ratio.
The first one, ebay bought, weighed 5 KG and the seller demanded £32. The second one weighed 15 KG but only cost £40.
I can not beleive that an increse in weight by 200% should only make the price of shipping £8 more expensive.
I have also noted that when sent thru regular postal routes the stamps represents a, sometimes, substancial smaller amount then what you payed for postage. I do NOT like this!!

--------------------
"The trouble with these international affairs is that they attract foreigners"

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2013 12:04 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some Ebay sellers charge extra to take into consideration Ebay, insertion fees and final value fees. Paypal also take a cut, and if you have something heavy and charged say £30, they would take a nice piece of this. I think it would be fairer if the buyer paid the Ebay fee rather than the seller. I used to be out of pocket after Paypal took their cut of the postage fee.

Postage should be non-profit. I used to buy a lot of books, and some sellers would charge £4 or £5, and when it arrived the actual cost might be £1.75.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2013 03:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lars-Goran
I checked with Parcel2Go and for UK to Sweden their cheapest carrier quoted £24 for the 5kg, and £26 for the 15kg, (prices do not include VAT @ 20%.)
However, the prices that you quote are very similar for purchases that I have made from German eBay to the United Kingdom.
Having said that, I have found that UPS, whilst not the cheapest, offer a very reliable service.

[ September 22, 2013, 04:22 AM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

John Vidler
Junior

- posted September 22, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for John Vidler   Author's Homepage   Email John Vidler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I can speak from experience here as I do send quite a number of packages to Europe from the UK. A good website to check postage is http://www.seajays.org.uk/postage/ which is an independent site which gives you all the UK postage prices for a given weight. If you test it out with a few different amounts you will be surprised at the difference in cost.

Also the UK postal system now prices parcels by size as well as weight so I now measure items to make sure that the parcels I send are within the size limits. For example a package 75mm high weighing 950g costs £3.00 for the UK, but an 85mm package of the same weight costs £5.65 instead.

As for large courier parcels, these prices can vary by a huge amount, depending on where you buy the service from. Brokers such as Parcel2Go and Interparcel undercut the couriers standard prices and are almost always massively cheaper than Royal Mail Parcelforce.

It's a shame when eBay sellers overcharge for postage. Personally, I do try to always refund excess postal charges via PayPal if someone has overpaid.

EBay UK has now just started charging selling fees on the whole sale price, including postage - so perhaps the days of inflated postage charges may be coming to an end.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2013 08:56 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Ebay UK are charging for postage and the buyer uses Paypal then you pay twice. Rip off Britain.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC