8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » HDMI no signal connected to tv

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HDMI no signal connected to tv
Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2013 07:11 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm I have an LG bluray player and a toshiba LCD tv the hdmi cable is connected but the tv does not recognize the connection(no Signal). It worked fine a couple of days ago.I tested and rca cables work. Also tried to do all input and change settings but nothing works when I connect HDMI cable.Could it be hdmi cable gone bad? I hope someone knows. this is Modern techno for you. least film is straightforward.

|  IP: Logged

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2013 09:02 AM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is very possible that the cable went bad. Also the longer the cable is the more chance of signal loss will occur, granted that's on the order of 50 plus feet which I am assuming yours isn't.

If you tried all the other HDMI in/outputs it's more than likely the cable. Part of the cable could be loose and jiggling it around can actually make the signal return, of course this isn't a permanent solution. You don't have to buy the most expensive cable either.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 24, 2013 10:56 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure on the TV settings the HDMI is enables. Some sets require that. [Wink]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 04:40 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
purchased a new cable and no go

maybe I need to update firmware or I don't have the right settings. kids are going crazy.

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2013 08:42 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your bluray connected to the internet? If so then the bluray player should automatically update the firmware. If not, whatever is the newest bluray that you bought, should have the update on it. They do it this way so that the players don't have to be connected to the internet to update.

It is also possible that the HMDI out on your bluray player or the inputs on the tv could have crapped out. Hopefully that is not the case.

I would just play around the settings to see what you can adjust. Also it doesn't hurt to look in the manuals of both the tv and bluray player. If you don't have them, you can just google it to find them online.

If you have anything else that can send out a HMDI signal, such as a PS3, or accept one, such as a monitor, and mix and match them to rule out the player vs. the tv.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2013 04:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, try this if you haven't already.

Put the TV and Blu-ray player into standby.

Unplug them from the mains supply; as in physically disconnect them from the supply.

Wait a few minutes.

Plug them back in, fire them up and see what happens.

Matt, sorry but discs do not carry firmware updates.

You can create a CD with the latest firmware from the manufacturer's web site and load new firmware that way if you have a profile 1.1 Bluray player, or simply can't connect it to the internet.

My first thoughts are that this isn't a firmware issue, although wouldn't be the first time I was wrong!! [Smile]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2013 12:18 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
The only option now is to buy another device that excepts HDMI to see if the problem is the bluray player.If the new device does not work then I know its a fault with the tv.

Toshiba tech said it may be a HDMI port problem on tv and would have to take it to be serviced.

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2013 03:49 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sorry but discs do not carry firmware updates.
Hmm, for whatever reason I thought they did. Oh well my mistake.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted November 27, 2013 04:38 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

Does your laptop or Pc have an HDMI out? If so, try connecting it to the TV.

PatD

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 01:06 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, I purchased a new bluray player today, Toshiba same model as my tv. When I went to hook it up ,the tv did not recognize the player in all 4 hdmi ports. which comes to the conclusion the TVs hdmi port is defective and needs to go to a service center. The tv is only a year and half old. 500 dollar tv errrrr

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 30, 2013 01:49 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, did you try re-setting the TV to it's factory setting?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74E4gXlGyf8

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 02:39 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and be sure to note down all your brightness / contrast / colour, etc. settings first, as they will all be re-set.

Brian, have you definitely performed a re-boot; ie. unplug the devices, wait and re-boot?

John Yapp
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 03:57 PM      Profile for John Yapp   Email John Yapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, does your tv recognise any other hdmi connections from other peripherals? Sounds like a digital handshake issue to me. Is there audio without picture, or just nothingness?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crickey, let's throw in "digital handshake".

Unlikely, since both devices worked together previously: unless either device has undergone significant firmware update.

Oh, and go ahead and define "digital handshake", as I can't be bothered.

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 04:25 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
I reset both devices still no luck. both devices worked in the past then all of a sudden not working

hdmi connections from other peripherals? nope

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 04:44 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does feel like the HDMI input has failed.

What is the exact model number of your TV?

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted November 30, 2013 05:23 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
the tv says no software update via wireless

Toshiba 40s51u

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2013 08:32 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, I have learned to stay away from Toshiba products years ago nothing but trouble.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 06:02 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
The Tech came over today and the diagnosis is a chip on the HDMI board has failed and the whole board has to be replaced,part 250.00 and labor is 155. I paid 500 for the tv almost two years ago and now have to pay 450.00 to fix. NOOOOO

maybe sell for parts and buy a new tv unless I can find another tech that will not clean my wallet

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 03, 2013 06:10 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can buy a new one for that price then sell the old one on ebay for parts as you say. Someone may have a broken screen and need it.

Matt McBride
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 07:05 PM      Profile for Matt McBride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that this was the issue. Like Pasquale said as well, you could buy a new tv for that price and sell the broken one for parts. It's just unfortunate a vital piece had to fail. [Frown]

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2013 08:55 PM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your assistance.

The good thing is I could stay in my jammies and did not have to lug the tv to a shop, the guy made a house call

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2013 01:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, Brian, not that uncommon; not that will make you feel any better. [Frown]

The result of using cheaper components in order to drive down the retail price.

In the UK, many retailers offer a 5 year warranty on new screens and I certainly wouldn't buy a costly set without it.

Have you contacted Toshiba customer support? I don't expect much, but you never know, they may show some degree of good will? Ideally, get the original retailer to handle it. Worth a try...

Brian Stearns
Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2013 01:02 AM      Profile for Brian Stearns         Edit/Delete Post 
Toshiba was a foreign guy tuff to understand, just gave me the typical unplugging and then turn on exercises. then directed me to a TV repair place. I called another place and a guy came out charging 50.00 to come and took the back off and use a gauge. 10 min process what a rip off. Anyways I realized later I purchased it at Costco,they give you an automatic 2 year warranty on all tv and electronic purchases. Im just two month shy of two years so I called them up and a tech guy is going to come out soon to fix it. Thank God I'm now a Happy camper I rather spend 400 on the necessities of life Film and Food, not to fix a tv.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2013 01:55 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC