8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I know its coming from Australia- But!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I know its coming from Australia- But!
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 01:01 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to an ebay auction from Australia, see what you think (look at the p&p).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8mm-reel-adaptor-plug-/301095957838?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item461ab7b54e

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 02:21 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry,
I haven't checked the postage calculator on auspost.com.au but would say it is probably fairly accurate considering he has chosen to mail it parcel post with a signature. However, I'm sure something that small could probably slip through in letter mail and signed for a bit less. Australia post isn't cheap however and it costs me about $18 to send 400ft of film to the UK.
In fact, the starting weight with Australia Post is "up to 500g" which explains why this item is so expensive, even though it weighs so little.

[ February 14, 2014, 05:51 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Trevithick ]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 03:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half the price from the US, and you get two of them!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Super-8-Movie-Film-Reel-Adapter-fits-Regular-8mm-Editor-Projector-Viewer-/251283719972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81ad4724

--------------------
Maurice

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 03:29 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A different postal system from a much greater populated country.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 03:30 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or different quantities from the same place

http://www.ebay. co.uk/itm/2-x-Super-8-Movie-Film-Reel-Adapter-fits-Regular-8mm-Editor-Projector-Viewer-/251283719972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a81ad4724

There's a link further down that page to "Super 8 and Dual 8 to 8 mm Movie Film Reel Adapters" in larger/cheaper per each quantity.

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 04:33 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan.

You are probably right, but I just looked at the listing again and it doesn't say it's a signed for service (but I hope it is for that price!).

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 05:23 AM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Barry. It's just signed for in Oz. It's $10 just to deliver in Oz which seems steep.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 14, 2014 01:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the funny thing about shipping is that it goes from one weight up to the next. Since it isn't flat, it couldn't just go in a card mailed like regular post, so it would have to go by "parcel" mail ...

... and with these specific weight limits, (mailing certain things, hoping that they fit within a certain mailing weight), you can have something incredibly small (like that) and yet, it might well ship for the same amount as a 200ft reel or perhaps even a 400ft reel, just because it fits within the same weight category. Strange but true!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jason Gronn
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Jason Gronn   Email Jason Gronn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think postage in any country is getting out of hand now when it comes to $$$, l use a courier now as it is much cheaper l just sent two 35mm trailers to the UK and was charged $67 through the postal service here in oz but somthing like this could be posted in an envolope you would think.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 04:34 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Jason. I went back to the UK at Xmas. I took a 16mm feature film with me to send to Luxembourg to save the guy some cash. It worked out around $100 whereas from Australia would have cost about $140. Ok, there was a saving made but considering i'd carried it halfway across the planet myself, not a fantastic price from Royal Mail.

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2014 05:51 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comment was printed twice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC