8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Time warp - digital didn't happen? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Time warp - digital didn't happen?
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 04:15 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the face of it 3D printers are a great idea but I have never heard anyone talk about the longevity of the components they make. [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 07:34 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the problem right now with 3D printers. They just cannot be used to make parts out of traditional hard wearing materials such as alloys of steel, aluminum, copper, and Titanium. All they can do at the moment is generate parts using a lamination of low strength plastic material in a process called stereolithography. Therefore 3d printers are used mainly to replicate parts and assemblies during the design phase of an item, for instance to check the form fit and function of an Aluminum metal part before committing to the expense of tooling for production injection molding casting.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 10, 2014 09:45 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the compound has to be in liquid form initially.

I like the idea of an any title hd to super 8 set up if it could be done as half the problem is that .

Shorts, features etc even L+H, s etc.

Best Mark.

Pete Richards
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2014 07:12 PM      Profile for Pete Richards   Email Pete Richards   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jus ton the old sound-sync methods, how did they work?
Was the projector speed synchronised to the record player, or was the record player synched to the film projector?

I have been wondering about this for ages, it is a piece of cake to put a hall effect sensor on a super8 projector to get a 'sync pulse' out of it, but I don't know how you would go about modifying the projector to run at a speed synched with a soundtrack.

Re 3D printers, we print in hard-wearing vinyl right now, it makes parts just as durable as any plastic parts inside a typical projector.

A company I consult to also prints directly in Stainless Steel, Bronze or Tungsten from their 3D printer with one of these:
http://www.engineering.com/3DPrinting/3DPrintingArticles/ ArticleID/7618/ExOne-M-Flex-Production-Metal-3D-Printer.aspx

I made a 35mm stills camera on my 3D Printer, it actually works okay!
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:113865

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2014 01:45 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As interesting as these contributions are, have we perhaps wandered off the subject a little, chaps? The idea was that in this time warp, digital hadn't ever existed. How would our hobby have advanced?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 23, 2014 03:14 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends a lot on what you mean by "digital". Do you mean digital video, or video of any kind or do you mean the information processing technology that is the basis of modern computing?

The problem you run into is bending the course of technological development so that ideas stemming from common beginnings didn't all happen together in the way that is natural.

Once all electronics was analog, but digital information processing developed as a consequence.The math underlying digital technology actually existed back in the days of oil lamps, but needed electricity for it to do anything useful.

So in a world without digital video (or digital anything), there shouldn't be analog audio either.

Since cinema was originally an optical/chemical/mechanical technology, we could still have movies, but the sound would have to be a synchronized record with a big cone for "amplification". Without any electricity this would need to be powered by a kid on a stationary bike with a pulley and belt (or an itty-bitty steam engine) and the illumination would need to be some sort of magnesium flare.

So this could actually be what our hobby would be like in a world without digital technology. My wife is very good about my little cinema, but I think this would be really pushing the limits!

To me the real question is without film equipment being falsely obsoleted, what new technologies could have been incorporated and how would they change what we do.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2014 05:49 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose if you dig deeply enough you'd find that a lot of things eventually sprung from obscure beginnings. As soon as the adverts for video began appearing in the home movie mags I'm sure we all sensed the death knell of our hobby as we knew it. Despite the high cost of the equipment you could own a whole feature on one cassette. It was certainly tempting to me at the time.
If that hadn't happened, how would real film have developed without overpricing itself for us cash strapped enthusiasts?

[ May 30, 2014, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Allan Broadfield ]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2014 06:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's true: early video was marketed by promoting the cost advantages over film: "You get the entire feature with sound for a tenth what a film feature would cost".

Frankly, that's hard to fight. If you aren't a film hobbyist and don't enjoy all the time and effort we do, it's basically a no-brainer. Over dinner in the early 80s my uncle (neutral in this) told me nobody would be using film at all in 5 years. It was hard to argue the point.

I'd say all you need to do to see what 8 and 16mm film would be like now if it remained comercially viable is look at the 35mm cinema, since that was actively developed until a few years ago. For example, 35mm prints have a digital soundtrack (between the sprocket holes actually) as well as analog tracks for the theaters without digital capability. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine we'd have this too, or the two system digital sound I mentioned earlier.

(8mm platter system, anyone?)

Sad to say though, if home film projectors had followed the path of most consumer electronics, all but the premium ones would be flimsy crap meant for a trip to the landfill a few years down the road. The build quality of even a mid-range 1970s machine is amazing when you look at it in this light. This is why we still have them.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted May 25, 2014 09:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Steve. I look at my Eumig 820 Sonomatic and the design and construction quality is superb. Same for the Eumig 938, although I would have preferred a little less plastic. And of course the Elmo GS1200, built like a tank - I wonder what they would cost today if they were still being made. Probably a small fortune, but as you say, it would most likely have a DTS and/or Dolby digital sound reader in addition to the mono optical and magnetic stereo capability.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2014 11:53 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So the conclusion is that the non digital time warp couldn't have happened? I worked on setting up the digital sound printing techniques in the lab for 35mm and they were legion; SRD, SDDS, DTS as well as good old analogue, both silver and later cyan tracks, all on one piece of stock, several different companies having their fingers in each pie. Stereo four track mag. had been replaced by the digital systems printed with the picture in one pass. What was more inevitable is that they would be replaced by the hard drive arriving rather like an oversized box of dairy milk. I was one of many made redundant by this advance, but despite my hankering with the past I don't consider cinema dead yet, despite the comments of Tarantino the other day.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2014 02:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is just a natural progression from the beginnings of electricity to analog signal processng to digital signal processing. The lightbulb begat the vaccuum tube, which begat the analog amplifier...and then the Eniac. In order for there to be no digital motion pictures a lot of people would have had to ignore all the possibilities of what that technology could do...as well as all that lovely money that could be made.

As far as quality goes, I am the Dad of an 11 year old boy and I've taken apart (and fixed) a lot of toys. I also work at places with industrial quality equipment. Modern consumer electronics looks a lot more like the toys and a decent quality movie projector looks a lot more like a piece of professional grade equipment.

Hey: here's a thought. There's a fairly recent technology that can electronically manipulate the opacity of a piece of glass. How about an electronic shutter? 3 flashes per frame at 18 FPS and two at 24.

(If you could use a high power LED as a projection lamp, you wouldn't need any shutter at all.)

--------------------

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2014 04:22 PM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent idea.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 25, 2014 05:12 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Modern projectors probably would have USB ports for things like synchronized sound recording and playback as well as computer controlled changeovers.

-it's entirely possible they would be shipped with a CD ROM inside the box!

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC