8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Quentin Tarantino speaks out in Cannes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quentin Tarantino speaks out in Cannes.
Paul Spinks
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2014 04:51 AM      Profile for Paul Spinks   Email Paul Spinks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this article from Sky News.

Quentin Tarantino has said screening films in digital is like forcing audiences to watch television in public - and the traditional celluloid he grew up with is now "dead".

Speaking at the Cannes Film Festival where he won the Palme d'Or prize in 1994, the cult director said: "The fact that most films aren't presented in 35mm means that the world is lost. Digital projection is just television in public.

"And apparently the whole world is OK with television in public, but what I knew as cinema is dead."

When asked by journalists how cinema could be saved, he said: "I'm hopeful that we're going through a woozy romantic period with the ease of digital.

"I'm hoping that while this generation is quite hopeless, that the next one will demand the real thing. I'm very hopeful that future generations will be much smarter than this generation and realise what they lost."

The movie world has been phasing out 35mm film for new releases, with most productions today in the West distributed in digital cinema format, due to its lower cost.

The Cannes Film Festival similarly projects its films in digital.

But Tarantino did concede that digital has some advantages.

"The good side of digital is the fact that a young filmmaker can actually now just buy a cellphone and if they have the tenacity to actually put something together ... they can actually make a movie." he explained.

"Back in my day, you at least needed 16mm to make something, and that was a Mount Everest most of us couldn't climb.

"But why an established filmmaker would shoot on digital, I have no ******* idea at all."

Tarantino said he has a "pretty terrific" collection of 35mm and 16mm prints at home, adding: "I screen them all the time, I'm always watching movies."

I hope that he is right about the next generation of cinema audiences realising what they have lost and demanding better.

Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 26, 2014 06:07 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howcome he can have 35mm if they're not allowed? Another actor had his films taken away from him. I must admit, I love Tarantino's points and I have said it a long time too, it's video and it's not the same. As for the advantage of digital, I can only see the cost. That "everyone" can make a movie isn't a good thing, as we get flooded with shit.

Cinema is dead and I weep, death to video (wishful thinking)

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2014 08:58 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's still not technically legal but no one cares. If you are referring to when Roddy McDowell had his house raided, that was over 35 years ago. Before the home video market. Enforcement of that stuff pretty much stopped with the rise of VHS.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 26, 2014 10:12 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was exactly who I was thinking of ... So no-one would come to ones house anymore you mean?

I think that should be how it should be, let the film lovers enjoy their precious prints, it's all we have left. Nothing new comes out on film anymore (hardly anyway)

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2014 04:44 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days, at least in the U.S., they don't even do this for digital piracy so film ownership isn't even on the radar.

For digital downloading there is now a three strike system and the worst that happens is a slower internet connection.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2014 04:36 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told once by a well known film collector, that you can legally own a 35mm print yourself (here in the U.K., not sure about anywhere else), you actually break the law when you project it! A bit pointless 'owning' the print in the first place then?

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 27, 2014 04:46 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, and it's projecting it, no matter if it's for money or not? I mean a film club with free membership, doesn't charge anything to view it for friends, still illegal?

Very confusing, since some of the 35mm collectors are insanely secretive

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted May 27, 2014 08:09 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the issue with 35mm was things being taken from it. Since the advent of DVD and home authoring and downloads etc etc, the issues with that side of 35mm are completely gone.

I`m pretty sure they will now sensibly view 35mm owning and running as a very tiny nieche hobby and really not worth any time, thought, or effort at all.

Its ironic that its the digital side of things that allows so much easy , cheap, and widespead duplication. So they have rushed along with the actual bringer of what they fought so hard against for all of those years !!!

Best Mark.

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2014 08:19 AM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't found 35mm dealers to be secretive. 35mm Forum is just as easy to access as this one and it is really easy to get collecting. That is, as long as you have a lot of $$$.

True there aren't as many films on eBay but its more because there aren't as many 35mm collectors.

--------------------

Six and Bisti

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted May 27, 2014 10:24 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking of some around here, not on the forums in particular ... Also, if you see Fosters list, it does only contain trailers on 35mm

Some people tell me not to talk to much, so that's what I mean with secretive

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC