8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Value of Reel Film Collecting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The Value of Reel Film Collecting
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 14, 2014 04:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the current issue of Home Cinema one of the staff writers states that his book cases are filled up with DVD's and he wants to sell them all off to buy blu rays of all his favourite titles. He is lamenting the fact that he suddenly realizes that his vast DVD collection is virtually worthless and that penny's on the dollar is the best he can hope for in terms of recovering his investment. When I read this I thought of how totally different the situation is for 'reel' film collections, where more often than not, for good titles and top quality prints, you can recover the original cost (or more) of the film, and the cost of second hand films continues to rise. I am not saying that people should buy films for investment purposes, but it is nice to know that our collections have 'reel' value compared with the digital equivalents.
And I have news for that writer. His blu ray collection is also about to nose dive in value with the advent of Ultra High Definition optical discs.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 14, 2014 09:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand why he can't just enjoy what he has regardless of the format. Just because something new is out there he shouldn't automatically feel the need to start over from scratch.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dino Everette
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 12:58 AM      Profile for Dino Everette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is a symptom of the new "Apple" way of life...Businesses now thrive on constantly reselling us the same things over and over again..Remember when we just had a phone to make calls? We had the same phone for years and years, and the calls were always clear and perfect.. Now we have to buy a new phone every 2 years...Same things with movies..The DVD's looked great on our standard def TV's, but now we have HD TV's, we need HD versions of the movies to get the "full" experience of the quality of our TV so we buy BluRays...OOPS, now the TV's are jumping up to 4K, so we are going to need higher quality versions of these same movies to get the "full" experience of 4K in the home....Products are designed to be obsolete in a few years now, and are actually engineered to fail..I have a computer that I use for digital transfers and have never connected to the Internet, or added any additional programs...It is 4 years old and still runs lightning fast, mainly because I have never added any of the "critical updates" that actually slowly kill your computers.....
Film is a terrible business model, because the films that are projected properly will last essentially forever, and so will most of the equipment...The fact that you can stick a roll of brand new celluloid film into a 100 year old camera or projector is bad business..Things need to break and become obsolete...Look at cars, they are practically made of plastic now..A super safe shell so we won't die surrounded by stuff that will easily break so we'll have to keep repairing it...We are a disposable society now that favors ease over quality..I feel very happy to have films to watch, I only wish I had not swallowed the CD/ipod koolaid and kept all of my old vinyl records.

--------------------
"You're too Far Out Miss Lawrence"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 01:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess everything will be experiencing the same. You cannot say just because you have a VW buggy then saying this little cute car is more valuable than a new smart car having seen its price keeps increasing.

I think LDs will be the same to film where the price is going to increase because of the rarity. It is not now, perhaps on the next 20 years from now.

Certain titles of VHS/Beta tape have now gone increase from the original price.

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 05:03 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never look at what any of this stuff might be worth in later years, including film. Its the enjoyment you get out of it over time, I must admit I have bought blu-ray titles of certain movies that I already own on DVD, simply to appreciate a much better picture and sound from some of the re-mastered for blu-ray titles.

The reel value of actual film collecting for me, is still the enjoyment of running a film and film projectors in a age where its now fast becoming a rarity.

Graham.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 05:07 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I see the only titles on LD or VHS that has increased are those that are not available on DVD. Over here you cant give VHS videos away as they take up so much space and most movie buffs have the same title already on DVD, so you eventually have to bin them if you don't want them yourself. Ive tried selling VHS videos cheap and no one wants them when the same title is available on DVD with extras, and take less shelf space.

Film is different as there is a fun element to them and we enthusiasts like to tinker with projectors and listen to the projector noise etc. and watch the film like not many other people in our area who just have flat screen telly's and DVD players. The fact you can get films which are not available on any other format just adds to the fun. There is an element of 'Boys toys' to films and film projectors. If film projectors were just designed (like video) where you push the 400ft reel into a slot and the projector did the rest without making a sound would we still like them, probably not. We like to see the film coming out of the back and onto a take up reel.

As for the price of certain film titles holding up well that is simply due to supply and demand. How long this stays depends on the collectors still wanting 'reel' film.

Graham S

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 15, 2014 08:10 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My thing with it is he has something, he's happy with it, something new and shiny shows up and immediately he becomes dissatisfied and even if it costs him dearly he has to get rid of it all and jump on the new bandwagon.

-this fellow isn't married is he?

(If yes, how many times?)

Why not get a newer player that plays both formats?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 11:19 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have replaced just a few of my DVD's with Blu Ray's, usually titles, such as CinemaScope westerns, where the better picture quality can really increase the viewing experience. I don't see much point in replacing 4:3 black and white titles from the 1930's and 40's with blu ray, although if there were classic films that I did not already have I would probably do so.
As far as 4K goes, I doubt very much If I will spring for it. I have been down the VHS,DVD, and blu ray path, and that is quite enough. I am very happy with my present Film and digital collection and equipment.
A couple of weeks ago I saw the new Sanyo curved 4K television. The picture detail was amazing, but it did not look real at all, and the curved screen made room reflections even worse.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 12:41 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also replaced a few dvd with blu-rays.

Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes double case. The Professionals plus a few others. All were cheap.

I would really like to replace all of them with film copies though.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 12:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One would think that I would be the last one to trumpet digital media, but I must applaud what has been done with Blu-ray copies of restored films, which really do, in nearly every case, offer better "resolution" than we can get on super 8 ...

(though I'm not letting go my film collection, of course!)

I was just reviewing the difference between the KINO Blu-ray of the classic Orson Welles film "The Stranger" with other versions on Blu-ray, the difference is quite striking, and I will most happily get that KINO Blu-ray of the film ...

but the person was right, these Blu-ray collection are "adequate" but worth little these days ...

... while, in many regards, our cine collection either retain they're value, (depending on the films you have in your collection, of course), or even gain more value, as we have all seen in the case of prints such as STAR WARS, ALIEN ect ect

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 15, 2014 01:50 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep everything, store it, lock it away with proper air control and forget about selling or trading it at present - The same idea held when cassettes were sidetracked to 8-track cartridges, the old 78's were passe, even LPs to a fault, same with comic book formats, gum cards, toys, packaging, boxes, monster items and boomer 60's in general - I was one of the early wise fools, kept 90% of the material, locked away - That's why I largely retired, was there, did it, have it, it still be - Shorty

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 15, 2014 05:28 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8 track I have only ever seen one here in the UK. That was way back in the late 70's. Where I worked one of my workmates had a Volvo fitted with an 8 track, the only one I ever saw.

My first video was VHS on test not really very good changed to Beta which did seem better at the time. Laserdisc topped them both.

Sadly we now seem to live in the throwaway times.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2014 02:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mainly and DVD I have replaced with Blu Ray versions are those where better elements were used and restoration was performed and then often only because of the grandeur the scenery involved. Not studio bound films but some originated on 16mm to see what they can look like when treated properly.

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 01:30 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we've been trapped into thinking of movies, music, comics... as investments. These things are worth what they're worth in entertainment value.

The bulk of color films I bought were very expensive and on Eastman stock. You know where this is going. Now they're were worth very little as faded stand-ins for the actual film.

No medium has proven to be great investment, my gut is that 2K (Blu-ray) is the last hurrah for physical media, enjoy it while it lasts. 4K media (in whatever form it takes) is just not likely to take a declining market by storm. Studios have only shown scant support for Blu-ray they've pulled way back on DVD and film hasn't even been on the radar in 30+ years. They'll probably be even less enthusiastic about marketing a professional theater grade digital medium to our living rooms. The only titles you'd see are ones that promise to sell hundreds of thousands, not the thousands.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 01:50 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, Timothy, films and cine material collecting must be a hobby, not an investment. But the fact is that films and projectors I bought some years ago worth now more than what I paid for them. I am not happy with this as anyway I don't intend to sell and the increasing prices prevent me to buy like I could when it was cheaper. The video tapes I have worth now nothing at all in Belgium and I doubt dvds will take value will the years. That's not to mention that vhs and dvd players may become difficult to fix in the future as they are not intended to last but to be replaced.

--------------------
Dominique

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 03:15 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to admit it here, but the minute my color films from the 80's began to warm was when DVD showed up, and decent video projectors geared to home use began to emerge. For me it's always been about an ideal presentation of the film, not the medium, so selling my color films when the selling was good was what financed my first digital projector.

Films being worth a great deal was always a double-edged sword. Sure, you get some of that investment back, but it costs dearly to collect in the first place.

It's also a true that technical dissatisfaction and double-dipping exists within single formats. I sold my Niles Cinema Super 8 print of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD favor of a Red Fox upgrade. The Niles print sold for about $35 less than I originally paid, the Red Fox print about cost about $35 more to buy. So there we go, I shelled out an extra $70 to get a better print.

I'm 47, and hoping that I'll be able to keep my current collection of disks afloat until I expire. Even if it means squirreling away machines or ripping titles to a different form of storage. If not, there's always been financial disappointment in collecting things as ephemeral as movies.

I didn't like seeing my $4000 video projector was fetching $750 when I was done with it, and I didn't like seeing my $250 print of Poltergeist turn red. However, I had a lot of fun out of both while they lasted.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 04:26 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had never the same pleasure with digital than with film. Why ? I don't know. Maybe because film is at my human level. Even if I am not good in technical and scientific things, I understand more or less of film works. And even if I cannot always fix things myself, I roughly see where the problem is. I am more lost with digital. So for me the medium is important and does matter.

--------------------
Dominique

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2014 05:50 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love actual film too, it just wasn't practical for me to collect it after a point. There were too many movies I knew I'd never obtain on 8mm or couldn't afford on 16mm and still wanted to see projected, in their entirety, and in the proper ratio. Storage is also a concern.

If I had a huge house and deep pockets I'd still have both film and disk projection. Now I scratch my film-itch vicariously through my friends collection and boards like this.

There are probably people on this forum who own and are watching my former collection. I had quite a few prints, took good care of them, and was very honest about their condition when I sold them. My area of interest was primarily horror and sci-fi from Melies to Rosemary's Baby.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 09:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Timothy, and like Rob Young and so many others on here I sincerely get your point of view. For me personally, as said before, I love my digital projection system and all what it brings, but there is just something about projecting real film that I cannot let go of despite once doing just that already.

It is funny really as you cannot explain what that certain something is except to say, it is probably the same reason why I have kept so much vinyl over the years despite having a massive cd and other digital music collection... weird I know how we cannot quite put our finger on what that certain something is, unless of course it is merely just nostalgia among us middle aged men!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 19, 2014 10:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, when you screen your Armchair Odeons DVD, which you are about to get from Keith Wilton, you will know for sure what that certain something is. I have just had three very pleasurable evenings screening all my Armchair Odeons and the series never ceases to amaze me. The dedication and ingenuity of the 'reel' home cinema enthusiasts is incredible, and Keith has captured all of it on these wonderful and totally professional videos, which are without doubt a legacy series of cinema in the home.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2014 12:49 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique said he not a tech guy, but if you think about it, showing film-on-film is rather tech-lovers format. That is if you were like me with the synchronized projectors and whatnot.

I amazed that people in these parts actually re-dub audio, that's certainly quite a slight of hand.

It's too bad that just as formats hit their peak in excellence, they invariably stop being produced. I think for in recent years most movies that were shot on film, were edited digitally, then returned to film for theaters still showing film. It made me wonder if you had the right setup, why super 8 couldn't be stuck from an HD digital record just as 35mm now can be?

I do get the film thing though, I still have "Super 8 horror" as part of my Amazon searches, just for old times sake. I even worked in a film-lab way back in the early 90s. The only good thing I can say about less film being processed is that it was a highly chemical process, which left lots of acid and heavy-metal tainted waste to dispose of, and that was just in the developing. Though I'm disks must surely have a wealth of nasty byproducts.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 04:40 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I have them already now and around a week ago I sent you a PM regarding these. Did you receive it Paul?

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 12:02 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I have sent you a PM.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 12:46 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent you one back Paul.

Also I really don't know what has happened to all the other "famous" collectors that once appeared on the Armchair Odeon videos. I know Barry Littlechild went totally digital from reading one of his closing articles in F.F.T.C. but I can't imagine they all did, especially Keith Wilton, Dave Worrall, John Clancy etc. You simply cannot ever lose that level of enthusiasm for the hobby, I wouldn't have thought.

[ August 20, 2014, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 20, 2014 03:56 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,
Here is the current status of my screening room, which has had some upgrades since the Armchair Odeon video:

-

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC