8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » "Chickens Come Home" Spanish version question ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Chickens Come Home" Spanish version question ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 04, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the Laurel and Hardy experts out there ...

I just ran into a Spanish version of "Chickens Come Home" on a database for download, but I was surprised to see that it has a running time of 55 minutes, where I have always known the English language version to run approximately 30 minutes.

So ....

Was "Chickens Come Home" released abroad (Mexico, for instance) as a feature, while it was a 30 minute short subject elsewhere?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted September 04, 2014 02:03 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The definition of short and feature may differ from one country to another. Classicaly, in French, a short (coutr-métrage) is less than one hour, so, starting from 60 minutes, it is regarded to a feature (long métrage). But not everyone agrees with that and there is something between short and feature (called moyen-métrage). About this specific, title, all I know is that at the beginning of the talkies, it was common to shoot different versions in different languages, so it may explain the duration difference.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 04, 2014 02:05 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was released in Spanish as "Politquerias", in a six-reel version with changes to the cast, Linda Loredo as Mrs. Hardy and Carmen Granada as Mrs. Laurel.

The English language release was three reels.

--------------------
Maurice

Zechariah Sporre
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2014 03:57 PM      Profile for Zechariah Sporre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This version is definitely worth watching. They have a few extra things including a scene with Hadji Ali. He could do some incredible things. Politiquerias/Chicken Come Home might be my favorite L&H film.

--------------------
There is a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 04, 2014 07:43 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Foreign audiences desired longer films and sometimes Roach pieced together the

shorts to expand a story.

Birth Marks (1929) and The Laurel-Hardy Murder Case (1930) were combined to

make a German release featurette as Spuk um Mitternact (1931)

Spuk um Mitternacht, Hunting at Midnight

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 05, 2014 12:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much of the almost 25 minutes of extra footage was actually extra Laurel and Hardy?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2014 03:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The featurette is sandwiched between Big Business and alternate versions of
The L-H Murder Case on this You Tube link. It's interesting that in the first alternate version there are men walking behind the boys as they are sitting on the dock. There are additional mannerisms in the scenes. Some scenes are extended.

The first version has the boys speaking in their own voices. Roach placed chalk boards as cue cards that were off camera and the script was written phonetically to enable them to speak foreign languages before films could be dubbed.

You Tube: Spuk um Mitternact

Compare it to the original BirthMarks Stan is not carrying the cello in the German release.

Birthmarks

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC